+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
No. Didn't have anyone with PR or citizenship. All family member only had COPR.
Workers, students and approved permanent residents who haven’t landed should not travel yet. We’ve announced exemptions but they’re not in place. Travel restrictions are still in effect for these groups.

So even though the IRCC still maintains the above travel restrictions as updated on their website today, clearly people are STILL travelling despite being explicitly asked not to.

With that being said, they are apparently not refusing at port of entry. So if CoPRs are not being refused landing, I guess it's upto each individual who wants to take the risk of being denied boarding or worse, being turned back at POE.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Also remember everyone, our PR is not finalised until we land and successfully pass through immigration subject to an immigration officer's approval.

Let's not put ourselves in a difficult position which could end up with disastrous consequences.

Let's follow the rules, it doesn't reflect well when we travel when we're not supposed to, and you don't want to put that in your immigration officer's mind that you're someone who doesn't follow instructions.

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
I landed yesterday in Toronto. I didn't see anyone using Kiosk. There was literally no queue and enough CBSA staff so nobody had to wait more than 5 minutes. I completed all of my fist landing procedures (COPR) in 25 minutes including customs declaration.
where did you come from? did your airline allow you to fly with COPR?

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Yes, Can't find the link too. Means there could be a blanket announcement is coming in that will not need the webform. Just a gut feeling.
I found a change in Web form.Earlier it used to ask whether ur application us processed inside or outside Canada.We being Indians were supposed to select outside canada.But today it asks is ur application processed outside canada?And it says we have to select NO for this q if we are impacted by Covid19.
What does this mean?
Anyone who filled the latest form??Should I select No as I am impacted by covid19 ?
By impacted they mean in general or abt being infected(god forbid!!!!) ??
That means Delhi is not deciding abt extension request??

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
It's great you managed to land, but IRCC has given clear instructions that COPR holders should not land at the moment, as the travel restrictions still apply.

So if people want to take that risk, that's up to them.

If someone gets barred from a flight or refused at their port of entry they will have only themselves to blame.
Actually Air Canada didn't have clear instructions and they were telling me too that I can board with copr.According to them copr is as gud as pr So if they allowed to board canada has to accept .I cud have taken a chance but it was really risky As it is airports and airlines have become like breeding grounds of Corona Virus .There are very high chances of infection .Better to take advantage of travel ban and stay safe at home with the hope that we will get extension.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Actually Air Canada didn't have clear instructions and they were telling me too that I can board with copr.According to them copr is as gud as pr So if they allowed to board canada has to accept .I cud have taken a chance but it was really risky As it is airports and airlines have become like breeding grounds of Corona Virus .There are very high chances of infection .Better to take advantage of travel ban and stay safe at home with the hope that we will get extension.
I understand, but this is the airline's mistake and it's inconsistent with the instructions from IRCC.

Most people will not have a problem once they arrive in Canada, but if an immigration officer asks you whether you were aware that COPR holders were not allowed to travel, so how is it that you landed today what do you tell them? And what happens if you are unlucky and someone at Air Canada just on your connecting flight is actually aware of the rules, and doesn't let you board your flight to Canada, then what?

So many things can go 'wrong', but the truth is that you will actually be in the wrong for knowing you're not supposed to travel and travelling anyway.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I had my COPR expiring in a couple of weeks and had a confirmed ticket. I called Air Canada a day before my flight and they said the same 'things changing rapidly' and asked to try and check at the airport'. So I took a chance and was ready for both outcomes.. allowed to board or disallowed.... I followed airlines guidance and instructions and did whatever I could within my rights. Even the CBSA officers were very helpful and greeted us into the country well. So I don't see it like working against instructions.

In terms of the Self Isolation rule, they are recommending everyone to self isolate for 14 days. Its not quarantine... you can still go out for grocery and necessities... but no unnecessary interaction with people.

I have a place to stay here for a few days and didnt need to worry about food and grocery.. so worked out for me. Everyone's case is different so you do what suits you best.
Bro I do agree what you said but I don't agree about this specially the bolded words :

In terms of the Self Isolation rule, they are recommending everyone to self isolate for 14 days. Its not quarantine... you can still go out for grocery and necessities... but no unnecessary interaction with people.

