+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Hi, everybody, I have a question:
I just got my new COPR: After taking a brief look at both my old and my new COPR, they both say "City of dest.: WINNIPEG", "Prov. of dest.: MB", and "Category: SW1". As far as I remember I applied to the FSW program. Does it mean that I need to settle in Winnipeg? or can I just settle anywhere in anglophone Canada?
Best regards
Hi there

You must have selected MB and Winnipeg when you applied as the province and city you will settle in. I chose Ontario (Toronto as destination) and that's what is in my COPR. Since you applied as FSW, you can settle anywhere when you arrive. I did however read somewhere that you cannot land at Quebec but can move there after landing...don't know how true that is

Last edited:

Yassinesnit

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
Hello mates. I landed in Canada 3 weeks ago and i'm wondering how long does is take to receive the PR card to the address I provided the borders officer?

rbbnb22

Feb 4, 2021
Arrived in Canada on 28th Feb as a PR. Wanted to share my journey if it helps others. Although, I am already forgetting some specifics here and there.

Had a negative PCR test within 72 hours of my connecting flight (Delhi-Dubai-Toronto). Flight check-in asked me to show the negative test, vaccination proof and ArriveCan Receipt. Delhi immigration was smooth, all they asked me was why I was going to Canada. For security check pretty much had to take out all electronics from my laptop bag including chargers. Had no issues at the stopover in Dubai either (1.5 hours).

Arrived in Toronto and they have kiosks set up where you scan your travel document (in my case passport) and answer questions (including declaration). Everyone who landed had to go through this so had to wait. You get a receipt based on your answers. You take it and then wait again in a queue to talk to a customs officer. You show them the receipt and any other documents they ask for (I think I only had to show my passport and CoPR to them). I don't remember what he asked me, but was likely something straightforward. He put a pink sticker on my passport and directed me where to go next.

Next, went through immigration. Had to wait a bit again. The officer took my CoPR, asked me questions (any criminal record etc.), asked me to write down my address in Canada (I had given my friend's address for PR card delivery) on both the copies and to sign at 3 spots on each. He also asked me how much money I was carrying. Needed to provide a number even when I was carrying less than 10000. He wrote that number on my CoPR as well. Didn't ask me anything else. Took the CoPR copy with my photo, stamped my passport and that was it. Make sure to keep the kiosk receipt and your CoPR copy with you. By the looks of it, that officer was new to this (someone else was answering some of his questions regarding handling some information for other people before my turn came up). Highly possible things would be different for a different/seasoned officer.

Next, went to get my bags. Collected them with ease and was about to exit the area. But a person was checking the kiosk receipt and based on that allowing us to exit the area. He stopped me for a second and asked me what food I was bringing (I had declared that). I had listed some of the items (standard stuff that's allowed). He asked me if I had any stuff like ghee, I said no and he let me leave. A very quick exchange, but the receipt is important. Keep it with you.

When leaving, because I had a pink sticker on my passport, I had to get a test done there (there were people directing us to the right place). It was free and had to create an account on the Switch Health app. I had already done this before leaving (within 72 hours) so didn't have to wait. They took my details, gave me a kit, I took the kit to the nurse's station they had set up in the same area, the nurse collected a sample and that was it. They gave me no information regarding quarantine or anything. Since I am fully-vaccinated and new rules started on the 28th itself, it wouldn't have impacted me anyways.

I left the airport soon after that. You can get a Presto card and even a SIM card before leaving. I didn't get the SIM there, though. Also, I asked about getting my SIN at the airport and was told that's not possible currently.

Hopefully, I covered everything (or at least what I recall).
So, how do we get SIN. Is there a special process for it?
Recently received CoPR. Planning to land in Canada in next 1-2 months. But, I will be returning back to USA.
How long it might take to get SIN?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hello mates. I landed in Canada 3 weeks ago and i'm wondering how long does is take to receive the PR card to the address I provided the borders officer?
Landed on 11th Jan, still waiting for pr card. Right now its around 3 months of wait on average

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
So, how do we get SIN. Is there a special process for it?
Recently received CoPR. Planning to land in Canada in next 1-2 months. But, I will be returning back to USA.
How long it might take to get SIN?
Best bet is to book appointment at Service Canada by raising a request. They need passport and signed CoPR.

You can also walk in , however the wait time can be very frustrating.

There is an option to apply online for SIN. however this option needs you to have an address proof.

