+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Can you please ask them if we can return by the next flight
thanks; that is very good to know. Will exchange at the airport. I suspect we'll be able to use cash anywhere though in the next couple months?

Can you share those websites that you've mentioned when you have a moment?

tagarzain555

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, I landed in Toronto today.

What an exhausting experience, everything was a struggle except for the actual landing and passing through immigration lol.

I will give a detailed landing experience soon.

I didn't have a choice, I just got the last flight out of my country before they implemented a travel ban until 30 April, the date my COPR and PR visa was expiring.

So i had no choice and did it.

I will tell you all something already however, once you're actually in Canada is the easy part. Getting here is the hard part, even Air Canada in London did not really know about the exemptions, and i waited for ages while they verified and cross-checked.
Hey thanks for you feedback. What questions did they ask? Anything about place of residence for self-isolation or proof of funds?. And which country did you travel from?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Got an email from IRCC few hours back. Posting the content below to whomsoever it may concern. These are words from officials:

If you are outside Canada:

On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

If you were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but have not landed yet, you will be able to come to Canada. The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.

We invite you to consult the How COVID-19 is affecting business at IRCC page to answer your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

If you are inside Canada:

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients, including those who have received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and are currently inside Canada.

Validating a COPR at a Port of Entry (POE)

· Due to the current travel restrictions, you should not travel to a POE to validate your COPR.

· Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and you will not receive these services.

Appointment at a local IRCC office

· All in-person permanent resident landing appointments at the local IRCC offices have been cancelled.

· We are looking into alternative means to provide permanent resident landing services, including possibly by telephone.

· You will be contacted directly to reschedule your appointment.

· Local offices are reduced to critical services, therefore, no appointments can be scheduled at this time.

What happens next?

· Maintaining a legal temporary resident status is an important requirement. If your status is about to expire, you must apply online for an extension (visitor, student or worker).

· We invite you to visit our website regularly to receive up-to-date information as more announcements are made.

Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation closely and will provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Received same response yesterday. Wait and watch game till India lifts lockdown.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This waive off is for returning citizens and PR holders only.
https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2020/03/ontario-expands-coverage-for-care.html

Nobody should feel if they have COVID that they will not be seen to as per below extract from above link given any new immigrant interim travel/health insurance unlikely to cover anyway.

To ensure that anyone in need of care can receive it, Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. Additionally, the province will cover the cost of COVID-19 services for uninsured people who do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage. Together, these measures will ensure that no one will be discouraged from seeking screening or treatment for COVID-19 for financial reasons.

Last edited:

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, I landed in Toronto today.

What an exhausting experience, everything was a struggle except for the actual landing and passing through immigration lol.

I will give a detailed landing experience soon.

I didn't have a choice, I just got the last flight out of my country before they implemented a travel ban until 30 April, the date my COPR and PR visa was expiring.

So i had no choice and did it.

I will tell you all something already however, once you're actually in Canada is the easy part. Getting here is the hard part, even Air Canada in London did not really know about the exemptions, and i waited for ages while they verified and cross-checked.
Thank you for sharing. I wish you all the best in your new life.

Reactions: Islander216

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
THEY ARE ALLOWED
The exemptions include

• seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers
  • international students who held a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020
  • permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence "(before the travel restrictions were announced on March 18, 2020)", but who had not yet travelled to Canada

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
GOOD NEWS: IRCC Delhi just announced on FB page:

""Please be advised that anyone who is unable to travel to Canada to confirm their permanent resident status due to travel restrictions will be contacted.
IRCC Delhi will advise what steps need to be followed in order to travel to Canada after the travel restrictions have been lifted.""

Abdulgafar

Jun 1, 2019
GOOD NEWS: IRCC Delhi just announced on FB page:

"Please be advised that anyone who is unable to travel to Canada to confirm their permanent resident status due to travel restrictions will be contacted.
IRCC Delhi will advise what steps need to be followed in order to travel to Canada after the travel restrictions have been lifted."
I want to believe that this should apply to other local visa offices. I hope it does.

Reactions: Adam261

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
Yes, either way is fine , exemption has been allowed for COPR and PRV holders. Standard challenges must be planned for in advance for strict 14 say isolation.

Needless to say if there are any symptoms ,air travel will be denied by check in staff at airport.

Best wishes, be safe.
Actually i prefer not to travel during this time. I am just worried if an extension would be provided with copr.

Soph971

Mar 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

Like all of you, we have our CPOR (for us the expiration is 6th May). Our flights are booked with Air Canada for 28th April.
The thing is that our finial destination is Ottawa but our flight is not direct. We will travel from London Heathrow to Toronto and then from Toronto to Ottawa with a bit more than 1 hour transit in Toronto.

We have done some research but we are still not 100% sure about the following. Would any of you know ?

1) Is it realistic to think we could do the landing + SIN application in Toronto within less than 1 hour in this actual COVID 19 context ? (we understand that presently the queue of the international travellers should be small nowadays). Would you rather recommend to try to re-book a later connection flight to Ottawa? (How long should we really need in this Covid-19 context ?)

2) Would we be required to do the 14 days isolation in Toronto or would we be allowed to board our second flight to Ottawa on that same day ? (We would of course isolate in Ottawa in that case)

3) We will only be landing with our 2 checking and 2 carry on suitcases :) no shipping would follow us. Should we still anticipate to have to declare something? We are not really sure wether items such as laptop and tablets should be declared. Ours are from 2013-14 lol ... in good condition though ...but in our opinion don't worth "that" much and they would be landing with us anyway. Is the declaration only for items that may arrive after us?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Stay safe !