Self isolation means completely cut off from others. You should not go out and do groceries. Imagine if you are infected (I hope you are not and always stay in good health) then you will be touching the surfaces or things and putting others at risk. If I were you then I would only travel if I have someone over there to take care of me in providing me the groceries. The COVID19 situation is happening because of this as people are not taking it seriously and following the orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck_in_uk

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Because of people who are taking risk in travelling with CoPR prior to announcement are making IRCC annoyed, Check the tweet posted 1 min back

The travel exemptions announced on March 20 are not yet in effect for temporary foreign workers, international students or approved permanent residents that have not yet landed in Canada. Don’t travel before an announcement is made.

Also a warning note is added in link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
I found a change in Web form.Earlier it used to ask whether ur application us processed inside or outside Canada.We being Indians were supposed to select outside canada.But today it asks is ur application processed outside canada?And it says we have to select NO for this q if we are impacted by Covid19.
What does this mean?
Anyone who filled the latest form??Should I select No as I am impacted by covid19 ?
By impacted they mean in general or abt being infected(god forbid!!!!) ??
That means Delhi is not deciding abt extension request??
Wrong ineference --> "But today it asks is ur application processed outside canada?
It says -- > "Is your application Being processed by an office outside canada?"

That means if your application is currently under process and is being processed outside canada. In your case it is already processed. So you can choose "No"

In next step it gives an option to choose "Permanent residence(applied online)" as one of the option.. but then nothing specific to Covid-19.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

seff786

Apr 26, 2019
@syedzulfiqar_ali
please don't go around Toronto doing groceries, its self-quarantine and that means self-isolation, not walking around your local supermarket.

As it is, the situation is bad, and we just need one bad case of someone like you going on a copr to Toronto in order to totally screw things up for others.
It is quite remarkable you managed to make it down there, but now that you have, stick to the self-isolation request and we will all be the better for it.

Reactions: saad_im

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
@syedzulfiqar_ali
please don't go around Toronto doing groceries, its self-quarantine and that means self-isolation, not walking around your local supermarket.

As it is, the situation is bad, and we just need one bad case of someone like you going on a copr to Toronto in order to totally screw things up for others.
It is quite remarkable you managed to make it down there, but now that you have, stick to the self-isolation request and we will all be the better for it.
Exactly. All it takes is a few people like these who intentionally ignore clear instructions to ruin it for everyone.

Lost for words

Reactions: Ali99947

Ethan07

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Keep it up guys ...soon they will announce more details about CoPR people...keep it up...patience ! And if anyone goes to Canada...PLEASE STAY IN ISOLATION FOR 14 DAYS AS REQUESTED BY THE AUTHORITIES...We have to show an example of a future good citizens of Canada...take care everyone

ryan1990

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
So wanted to update you guys.

I flew in last week from Boston and a passenger on board tested positive. Officials traced me as well and I just got a test done and in self quarantine until I get the results.

I developed a slight fever yesterday.

I was lucky enough to have an apartment to quarantine myself in. For those who are relying on Airbnb and travelling with kids, be careful. It can happen to anyone.

Sukre

Sep 1, 2018
So wanted to update you guys.

I flew in last week from Boston and a passenger on board tested positive. Officials traced me as well and I just got a test done and in self quarantine until I get the results.

I developed a slight fever yesterday.

I was lucky enough to have an apartment to quarantine myself in. For those who are relying on Airbnb and travelling with kids, be careful. It can happen to anyone.
Really sorry to hear this! Wish you cure soon. And wish your results be negative!

CanImmigrant_sa

Sep 13, 2018
London, United Kingdom
T
Bro I do agree what you said but I don't agree about this specially the bolded words :

Self isolation means completely cut off from others. You should not go out and do groceries. Imagine if you are infected (I hope you are not and always stay in good health) then you will be touching the surfaces or things and putting others at risk. If I were you then I would only travel if I have someone over there to take care of me in providing me the groceries. The COVID19 situation is happening because of this as people are not taking it seriously and following the orders.
Totally agree. I have a place and enough food and grocery already arranged for.. no need for me to go out. the words in bold are not my words I asked a CBSA officer about SIN card and this was his reply...