Reactions: Wotsit and gtcan19

Ammutam

Star Member
Jun 10, 2019
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
30-06-2019
Doc's Request.
20-06-2019
Nomination.....
Nominated
AOR Received.
09-11-2019
Med's Done....
02-11-2019
AOR:Nov 2019
COPR expired: March 2021
UE Email replied:10/19/21
Baby added:01/14/2022
3rd Medical passed:02/15/2022
PPR:3/25/2022

Rowsp

Star Member
Sep 29, 2019
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Hi

I landed 4 days back. Was told by border officer at the airport that it could take upto 6 mnths (covid delays)

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Just a quick landing update from me

I flew to Vancouver with Air Canada in Partnership with Virgin Australia. I flew Virgin Australia from Melbourne to Sydney and that was where the problem started. They did not want to check me in because according to them I did not have an ETA. It didn't matter how many times I told them I did no need one as I carry an Austalian passport plus COPR they still did not get it. Finally after me being more firm in my approach they let me check in but put a note in their system stating that I might not have the correct document to travel with and my docs needed to be rechecked in Sydney. Sigh

Fast forward to arriving Sydney at the Air Canada self check in area. There was a staff from Ait Canada checking people's documents(Arrivecan, vaccine etc) before they check in. One of them told me the same thing that the Virgin Australia staff told me that I couldn't travel without an ETA. At this point I was more irritated than pissed. I referred her to the IRCC requirement page while at the same time indirectly telling her that it's disappointing that a member of check in staff at the airline does not know their country's requirement. She directed me to another lady. The lady she directed me to looked like she was in charge and knew her stuff. The minute I gave her my passport and COPR. She told me I didn't need an ETA. So I was allowed to go

Arrived Vancouver at 7am. Quick self kiosk at the airport was used and kiosk gave me a receipt which I took to the first immigration guy who chatted away to me about his trips to Australia. He asked for my goods to follow list, COPR, passport, kiosk receipt and directed me to get.my luggage and head to immigration. Luggage was taking it's sweet time to come through the carousel so I decided to go to immigration first.

Just outside immigration there is an airport staff directing people I guess to the right immigration officer. She took my passport, kiosk receipt and COPR and asked me to present those to the officer she directed me to. She told me I do not have to present my goods to follow to the immigration officer. She told ne it would be signed off by someone else. I did the opposite after I left her. I included all in my pile of paper work for the immigration officer as the first immigration officer advised. Glad I did because my goods to follow was stamped by the immigration officer completing my landing documentation

I was the only one at immigration and the whole process took less than 10mins. The female immigration officer took my passport, COPR,address to send PR card to and Goods to follow. Then she asked those questions in our COPR which I answered. While I was waiting 3 more people joined. Officer congratulated me on being a PR and I left.

I did not have to do any pre arrival Covid testing.

Last edited:

gtcan19

Sep 11, 2020

I flew to Vancouver with Air Canada in Partnership with Virgin Australia. I flew Virgin Australia from Melbourne to Sydney and that was where the problem started. They did not want to check me in because according to them I did not have an ETA. It didn't matter how many times I told them I did no need one as I carry an Austalian passport plus COPR they still did not get it. Finally after me being more firm in my approach they let me check in but put a note in their system stating that I might not have the correct document to travel with and my docs needed to be rechecked in Sydney. Sigh

Fast forward to arriving Sydney at the Air Canada self check in area. There was a staff from Ait Canada checking people's documents(Arrivecan, vaccine etc) before they check in. One of them told me the same thing that the Virgin Australia staff told me that I couldn't travel without an ETA. At this point I was more irritated than pissed. I referred her to the IRCC requirement page while at the same time indirectly telling her that it's disappointing that a member of check in staff at the airline does not know their country's requirement. She directed me to another lady. The lady she directed me to looked like she was in charge and knew her stuff. The minute I gave her my passport and COPR. She told me I didn't need an ETA. So I was allowed to go

Arrived Vancouver at 7am. Quick self kiosk at the airport was used and kiosk gave me a receipt which I took to the first immigration guy who chatted away to me about his trips to Australia. He asked for my goods to follow list, COPR, passport, kiosk receipt and directed me to get.my luggage and head to immigration. Luggage was taking it's sweet time to come through the carousel so I decided to go to immigration first.

Just outside immigration there is an airport staff directing people I guess to the right immigration officer. She took my passport, kiosk receipt and COPR and asked me to present those to the officer she directed me to. She told me I do not have to present my goods to follow to the immigration officer. She told ne it would be signed off by someone else. I did the opposite after I left her. I included all in my pile of paper work for the immigration officer as the first immigration officer advised. Glad I did because my goods to follow was stamped by the immigration officer completing my landing documentation

I was the only one at immigration and the whole process took less than 10mins. The female immigration officer took my passport, COPR,address to send PR card to and Goods to follow. Then she asked those questions in our COPR which I answered. While I was waiting 3 more people joined. Officer congratulated me on being a PR and I left.

