+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
I am in a similar situation. Although the travel ban is in place till 14 April ( In India), there is a probability that it might get extended. I too have lost money in flight cancellation and the refund from airbnb is taking time . The flight prices are very high. My visa expires on 18 April. I am feeling very hesitant to book anything now as the Indian government can extend the ban if it feels like it.
On one hand , I don’t want to be in a situation where I need to justify why I didn’t go , as the same would amount to giving the visa officer the discretion to cancel my application. On the other hand , I ve already faced two flight cancellations and two bnb cancellation. So , I just don’t want to lose more money .
I am so sorry you are going through this.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I am in a similar situation. Although the travel ban is in place till 14 April ( In India), there is a probability that it might get extended. I too have lost money in flight cancellation and the refund from airbnb is taking time . The flight prices are very high. My visa expires on 18 April. I am feeling very hesitant to book anything now as the Indian government can extend the ban if it feels like it.
On one hand , I don’t want to be in a situation where I need to justify why I didn’t go , as the same would amount to giving the visa officer the discretion to cancel my application. On the other hand , I ve already faced two flight cancellations and two bnb cancellation. So , I just don’t want to lose more money .
Cancelling an application on eligibility is one thing and cancelling on the basis of CoPR holder doesnt want to travel in COVID19 situation is another. They will not cancel your application if you put valid justification.

Reactions: smithplato

ish23

Nov 10, 2019
i am in the exact same place. My COPR and PRV expires on 17th of April. Even if i get the ticket for the 15th, i wont be able to make it to the airport as the ban in India ends most probably on the 14th night at 12. So, its not possible to reach delhi in just 3 hours from chandigarh, considering the complete lockdown. Also, my earlier ticket for the 26th of March got cancelled, but the money has not been refunded yet. Even if i try getting the direct flight for the 16th of April the rates are exorbitantly high, moreover i can not take a flight with a halt in USA because i don't have a valid transit visa. Also, there is not a guaranty that this ban will end on the 14th. They might just extend the ban till the end of April. i am really in a fix. Because its not really clear if they'll consider the present situation of ppl like myself to be genuine enough and just extend the date of the COPR or atleast open the application so that the required steps maybe taken.

Reactions: smithplato

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Landed in Toronto a couple of hours ago only with COPRs and PRV. Allowed to go to the province of destination provided I will stay in the airport till the flight.
Which airlines did you use? Were they aware of the new rules that COPRs can board the flight to Canada now?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Got an email from IRCC few hours back. Posting the content below to whomsoever it may concern. These are words from officials:

If you are outside Canada:

On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

If you were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but have not landed yet, you will be able to come to Canada. The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.

We invite you to consult the How COVID-19 is affecting business at IRCC page to answer your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

If you are inside Canada:

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients, including those who have received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and are currently inside Canada.

Validating a COPR at a Port of Entry (POE)

· Due to the current travel restrictions, you should not travel to a POE to validate your COPR.

· Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and you will not receive these services.

Appointment at a local IRCC office

· All in-person permanent resident landing appointments at the local IRCC offices have been cancelled.

· We are looking into alternative means to provide permanent resident landing services, including possibly by telephone.

· You will be contacted directly to reschedule your appointment.

· Local offices are reduced to critical services, therefore, no appointments can be scheduled at this time.

What happens next?

· Maintaining a legal temporary resident status is an important requirement. If your status is about to expire, you must apply online for an extension (visitor, student or worker).

· We invite you to visit our website regularly to receive up-to-date information as more announcements are made.

Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation closely and will provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Reactions: kangk

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Got an email from IRCC few hours back. Posting the content below to whomsoever it may concern. These are words from officials:

If you are outside Canada:

On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

If you were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but have not landed yet, you will be able to come to Canada. The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.

We invite you to consult the How COVID-19 is affecting business at IRCC page to answer your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

If you are inside Canada:

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients, including those who have received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and are currently inside Canada.

Validating a COPR at a Port of Entry (POE)

· Due to the current travel restrictions, you should not travel to a POE to validate your COPR.

· Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and you will not receive these services.

Appointment at a local IRCC office

· All in-person permanent resident landing appointments at the local IRCC offices have been cancelled.

· We are looking into alternative means to provide permanent resident landing services, including possibly by telephone.

· You will be contacted directly to reschedule your appointment.

· Local offices are reduced to critical services, therefore, no appointments can be scheduled at this time.

What happens next?

· Maintaining a legal temporary resident status is an important requirement. If your status is about to expire, you must apply online for an extension (visitor, student or worker).

· We invite you to visit our website regularly to receive up-to-date information as more announcements are made.

Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation closely and will provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html
this doesn't mean anything regarding extensions !!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, I landed in Toronto today.

What an exhausting experience, everything was a struggle except for the actual landing and passing through immigration lol.

I will give a detailed landing experience soon.

I didn't have a choice, I just got the last flight out of my country before they implemented a travel ban until 30 April, the date my COPR and PR visa was expiring.

So i had no choice and did it.

I will tell you all something already however, once you're actually in Canada is the easy part. Getting here is the hard part, even Air Canada in London did not really know about the exemptions, and i waited for ages while they verified and cross-checked.

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, I landed in Toronto today.

What an exhausting experience, everything was a struggle except for the actual landing and passing through immigration lol.

I will give a detailed landing experience soon.

I didn't have a choice, I just got the last flight out of my country before they implemented a travel ban until 30 April, the date my COPR and PR visa was expiring.

So i had no choice and did it.

I will tell you all something already however, once you're actually in Canada is the easy part. Getting here is the hard part, even Air Canada in London did not really know about the exemptions, and i waited for ages while they verified and cross-checked.
Thanks for letting us know! I am hoping to come Monday or Tuesday to Toronto. Could you also share how you could find a place to self-isolate and what your plans are for getting groceries since we aren't allowed to go out.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Thanks for letting us know! I am hoping to come Monday or Tuesday to Toronto. Could you also share how you could find a place to self-isolate and what your plans are for getting groceries since we aren't allowed to go out.
Got a few websites, i will check them tomorrow and let you know how good they are.

If you have foreign currency to exchange do it at the airport, made the big mistake of not changing more.

Now i can't really go and do it now even if i'm downtown.

Most places will not be very helpful with the self-isolation, we have to figure it out for ourselves.

Reactions: Dimzonchik

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Got a few websites, i will check them tomorrow and let you know how good they are.

If you have foreign currency to exchange do it at the airport, made the big mistake of not changing more.

Now i can't really go and do it now even if i'm downtown.

Most places will not be very helpful with the self-isolation, we have to figure it out for ourselves.
thanks; that is very good to know. Will exchange at the airport. I suspect we'll be able to use cash anywhere though in the next couple months?

Can you share those websites that you've mentioned when you have a moment?

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
I have booked my flight on march 26th but later cancelled due to covid19. I am a non US citizen resting in USA. My copr expires on april 4th. Are we currently allowed to travel to canada from USA by air or land?

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
I have booked my flight on march 26th but later cancelled due to covid19. I am a non US citizen resting in USA. My copr expires on april 4th. Are we currently allowed to travel to canada from USA by air or land?
Yes, either way is fine , exemption has been allowed for COPR and PRV holders. Standard challenges must be planned for in advance for strict 14 say isolation.

Needless to say if there are any symptoms ,air travel will be denied by check in staff at airport.

Best wishes, be safe.