+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi guys, first hand information. This was my experience yesterday the 17th of March 2020 - flying from Dublin, Ireland to Toronto. I had a ticket initially bought for April 10th (my COPR expires first week of May). Upon hearing of the border closure I hurried to buy a new ticket for the 17th March (which would have landed me in Toronto on the 17th and therefore ban wouldn't apply). It was an Air Canada ticket but operated by United Airlines therefore the plane would have transmitted through New York (just transit). I got to the check in desk and immediately got told they will NOT carry ANYONE that didn't have a US or Canadian passport or resident cards. The airlines do not know what COPR is. I was at the airport for 5 hours before I gave up and went home. Only to arrive home and read the thread to find out that even if I was allowed to board, I would have been stuck at the border on arrival.

It is a really sad situation we are stuck in. One would have thought there would be an official statement regarding COPR holders by now. I understand why people are getting sentimental but it is best to stay put and wait for an official statement. If not, trust me, wherever you are flying in from, if you do not have a residency card or passport (US or Canadian) - you will be stranded. For now, fill the webform if you haven't already done so - there is a provision for attachment of documents, attach whatever proof you have of your efforts to land before the ban. If you don't have any, no cause for alarm, the COVID-19 situation is a global pandemic and everyone knows of the current travel restrictions. I believe personally that there will be formal communication regarding this in the next week or so. The authorities are still trying to figure things out themselves. I called the border authorities and was told the same thing - a COPR holder is NOT yet a permanent resident. You are only regarded as a permanent resident after you land and activate your landing papers.

I personally did my application myself but to those that used immigration lawyers, could be collectively put some pressure through these lawyers to have something tangible from the government? Many have resigned from work and with responsibilities of children, family and so on. It is not going to be easy and we simply cannot afford to just hang in limbo without a definite plan of action. This is my own 2 cents guys. Stay safe and lets pray this nightmare ends soon! Cheers x
Thank you mate! its all about patience now guys...fill the webform and wait, I still have one month left for my CoPr ... and many people are on the same situation

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
We need to do a pressure on the Webform page...please send to the federal and to the visa office.
you can fill the WebForm in 2 different ways basically

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hi guys, first hand information. This was my experience yesterday the 17th of March 2020 - flying from Dublin, Ireland to Toronto. I had a ticket initially bought for April 10th (my COPR expires first week of May). Upon hearing of the border closure I hurried to buy a new ticket for the 17th March (which would have landed me in Toronto on the 17th and therefore ban wouldn't apply). It was an Air Canada ticket but operated by United Airlines therefore the plane would have transmitted through New York (just transit). I got to the check in desk and immediately got told they will NOT carry ANYONE that didn't have a US or Canadian passport or resident cards. The airlines do not know what COPR is. I was at the airport for 5 hours before I gave up and went home. Only to arrive home and read the thread to find out that even if I was allowed to board, I would have been stuck at the border on arrival.

It is a really sad situation we are stuck in. One would have thought there would be an official statement regarding COPR holders by now. I understand why people are getting sentimental but it is best to stay put and wait for an official statement. If not, trust me, wherever you are flying in from, if you do not have a residency card or passport (US or Canadian) - you will be stranded. For now, fill the webform if you haven't already done so - there is a provision for attachment of documents, attach whatever proof you have of your efforts to land before the ban. If you don't have any, no cause for alarm, the COVID-19 situation is a global pandemic and everyone knows of the current travel restrictions. I believe personally that there will be formal communication regarding this in the next week or so. The authorities are still trying to figure things out themselves. I called the border authorities and was told the same thing - a COPR holder is NOT yet a permanent resident. You are only regarded as a permanent resident after you land and activate your landing papers.

I personally did my application myself but to those that used immigration lawyers, could be collectively put some pressure through these lawyers to have something tangible from the government? Many have resigned from work and with responsibilities of children, family and so on. It is not going to be easy and we simply cannot afford to just hang in limbo without a definite plan of action. This is my own 2 cents guys. Stay safe and lets pray this nightmare ends soon! Cheers x
So you travelled back to Dublin?

British Airways told me the exact same thing. Even they did not understand what COPR is and were clear that I need a written confirmation from Canadian Embassy that I am allowed to enter Canada otherwise only those with a Canadian Passport or Resident card are allowed to board their aircraft.

imthelgg

Mar 18, 2020

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sorry it didn't work out though.

Sidd247

Mar 16, 2020
We need to do a pressure on the Webform page...please send to the federal and to the visa office.
you can fill the WebForm in 2 different ways basically
On the webform there is a provision to select your visa issuing office. Once you submit your webform goes to that particular visa office. How do we send to the federal office please?

I think this is a good idea. Guys please, if you have not filled a webform, DO SO ASAP! With numbers and volumes, they will see this as a collective problem and will have to do something quickly. For now, maybe they are not even looking as COPR related issues as they have clearly said their priority is getting their citizens home.

If the pandemic clears out and some are still able to use their COPR, excellent. Because you fill a webform doesn't mean your COPR will be cancelled, you are just letting them know that you may not be able to use it before given that there is no timeline currently to the situation. So please do not be afraid to fill the webform. It is actually for our own good.

Sidd247

Mar 16, 2020
So you travelled back to Dublin?

British Airways told me the exact same thing. Even they did not understand what COPR is and were clear that I need a written confirmation from Canadian Embassy that I am allowed to enter Canada otherwise only those with a Canadian Passport or Resident card are allowed to board their aircraft.
I was not even allowed to board from Dublin. This all happened at the check in desk!!!

