+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
For the (lucky) ones who have landed - I have a few questions about using the "ArriveCAN" app and what do during quarantine:
  1. For the "How are you entering Canada" and "Entry by Air" option. What did you answer to "is your travel exempt?"
  2. Do you have to report your symptoms everyday through the app?
  3. What else are you required to do when you are in quarantine other than isolating? Do you have to stay in touch with the authorities?
    • Can I provide my textnow number (virtual number) at the airport?
As far as I know, you do not need to use the app:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#ua

I used the paper form, they give you one on the plane. Entered in quarantine address and all accurate info except, on the paper form it has a list of travel exemptions incl. emergency service worker etc. It doesn't have an option for copr/settling/permanent resident etc so I did not circle any of the options (as non were accurate). This gets handed in at the airport, it doesn't get looked at while you are at the airport.

So, I believe, answers to 2 & 3 would be no and nothing, no. Except for being reachable / available if they do want to check up on you. I have been here approx 1 week and no contact as yet.

Not sure about the virtual number thing.

Reactions: M160RA

Kavitaforpt

Aug 17, 2018
Hi Everyone,

This forum has been extremely helpful with handling my Fathers PR case who will be travelling from NY to Toronto.

I wanted to share our experience.

His COPR and Visa Expired in April 2020. He was unable to travel due to COVID and raised a web form advising that he can’t travel. He received generic emails in response to his web form.

He then raised 3 web forms in June and July advising IRCC that he is ready to travel. He received the generic response to all 3. The web forms were very generic advising IRCC that he was ready to travel from NY to Toronto and that his COPR and VISA had expired and if he can be advised on next steps.

However, he raised another web form in August where he went into a lot of detail and advised them of the following.

Quarantine Plans

How will he travel from the airport to the residence

Where he will be residing, address and the person he will be staying with

How will he have access to groceries and medical help if needed

Once he raised the detailed web form, he received the following reply within a few days.

“Please be advised that we will reissue a new COPR and PRV. Kindly send your documents back, including the COPR, directly to our office. Include a prepaid air waybill, a return envelope and a copy of this email with your invoice. Send it to the attention of xxxxxxx.”

Hope the above helps everyone in the same situation.
Are you from India? If not which country

dsr236

Jul 24, 2020
Hi,

We landed in Toronto from Bahrain on Aug 1st. They were only interested to know our quarantine plan. They did not ask us our plan after quarantine. Again this depends on case to case. My suggestion would be to keep answers ready for all possible scenarios.

Hope this helps :)
Hi

Congrats on the landing. Are you planning on settling in Canada or planning on returning after quarantine is over?

Cansav

Dec 12, 2019
Hello,
Is there anyone within Canada, waiting for the pr validation. I've been waiting for months. It's taken forever. Can't apply for jobs. It's been so slow and agents at the call center have no information on how to do it. Been checking website like crazy for any new updates. None so far. Is there anyone who knows how and when is it possible or at least a deadline when the process will be in place. Thanks

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello,
Is there anyone within Canada, waiting for the pr validation. I've been waiting for months. It's taken forever. Can't apply for jobs. It's been so slow and agents at the call center have no information on how to do it. Been checking website like crazy for any new updates. None so far. Is there anyone who knows how and when is it possible or at least a deadline when the process will be in place. Thanks
IRCC is activating the PR status over email for inland applicants. Is your CoPR expiring soon?

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
IRCC, saying they will issue electronic authorization, but NDVO will most probably be asking for re medicals and re stamping (delaying and money making tactics), there goes the whole year !! I am quite sure IRCC in there minds are thinking of delaying, hoping the vaccine comes out !!! :p

Last edited:

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Sorry for your loss in business.

I think this is very early to answer anything related to 1 year from now. Give it some more time and see how it goes. I believe, IRCC will not refuse your application as you are already approved and overcame all the hurdles.

All the best.
@crackMBA Thank you. I too hope for the same as Canadian's are known for being compassionate. I shall wait and see how my situation improves. But the uncertainty in IRCC's future change of course apprehends me.

Reactions: crackMBA

padmavis1990

Apr 17, 2020
Looking for some inputs

I have gone through the last 100 pages of this thread with no luck

I am on Indian passport living in USA (with my wife and my 10-month-old infant)
My CoPR was approved on May 14th, 2020 (after March 18th)
My CoPR expires on Sep 5th, 2020

I do not want to travel right now and potentially expose my family to COVID.

The statement from IRCC is not clear enough
Travelling from the US (group 4)
Applicants with expired COPRs can travel to Canada from the US for non-discretionary reasons to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• their application was approved
  • they received their COPR and PRV and
  • they have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada
Only permanent resident applicants who are in possession of an expired COPR and PRV and who are ready to travel to Canada should contact IRCC using the Web form, to provide information on when the COPR expired and the non-discretionary reason(s) for travelling. Once Web forms are received, the Client Support Centre will refer them to the appropriate processing network (CN or IN), which will assess them based on the eligibility criteria below.

At the same time, I do not want to risk cancellation of my PR

Just to get the general group consensus --> is it more prudent to travel now to avoid unnecessary hassle of extension? How difficult is getting an extension when applying from the US

In my case, I cannot immediately travel back to the US as I will need visa stamping

Thanks in advance!

