+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
it's mention on this website itself - click on logo - cororna virus - scroll down.
Yes but it is not mentioned on IRCC website. We can't take this as official eventhough it is a reliable source.

My problem is whether the airlines will allow us to board even if COPR holders can travel. I guess we will have to confirm from the airlines

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
I was supposed to fly to Canada tonight, but the airline has barred me stating they can only allow citizens and permanent residents to travel.

So unless IRCC gives official confirmation that they will allow COPR holders to land, then we are just treated as foreign nationals who are not allowed to enter.

I completely relate to the frustration, because i have already quit my job, and what is the point in looking for another one here when i'm due to land some time this year?

It feels like a punch in the gut to be honest. U.S citizens are allowed in but us, people who have made all of this effort, in order to settle there permanently are left in the lurch?

It feels bad.
Thanks Islander for update that Airlines are barring us.

I have a flight in 3 days and will have to cancel it. I am in a similar. No Job, No house, sold car and other belongings. This is total nightmare. My CoPR expires in 12 days too. It's been 2 days since Trudeau's announcement. They clearly didn't think about CoPRs and made the announcement in haste.
On top of it allowing US citizens to enter Canada but not us is like rubbing salt on wound.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No thought has been given to COPR holders who are due to land, and it's pretty disappointing.

Even to say that we officially cannot land because of the travel restrictions, at least we would know where we stand.

But it seems like every source i have consulted has stated we aren't exempted from the travel ban.

Reactions: NiR1963

Ali99947

Feb 24, 2019

I have a flight in 3 days and will have to cancel it. I am in a similar. No Job, No house, sold car and other belongings. This is total nightmare. My CoPR expires in 12 days too. It's been 2 days since Trudeau's announcement. They clearly didn't think about CoPRs and made the announcement in haste.
On top of it allowing US citizens to enter Canada but not us is like rubbing salt on wound.
And the US is probably more virus-infected than the countries we are coming from. The US is like the big daddy when daddy talks, the boy listens.

Last edited:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I am actually from a country where there are no cases yet lol.

If i didn't have to land, i'd actually be better of staying put until this blows over.

But the clock is ticking and they didn't give me a lot of time to land.

I know that we are assured of getting extensions now, but who wants to go through the hassle of that when you're already ready to land and have all your documents?

Just screen us at the airport like everyone else including the Americans.

kmuhammadsaad

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
I was supposed to fly to Canada tonight, but the airline has barred me stating they can only allow citizens and permanent residents to travel.

So unless IRCC gives official confirmation that they will allow COPR holders to land, then we are just treated as foreign nationals who are not allowed to enter.

I completely relate to the frustration, because i have already quit my job, and what is the point in looking for another one here when i'm due to land some time this year?

It feels like a punch in the gut to be honest. U.S citizens are allowed in but us, people who have made all of this effort, in order to settle there permanently are left in the lurch?

It feels bad.
I think you need to tell the airline that you have "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" (in as many words) and you must travel. Airlines would not know the difference between PR and COPR - so it's how you take this with them, might get u a chance

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020

It feels bad.
from which airoport? which country you are from? what was the excat scenario? please give us more details? which was the airline?

nicolasf

Dec 17, 2019
Well good luck trying to even reach your airline over the phone! I have been trying their number since this morning! It's Emirates Airlines and apparently they are swamped with calls related to flights cancellations/rescheduling...

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
I am actually from a country where there are no cases yet lol.

If i didn't have to land, i'd actually be better of staying put until this blows over.

But the clock is ticking and they didn't give me a lot of time to land.

I know that we are assured of getting extensions now, but who wants to go through the hassle of that when you're already ready to land and have all your documents?

Just screen us at the airport like everyone else including the Americans.
Maybe all the toilet papers are coming from USA :D

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020

welcome to the club, I am on the same situation as you, I sold all my goods, and my CoPr will expire in 18th april.... we are left in Limbo!

Reactions: ankurgupta325

Lumidee89

Feb 4, 2020
I think you need to tell the airline that you have "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" (in as many words) and you must travel. Airlines would not know the difference between PR and COPR - so it's how you take this with them, might get u a chance
That will be quite dangerous. What if one manage to get to the airplane and upon land one is refused entry into Canada?

nicolasf

Dec 17, 2019
Are you serious? They obviously know what a CoPR is! What they don't know is how to handle the current situation considering IRCC has been very vague regarding CoPR holders' situation...

Dia89

Mar 16, 2020
I have a flight with British Airways from New Delhi to Toronto via London, just called them. I told them I have COPR, not PR, they said they would allow me to board the flight, but I should ask Canadian Embassy if they would allow me to enter

Reactions: Bikram67

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
I got confirmation British Airways that they will not allow anyone other than Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents to board their aircraft. I don't think they understand what COPR actually is. To them it is just like any other temporary visa.

So unless one can prove COPR holders are allowed to land. The airlines will only accept those with Canadian passport and PR cards to board.