+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Jeev2020

Feb 17, 2020
Hi quick question - I read somewhere (I cant find it now) that foreign nationals (holding valid CoPRs) residing in USA can enter Canada, provided that they haven't been to another country in the past 14 days. Is this information correct?

i.e. We are Indian nationals and valid CoPR holders (valid till 25 April), who recently moved to the US for work (on March 14)......if let's say by 7th April ( /+14 days of residing in the US) we try to enter Canada for a soft landing, would this be permitted?

Any foreign nationals holding valid CoPRs in the US in the same situation?

Any response would be most appreciated.
Ok.. wait I found it - here is where I picked the information from:

Banning entry of foreign nationals by air travel from all countries except the U.S.
Under the Aeronautics Act, the Minister of Transport will require air carriers on flights to Canada to deny boarding to any passenger who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and has resided in any country other than the U.S. in the last 14 days.

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:

• all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.
In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

As this measure applies to travel by air, it does not apply to surface traffic or marine shipping.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Last thing I may add:
They will can solve the situation by renewal of the CoPr and PV for people with expiry date during the Banning period.
for example:
If the ban lasts from 18 march to 01May, people who had expiry date on 20 april and coudnt travel, they will have the possibility to renew their CoPr.
that is a possibility that I am also looking for and they should react towards it if trhey have no other idea in their head right now.

Reactions: Adam261

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Well, he started it by saying that exception should only be made within CoPR holders by discriminating based on their expiry date.
I meant by if the Ban will last 2 months, people with expiry date who are planning to go during the 2 months, they should let them in.
as if Not then these people will lose their CoPr.
if a person has expiry date on december 2020 and the ban will last 2 months, cant he pospone his flight until after this ban?

Ali99947

Feb 24, 2019
I meant by if the Ban will last 2 months, people with expiry date who are planning to go during the 2 months, they should let them in.
as if Not then these people will lose their CoPr.
if a person has expiry date on december 2020 and the ban will last 2 months, cant he pospone his flight until after this ban?
What if this (Dec 2020) person has also quit his job and exited his life in his home country and had a flight booked for next week?

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
What if this person has also quit his job and exited his life in his home country and had a flight booked for next week?
dear friend. thats exactly my situation.!!! my flight for 31 march, expiry date 18 april. and I have prepared everything including selling all goods.
if I knew the ban will happen I wouldnt sell my good my friend

herain312

Star Member
Oct 30, 2019
Kitchener, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-10-2019
Med's Done....
12-11-2019
I believe they shoudl allow entrance to CoPr people wh will have expiry date very soon.
In my situation my CoPr expires on 18th April.
If the ban stays for 2 months for example, then I will lose my CoPr....so technically its a mess right now... lack of exact information, lack of certitude, there are many people who quit their job, sold their good and they are now waiting to know their fate...
the worst thing after all, the webform says that we should wait 28 days for a response.

28 days means CoPr expirided.

in my opinion, they should let in the citizens, the PRs of course and the CoPr people with expiry date which is happening soon.
they increase screening methodes in teh airoports.
and everyone entring to canada should isolate himself for 2 weeks.

Currently, Canada and Us are talking about the deals for what should be allowed to go through borders. As they are planning to let commercial passing through the borders. Shoppers, tourists and visitors are not allowed to cross the border.

As mentioned in the previous messages in this forum; do not worry about the expiration of your CoPR as far as you inform IRCC that you will not be able to travel in a given time. And if you decide to travel before your CoPR ends (assuming the ban will be removed in the following month); just let them know about your updated plans (through Web Form) that you will be landing before the deadline of CoPR.

Anyways if you notify them by web-form that you will not be travelling within the given time. They are going to check your profile/application for any change in your travel plans at the end of your CoPR expiration (if you have updated them before using a web-form). Even if it gets expired, your application is still approved for PR. They are gonna just reopened your application and will go through the final steps again and give the answers in 90 days.

I hope that helps!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada-us-border-1.5501201 (Article for the deal between the US and Canada)

nicolasf

Dec 17, 2019
The big problem for CoPR holders is that we are put in the same basket as tourists & visitors.

Independently of when our CoPR expires, some of us have been making BIG, MAJOR decisions in the past months if not weeks. For instance, my wife and myself have both RESIGNED from our jobs, have SOLD our property as we were flying mid-April to Toronto.
Even worse,we are both expats in Dubai, meaning our residence visa will expire in a month.

I am all for ensuring the population's safety, but such an announcement cannot be made without careful planning. CoPR holders who are planning to SETTLE in Canada, should have the same rights as permanent residents. This has been a year long project for my family and we cannot just sit and pray for things to get better without a clear of when the borders will reopen.
I am pretty sure most CoPR holders would be willing to go through mandatory quarantine if allowed to land. This beats dealing with quarantine HERE and the stress of having no job, nowhere to stay and spending our savings until we finally are allowed to fly to Canada...