Reactions: SithLord

Sidd247

Mar 16, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sorry it didn't work out though.
Thanks mate, I'm glad it didn't. It would have been worse getting stuck at the border in a foreign country. Fortunately for me, it was just a soft landing., I haven't given up my home or job yet in my home country. Sadly, its not the same for others. It really is a shame!

Sidd247

Mar 16, 2020
So I guess we have no other option but get confirmation from IRCC that COPRs are allowed to enter.
Unfortunately, that's the best now. As much as we think the logical thing to do is let us in, we are only speculating. I wouldn't advice anyone to make travel plans based on hear say, anything you don't see on the official website cannot be relied upon.

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
Im so glad to see this thread. I just received my COPR today and im concerned too about when to fly and land. it's not just about the entering but also about quitting jobs, leaving everything secure and then starting all over again IN A MARKET THAT IS ON SLOWDOWN!
what is everyone's views on that?
are the number of jobs, interviews etc., still the same? im expecting it will take longer than it was taking earlier.

Reactions: SithLord

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Currently, Canada and Us are talking about the deals for what should be allowed to go through borders. As they are planning to let commercial passing through the borders. Shoppers, tourists and visitors are not allowed to cross the border.

As mentioned in the previous messages in this forum; do not worry about the expiration of your CoPR as far as you inform IRCC that you will not be able to travel in a given time. And if you decide to travel before your CoPR ends (assuming the ban will be removed in the following month); just let them know about your updated plans (through Web Form) that you will be landing before the deadline of CoPR.

Anyways if you notify them by web-form that you will not be travelling within the given time. They are going to check your profile/application for any change in your travel plans at the end of your CoPR expiration (if you have updated them before using a web-form). Even if it gets expired, your application is still approved for PR. They are gonna just reopened your application and will go through the final steps again and give the answers in 90 days.

I hope that helps!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada-us-border-1.5501201 (Article for the deal between the US and Canada)
This is very reasonable , and it was mentioned clearly on Canada.ca for the web form of the COPR expiry.

The issue is that i feel it is not very certain , i hope they give us some more substantial information , that is flexible as well.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Sidd247

Mar 16, 2020
Im so glad to see this thread. I just received my COPR today and im concerned too about when to fly and land. it's not just about the entering but also about quitting jobs, leaving everything secure and then starting all over again IN A MARKET THAT IS ON SLOWDOWN!
what is everyone's views on that?
are the number of jobs, interviews etc., still the same? im expecting it will take longer than it was taking earlier.
You are certainly not alone dear. We all are in the same boat. If your COPR just came out today however, I would imagine you would have quite a bit of time to travel from it expires.

Yes you are right, the economic impact of COVID-19 already as it is has been catastrophic and it is only getting worse. There are signs that countries will go into recession again. People are already losing jobs due to loss of income as businesses have had to close down and so on. I would imagine there would be similar backlashes in Canada also.

But we have to remain hopeful and positive. The idea behind the border closure is to stop the virus from being brought into the country (which doesn't make sense as there have been more reported cases in the US). If we all do our bits to ensure it doesn't keep spreading within our respective communities (by self isolating and social distancing) I believe the situation will be under control very soon. But most importantly, we need some direction from the authorities.

imthelgg

Mar 18, 2020
Thanks mate, I'm glad it didn't. It would have been worse getting stuck at the border in a foreign country. Fortunately for me, it was just a soft landing., I haven't given up my home or job yet in my home country. Sadly, its not the same for others. It really is a shame!
You are fortunate, my wife and I have resigned, she, officially on paper, and me "verbally" but I have not sent in the paperwork due to the situation. I do hope the start clarifying this situation for COPR holders, I think it's fair to say we deserve some direction as well.

Ksirikon

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
I was supposed to fly to Canada tonight, but the airline has barred me stating they can only allow citizens and permanent residents to travel.

So unless IRCC gives official confirmation that they will allow COPR holders to land, then we are just treated as foreign nationals who are not allowed to enter.

I completely relate to the frustration, because i have already quit my job, and what is the point in looking for another one here when i'm due to land some time this year?

It feels like a punch in the gut to be honest. U.S citizens are allowed in but us, people who have made all of this effort, in order to settle there permanently are left in the lurch?

It feels bad.
Hello sir,
Are you flying to Canada tonight or you dropped please confirm sir . Actually my husband went to Canada in 2018 December, last Saturday he came to hyderabad ( india ) to take me and kids with him but the very next day morning we came to know about the travel advisory mail stating that boarders are going to be closed so fly as soon as possible so he preponed 27th of march flight tickets to 22nd of march but again heard the news that they are not allowing the COPR holders. Me and my kids are COPR HOLDERS, so stress levels are like hell , please reply.
Thanks in advance.

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
You are certainly not alone dear. We all are in the same boat. If your COPR just came out today however, I would imagine you would have quite a bit of time to travel from it expires.

Yes you are right, the economic impact of COVID-19 already as it is has been catastrophic and it is only getting worse. There are signs that countries will go into recession again. People are already losing jobs due to loss of income as businesses have had to close down and so on. I would imagine there would be similar backlashes in Canada also.

But we have to remain hopeful and positive. The idea behind the border closure is to stop the virus from being brought into the country (which doesn't make sense as there have been more reported cases in the US). If we all do our bits to ensure it doesn't keep spreading within our respective communities (by self isolating and social distancing) I believe the situation will be under control very soon. But most importantly, we need some direction from the authorities.
What is everyone doing though? Are y'all booking tickets? if yes, for when?