Apr 18, 2019
Hello Guys.
Received following in reply to the raised webform-- "ready to travel". What do think about point 1 and 3? Do we have to have a ticket for traveling and lease document (the easiest one among three!) to establish the willingness to live and settle before the extension? Or these can be addressed during our travel upon receiving the CoPR extension?

===================================================================================================
Dear IRCC client:

This email is destined to clients who have written to us to let us know that they are ready to travel to Canada. Thank you for your patience while we have been adjusting the way we work during the pandemic.

According to our records, you have indicated that you are now ready to travel to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident. Currently, only CoPR holders whose travel to Canada is considered essential are able to enter Canada. In addition, some public health measures are in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.

Accordingly, we ask that you confirm that you are able to fulfill the requirements described below. In order for IRCC to determine if you can indeed travel to Canada, you must provide the following:

1. Your plans to live and settle in Canada upon arrival
· documents to support your living situation in Canada (i.e. address, lease agreement, home ownership document)
· employment plans in Canada, (i.e. location of work, letter from employer)
· any other relevant information.

2. How you plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada, including how you will have access to groceries, get medical care, and other essential services. While in quarantine, you will not be able to leave your place of quarantine for any reason. This is mandatory even if you have no COVID-19 symptoms.
· proof of funds (i.e, bank and/or credit card statements)

3. your proposed or confirmed travel itinerary
· a description of your proposed or confirmed travel itinerary, including travel tickets if you have already purchased them

Please provide the above information to IRCC by replying to this email. We will evaluate your request upon receipt and let you know whether or not you are approved to travel to Canada at this time.

Please note that only approved permanent residents now able to live and settle in Canada will be allowed into the country at this time due to the ongoing travel restrictions. Travel for temporary stay for reasons such as tourism, entertainment or simply to finalize applications without staying in the country is not allowed and will not be permitted.

Thank you,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
===================================================================================================
hi did you happen to get any reply? we are in the same boat we had raised a ready to travel webform and then replied with our qurantine plan and other details .

Kindly let me know if you got any update. will be helpfull

thank you

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Looking for some inputs

I have gone through the last 100 pages of this thread with no luck

I am on Indian passport living in USA (with my wife and my 10-month-old infant)
My CoPR was approved on May 14th, 2020 (after March 18th)
My CoPR expires on Sep 5th, 2020

I do not want to travel right now and potentially expose my family to COVID.

The statement from IRCC is not clear enough
Travelling from the US (group 4)
Applicants with expired COPRs can travel to Canada from the US for non-discretionary reasons to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• their application was approved
  • they received their COPR and PRV and
  • they have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada
Only permanent resident applicants who are in possession of an expired COPR and PRV and who are ready to travel to Canada should contact IRCC using the Web form, to provide information on when the COPR expired and the non-discretionary reason(s) for travelling. Once Web forms are received, the Client Support Centre will refer them to the appropriate processing network (CN or IN), which will assess them based on the eligibility criteria below.

At the same time, I do not want to risk cancellation of my PR

Just to get the general group consensus --> is it more prudent to travel now to avoid unnecessary hassle of extension? How difficult is getting an extension when applying from the US

In my case, I cannot immediately travel back to the US as I will need visa stamping

Thanks in advance!
I think COPR approved after Mar 18 can not travel at all(I am not aware of current scenario but it was there till few days back. You can check by raising a web form).
If you are exempted, you should travel if you dont want the hassle of getting an extension otherwise extensions may take time.

Also, out of those 100 pages that you read you may have come across this little success story from USA:

"
Hi Everyone,

This forum has been extremely helpful with handling my Fathers PR case who will be travelling from NY to Toronto.

His COPR and Visa Expired in April 2020. He was unable to travel due to COVID and raised a web form advising that he can’t travel. He received generic emails in response to his web form.

He then raised 3 web forms in June and July advising IRCC that he is ready to travel. He received the generic response to all 3. The web forms were very generic advising IRCC that he was ready to travel from NY to Toronto and that his COPR and VISA had expired and if he can be advised on next steps.

However, he raised another web form in August where he went into a lot of detail and advised them of the following.

Quarantine Plans

Once he raised the detailed web form, he received the following reply within a few days.

“Please be advised that we will reissue a new COPR and PRV. Kindly send your documents back, including the COPR, directly to our office. Include a prepaid air waybill, a return envelope and a copy of this email with your invoice. Send it to the attention of xxxxxxx.”

Hope the above helps everyone in the same situation. "

Hope this helps. All the best.

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
I think COPR approved after Mar 18 can not travel at all(I am not aware of current scenario but it was there till few days back. You can check by raising a web form).
If you are exempted, you should travel if you dont want the hassle of getting an extension otherwise extensions may take time.

Also, out of those 100 pages that you read you may have come across this little success story from USA:

"
Hi Everyone,

Quarantine Plans

Hope the above helps everyone in the same situation. "

Hope this helps. All the best.
No. Approved permanent residents travelling from the USA have always been exempted from travel restrictions related to the date of issue of CoPR. Please see link below.

@padmavis1990 you may travel now but you have to travel before your CoPR’s expiry date. If you are unwilling to travel before the expiry date of your CoPR, you may apply for an extension. However, according to this thread, there have been few extensions processed since March, and extension processing dates are highly unpredictable.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Reactions: crackMBA