Wow !! Thanks for sharing. That`s so smooth after landing. Best wishes for your new beginning.

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020

Thanks a lot for sharing!!!! Really appreciate it!
Just around that eTA, I can see how that will be a problem; I am flying Qantas and they will not even be as kind as Air Canada.
Thinking of applying for an eTA; better to have it. Wondering whether it will create any additional issues. From some people on the forum, apparently not.

I had a few questions:
With the goods to follow, did you use those two forms - B4 and B4A?
Did you give an address in Vancouver or Toronto for PR card?
Did they ask if you're doing a soft landing or did that ever come up?
Did you do a DPD (Australian Passenger Declaration) to return to Aus?

All the best! Enjoy your trip.
Cheers

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks a lot for sharing!!!! Really appreciate it!
Just around that eTA, I can see how that will be a problem; I am flying Qantas and they will not even be as kind as Air Canada.
Thinking of applying for an eTA; better to have it. Wondering whether it will create any additional issues. From some people on the forum, apparently not.

I had a few questions:
With the goods to follow, did you use those two forms - B4 and B4A?
Did you give an address in Vancouver or Toronto for PR card?
Did they ask if you're doing a soft landing or did that ever come up?
Did you do a DPD (Australian Passenger Declaration) to return to Aus?

All the best! Enjoy your trip.
Cheers
Hi Tom

I had an ETA which was cancelled after I received my COPR. I believe once you get COPR you are no longer considered a tourist/visitor. Just that they might be fewer cases of people with passport that is eligible for ETA travelling like us so some airline staff have no idea. A while back on this same thread, a British guy had to explain to the airline staff in the UK that he did not need to have an ETA

The lady I met at the front desk at Air Canada said all she had to do was type in my passport number and the system showed I did not need an ETA. She told me my COPR information was already uploaded on the online system she checked and my passport number was linked to it hence why she asked for the passoort number to check.

I used only the goods to follow form. I printed it out from the link you provided however the immigration officer who completed my landing told me there was a front page missing which she printed out for me right there and there. The front page is not in included in that link or any other link I checked. Never even seen the front page until she printed it out for me

The address I gave is in New Brunswick. My niece's address.

No. Soft landing never came up.

I will need to do DPD when I return to Oz

PS RAT is accepted. Plus it will be cheaper for you guys compared to PCR lol

Last edited:

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Wow !! Thanks for sharing. That`s so smooth after landing. Best wishes for your new beginning.
Thank you.

The process in canada was so smooth. I left the airport within 45mins of arrival. Maybe it's because there was no queue/long line of people that arrived on different flights. We arrived at 7am on the day. I was in an uber leaving for my accommodation before 8am.

Last edited:

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hi Tom

I had an ETA which was cancelled after I received my COPR. I believe once you get COPR you are no longer considered a tourist/visitor. Just that they might be fewer cases of people with passport that is eligible for ETA travelling like us so some airline staff have no idea. A while back on this same thread, a British guy had to explain to the airline staff in the UK that he did not need to have an ETA

The lady I met at the front desk at Air Canada said all she had to do was type in my passport number and the system showed I did not need an ETA. She told me my COPR information was already uploaded on the online system she checked and my passport number was linked to it hence why she asked for the passoort number to check.

I used only the goods to follow form. I printed it out from the link you provided however the immigration officer who completed my landing told me there was a front page missing which she printed out for me right there and there. The front page is not in included in that link or any other link I checked. Never even seen the front page until she printed it out for me

The address I gave is in New Brunswick. My niece's address.

No. Soft landing never came up.

I will need to do DPD when I return to Oz

PS RAT is accepted. Plus it will be cheaper for you guys compared to PCR lol
Ah right.... I sent an email this morning to the Sydney Consulate and an IRCC webform about the eTA; will see whats their response.
Hopefully the airline will allow us to board without issues. My ticket is with Qantas transiting Sydney and LAX, so might also have to re-checkin at Syd. How long was your halt? I have about 2 full hrs; hope thats enough to transfer from T3 to T1 with 2 small kids.

But thanks for sharing that, very useful. I will insist the airline staff to check the passport number for check-in. And also very useful info about the goods to follow; I might as well get on it asap.

I'm travelling end of April, so hopefully I don’t even have to do the Covid tests at all, since Canada is removing it (@gtcan19 posted an article here).
Did you have any Covid related issues? Like get selected for random testing on arrival?

Btw, AUS federal govt is also saying they are removing Covid tests from April 17; So that will also be good for me. LOL.
Have a good time in Vancouver. Safe journeys.