+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Copernicus

Mar 22, 2020
What exactly is the issue with airbnb address with respect to SIN and PR Card (or even for bank account)? Can anybody please explain that.
Long before the lockdowns and pandemic, I thought airbnb is the best option even for longer term stays if you can find a good stay until you are sure you can and should afford a rent or lease agreement.

I'm in the same situation. My passport is at the VFS from what was last communicated to me. Althought my application got approved just before the travel restriction date, I couldn't collect it. Didn't apply for courier service but I know from the SMS, email and when I login to my application. Tried contacting them to check if they can still courier it but can't remember if I even got an automated response.
Thank you for replying.

I hope you have adequate time before COPR expiry to collect the passport and land of course.

I did contact VFS, but got the generic automated reply, saying that things are shut and they will notify us when things open us. Will let you know if they send any other replies to my emails.

Hopefully they will reopen soon.

Good luck for your application!

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Has anyone applied for new SIM card in Canada by online? What’s the process to do it when in quarantine? I am asking this for SIN address proof, so my airbnb address and my PR card address (friend’s address) are different. Would like to know if there is a way to get the SIM card to my airbnb address but the monthly bill to my friend’s address so that acts as address proof?

Ali99947

Feb 24, 2019
I landed on Monday in Toronto and staying at a family friend address in Brampton for self-isolation and possibly longer. I would like to ask how do I prove my residency in Toronto for SIN card, Bank account and Health card? Do I have to get my own place to prove my residency? I am living with my family friend for free. Also is there a way to get SIM card for mobile while in quarantine? I am currently feeling very useless, unable to do anything.

Finally which bank should I open my account in? All banks are offering new immigrant accounts but which is the best one for a single person with no dependents. Also, which SIM card should I get? What is the best mobile company in Canada?

Last edited:
Reactions: CountessO

Kiran9999

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hi guys. I have raised a webform to inform IRCC my inability to travel before the expiry of my COPR (9th July 2020). I have received the following response.

"Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided regarding the expiration date of your COPR and have forwarded an extension request to the responsible office.

Since your file was approved at the Canadian visa office in New Delhi, India, we have forwarded an extension request.

They will contact you if further information is required."

My visa office was CPC Ottawa as per my calls to IRCC during my pre-PPR stage. I am not sure why they said New Delhi in their email. Can anyone clarify what exactly this email meant?

Thanks.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hi guys. I have raised a webform to inform IRCC my inability to travel before the expiry of my COPR (9th July 2020). I have received the following response.

"Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided regarding the expiration date of your COPR and have forwarded an extension request to the responsible office.

Since your file was approved at the Canadian visa office in New Delhi, India, we have forwarded an extension request.

They will contact you if further information is required."

My visa office was CPC Ottawa as per my calls to IRCC during my pre-PPR stage. I am not sure why they said New Delhi in their email. Can anyone clarify what exactly this email meant?

Thanks.
Although your application was processed at CPC Ottawa your COPR was generated at New Delhi Visa office so extension request was forwarded to NDVO.

The Visa office where your COPR was generated is the one who will handle your COPR extension too.

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
It appears that immediate departure from Canada by personal car would have been fine, i.e. soft landing. But this isn't what CBSA have been telling us.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39166

Exception — leaving Canada

8 A person who must quarantine themselves under section 3 or remain in quarantine at a quarantine facility under section 4 may leave Canada before the expiry of the 14-day quarantine period provided they continue to quarantine themselves until they depart from Canada and provided they depart in a manner consistent with the travel requirements set out in section 2.2.
Seniors

@SithLord

Please comment.. do you see this being possible?

Reactions: tsps

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
my parents receive COPR and is expiring in October 2020. They are not at all comfortable travelling and wanted me to check if it can be extended till next year summer. Should I submit the webform now or wait and submit a little later?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
my parents receive COPR and is expiring in October 2020. They are not at all comfortable travelling and wanted me to check if it can be extended till next year summer. Should I submit the webform now or wait and submit a little later?
Webform for inability to travel can also be raised after expiry of CoPR as per IRCC guidelines. Also as per link in IRCC survey email there was one question where they asked if you are planning to travel to Canada in 2021. Why to hurry when CoPR is expiring in Oct 2020? You can raise the webform in Sept depending upon the situation with virus at that time. I know there is risk involved for parents but things are also evolving to safeguard people while travelling. On your part you can also book a direct flight for your parents but again its too early to predict as Oct is quite far away.

Reactions: pkhare23

Captain789

May 27, 2018
Hi guys, so if I quarantine myself in one place for the first time, will I be able to persuade the officer to put the information of the second address, where I will live and where I would like my PR card to be sent?

I read that officers put the details for the first address and then ask you to change it online, which can be problematic.

Please advise.

Captain789

May 27, 2018
I landed on Monday in Toronto and staying at a family friend address in Brampton for self-isolation and possibly longer. I would like to ask how do I prove my residency in Toronto for SIN card, Bank account and Health card? Do I have to get my own place to prove my residency? I am living with my family friend for free. Also is there a way to get SIM card for mobile while in quarantine? I am currently feeling very useless, unable to do anything.

Finally which bank should I open my account in? All banks are offering new immigrant accounts but which is the best one for a single person with no dependents. Also, which SIM card should I get? What is the best mobile company in Canada?
Can you pay some bills with your credit card from home? Order food delivery?
You can use alternative while you are isolated and get a local phone number - an app called TalkU.

I am interested to learn more about the banks too.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017

You will need to open a bank account and have the address linked to your family friend's home and then show the bank statement as your residency proof for SIN. You will have to visit a branch though to get your account opened so that won't be possible until quarantine ends.

Go to Public Mobile site and have the sim card ordered to your home. This is a pre-paid sim and runs on TELUS network, which I'm told has the best network coverage in Canada. Also, no credit history required since its a prepaid.

For banks it is actually important to get a credit card so you can start building credit history. From what I've heard RBC, CIBC and Scotia are best in providing unsecured credit cards for new immigrants. BMO also offers 1 year banking but some have told me they only provide secured credit cards and TD only offers 6 months banking. So you maybe better off going with RBC, CIBC or Scotia.

Banks in Canada actually have fees for incoming wire transfers. I read RBC doesn't have any fees for incoming wires for the first 6 months. So that may be a good option incase you have to wire in large funds from back home. Some folks have told me that CIBC offered them car loans without credit history, so if getting a car is important to you then better go with CIBC.

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Hi all,
I’m currently residing in the US on H1B visa and my CoRP has already expired. I recently asked to extend my CoPR due to travel restrictions caused by the pandemic. IRCC told me that my application will not be refused, and that I should notify them when I’m able to travel. However, a new executive order was signed by President Trump yesterday that suspends entry of all H1B visa holders until at least December 30, 2020. My US entry visa has already been expired which means that I won’t be able to come back to the US if I come to Canada to complete the landing procedures before December 30. I already submitted a web form asking if CoPR can be extended for 6 months. Does anyone here have CoPR extended for that long? Please let me know what you would do if you are in the same situation.
Many thanks!
There is a potential for travel on automatic revalidation. I am in same situation. Let me know if you find out anything.

Reactions: Uncle_Iroh