Really hope they handle our situation a bit better. I am sure they have been swamped with all web forms submitted in the past 48 hours... Hopefully they can make a clear announcement regarding specifically CoPR holders...

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
Hey buddy I don't like the statement "with expiry date which is happening soon.", why discriminate within CoPR if those people that have waited for their entire one-year CoPR to expire then maybe they just don't want to go and are not serious.
I just don't understand this argument of discriminating on the basis of when someone wants to land after getting CoPR. IRCC gives give a visa expiry date for flexibility. Not everyone gets a whole year before their CoPR expires. Some people get 7-8 months and others might get 1-2 months depending on various circumstances and how long their CoPRs took to process. People can have professional,personal, and financial responsibilities to take care of before finally packing up and landing. For families it can take months of planning before booking tickets. NOT EVERYONE LIVES BACKPACKING. Infact in current scenario s people who actually sold out their belongings, quit jobs, and perhaps gave up their home will be the ones most impacted.

Ali99947

Feb 24, 2019
The big problem for CoPR holders is that we are put in the same basket as tourists & visitors.

Independently of when our CoPR expires, some of us have been making BIG, MAJOR decisions in the past months if not weeks. For instance, my wife and myself have both RESIGNED from our jobs, have SOLD our property as we were flying mid-April to Toronto.
Even worse,we are both expats in Dubai, meaning our residence visa will expire in a month.

I am all for ensuring the population's safety, but such an announcement cannot be made without careful planning. CoPR holders who are planning to SETTLE in Canada, should have the same rights as permanent residents. This has been a year long project for my family and we cannot just sit and pray for things to get better without a clear of when the borders will reopen.
I am pretty sure most CoPR holders would be willing to go through mandatory quarantine if allowed to land. This beats dealing with quarantine HERE and the stress of having no job, nowhere to stay and spending our savings until we finally are allowed to fly to Canada...

Really hope they handle our situation a bit better. I am sure they have been swamped with all web forms submitted in the past 48 hours... Hopefully they can make a clear announcement regarding specifically CoPR holders...
You have put it in the best way possible! CoPRs are not tourist or visitors. They are people you have been through extensive screening to see if they are suitable as permanent residents and should be considered as such. It is very unfair to ban CoPRs from entry since they are people who have exited their existing life to start a new one in Canada.

Reactions: hypervariate123

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Currently, Canada and Us are talking about the deals for what should be allowed to go through borders. As they are planning to let commercial passing through the borders. Shoppers, tourists and visitors are not allowed to cross the border.

As mentioned in the previous messages in this forum; do not worry about the expiration of your CoPR as far as you inform IRCC that you will not be able to travel in a given time. And if you decide to travel before your CoPR ends (assuming the ban will be removed in the following month); just let them know about your updated plans (through Web Form) that you will be landing before the deadline of CoPR.

Anyways if you notify them by web-form that you will not be travelling within the given time. They are going to check your profile/application for any change in your travel plans at the end of your CoPR expiration (if you have updated them before using a web-form). Even if it gets expired, your application is still approved for PR. They are gonna just reopened your application and will go through the final steps again and give the answers in 90 days.

I hope that helps!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada-us-border-1.5501201 (Article for the deal between the US and Canada)
Thnak you for your answer.
The problem now is: after filling the webform, they said they gonna answer only after 28 days which is maybe after expiry date or close to expiry date, which will leave us in very short notice or after.
How can someone solve this?

SCOTCAD

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Hi Guy, i am a COPR holder. i have booked my flights travelling from Delhi on march 21st. I can see on this website that COPR holders are not included in travel ban and can travel if they wish too. ( https://www.canadavisa.com/coronavirus-covid-19-impact-canada-immigration-visa-border-latest-news.html#gs.078lgg ). Is it reliable source ? or should i cancel. please Reply.
In all honesty I think this information is uncertain at this point and has not been officially confirmed, i think the website should take that down until clarified specifically by CIC. It seems a bit irresponsible to communicate this when it could be damaging if not true.

Reactions: Ksirikon

nicolasf

Dec 17, 2019
Hi Guy, i am a COPR holder. i have booked my flights travelling from Delhi on march 21st. I can see on this website that COPR holders are not included in travel ban and can travel if they wish too. ( https://www.canadavisa.com/coronavirus-covid-19-impact-canada-immigration-visa-border-latest-news.html#gs.078lgg ). Is it reliable source ? or should i cancel. please Reply.

2. Can I travel to Canada if my permanent residence application has been approved?
According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), individuals who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) are allowed to travel to Canada. Individuals are instructed to contact IRCC via its web form if their COPR and PRV expires, or is about to expire, due to their inability to travel to Canada due to COVID-19. In such cases, IRCC will re-open the permanent residence applications of such individuals for review in 90 days.

Well this again leads to confusion! Half the sources I am asking are telling me that CoPR holders can't travel and the other half, the opposite (like your source...)

What are we supposed to do??

Last edited: