+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
94
19
Hi - We also did out landing this weekend and self isolating now. Just wanted to know what exactly are the emails you received from Government of Canada? Thanks and good luck with your plans.
Both were generic emails mentioning that they recognize that I recently entered Canada and provided me steps for safety such as stay indoors, wash hands, etc. The second email was more of a reminder on the 10th day or so with more detailed steps. I did check with public help when my quarantine exactly ends. Neither of the emails had any questions or actions.
 

ruka

Hero Member
Apr 7, 2008
665
31
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
NOC Code......
0213
App. Filed.......
10/02/2010 (old)
Doc's Request.
16/04/2010 (old)
AOR Received.
11/08/2010 (old)
File Transfer...
20/04/2010 (old)
Waiting on CoPR extension-

Hi Guys,
I was able to speak to an agent today regarding CoPR extension.

My CoPR has expired on April 24th. Raised two webforms- one before expiry saying unable to travel, one on May 22nd saying ready to travel.
I have received response on the respective webforms. Last Monday (06/15), I have received a message in my portal saying IRCC has received my request of extension and asked me to let them know when I am ready to travel to process the CoPR extension. Maybe due to backlog in the webforms, it took a while to get the update in portal.
Anyway, I was able to talk with a call center agent today after long wait of about 30 mins. I wanted to check if they have received my ready to travel webform and if there is any progress. The agent put me on hold while checking with a system specialist (according to the agent, the system specialist has the most updated information) and said that they have received my ready to travel webform, but there isn't any clear instruction about how to process the CoPR extension to the visa offices. So we have to wait until they receive clear instructions/green light to process the extension. I was asking if they have any information whether we need to send our passport upon approval of the extension. The agent said they don't have any information regarding this also. She has also mentioned that according to her knowledge--none has received CoPR extension so far.

Later, I have asked about the validity of my medical, criminality and security (if there is an expiry date as well). She said both criminality and security is showing pass only and the validity on my medical is 7th April 2021.

Just wanted to share the timeline and information with you guys. At this point, we all have to wait until further instruction comes from IRCC, I guess!
@swack60
This is good news. What was the previous medical expiry date for you brother ?
Thanks
 
  • Like
Reactions: mayar-123456789

turbomau5

Full Member
Apr 23, 2020
21
5
Dear all, I have an expiring COPR and we want some inputs and guidance from you. There are three options for us. Request you to please let us know which one should we go for

Background and Context – we are a family of 3. I am the primary application. My application also includes my wife and my son who is 1 year old. All of us are Indian nationals currently residing in Dubai. Our PR visa is valid until 11th July 2020 and Dubai has just started opening up flights and airports. We are not looking to settle in Canada immediately given that finding jobs may be a challenge in the current economic scenario. We are evaluating three options to land in Canada and I am looking for your opinion and feedback. In May 2020, we had already filled up a webform and informed CIC that we will not be able to travel prior to July 2020. CIC had given a generic response asking us to inform them when we are ready to travel


Option 1: All three members of the family travel from Dubai before 11th of July. Only issue is maintaining health and safety of everyone, especially the 1-year old kid. He doesn’t wear masks, touches and licks everything and we are so concerned about how to manage him on the 15 hour long flight


Option 2: Only the primary applicant travels to Canada prior to 11th July and gets his PR status activated. Once COVID-19 situation improves, we can get fresh PCC certificates for the wife, get new medicals done and submit it to CIC. Then CIC will issue new COPR for wife and son enabling them to travel by year end 2020. The challenge here is getting the new PCC from India (where the COVID-19 situation is quite bad). We don’t want to travel to Delhi until year end, but there is no other way of getting a PCC. The old PCC from India is from Apr 2018, whereas we moved to Dubai in 2019, so old PCC will not work


Option 3: Only the primary applicant travels to Canada prior to 11th July and gets his PR status activated. If the wife and son are unable to land in 2020, they will lose the opportunity to get a PR through the current application. Then we will have to apply for family class visa for the wife and son when we decide to move to Canada finally. I will be a PR holder and will need to sponsor my wife and son. The only challenge is that CIC may ask us as to why did we lose the opportunity to convert a COPR into a PR back in 2020
In my opinion risking health especially when there is a child involved is a big no. Especially when IRCC made it clear that COPRs will be extended so it just a matter of waiting for few more months. I feel risking money, career or property is fine because there is always a second chance but when it comes to health that may not be the case, so got to take the safest option. Choose what your gut feeling says.
 

geekygod

Full Member
Nov 21, 2017
27
0
Dear all, Quick question - Lets say in a family of husband (primary applicant), wife and son each have a COPR expiring in July 2020.
The husband lands in Canada and activates his PR. However the wife and son are unable to travel due to COVID-19 and their COPRs expire. Do you think the IRCC will allow for partial reopening of applications, so that wife and son can resubmit fresh PCC and medicals and get a new COPR. Secondly, if the wife and son are unable to land for upto 6 months after the primary applicant landed, will IRCC raise questions on the primary applicant given that his EE score was boosted by the wife's educational qualification, IELTS score etc. Please let me know what you think
 

Sidd1988can

Star Member
Jul 27, 2019
86
89
Dear all, Quick question - Lets say in a family of husband (primary applicant), wife and son each have a COPR expiring in July 2020.
The husband lands in Canada and activates his PR. However the wife and son are unable to travel due to COVID-19 and their COPRs expire. Do you think the IRCC will allow for partial reopening of applications, so that wife and son can resubmit fresh PCC and medicals and get a new COPR. Secondly, if the wife and son are unable to land for upto 6 months after the primary applicant landed, will IRCC raise questions on the primary applicant given that his EE score was boosted by the wife's educational qualification, IELTS score etc. Please let me know what you think
See this - Once primary applicant has landed i dont think they will reopen application as mentioned on their official website

"Approved applications where the principal applicant has not already become a permanent resident can be re-opened in GCMS by cancelling the COPR and PRV and removing the final decision."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#approved_permanent_residence
 
Last edited:

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
98
59
Dear all, I have an expiring COPR and we want some inputs and guidance from you. There are three options for us. Request you to please let us know which one should we go for

Background and Context – we are a family of 3. I am the primary application. My application also includes my wife and my son who is 1 year old. All of us are Indian nationals currently residing in Dubai. Our PR visa is valid until 11th July 2020 and Dubai has just started opening up flights and airports. We are not looking to settle in Canada immediately given that finding jobs may be a challenge in the current economic scenario. We are evaluating three options to land in Canada and I am looking for your opinion and feedback. In May 2020, we had already filled up a webform and informed CIC that we will not be able to travel prior to July 2020. CIC had given a generic response asking us to inform them when we are ready to travel


Option 1: All three members of the family travel from Dubai before 11th of July. Only issue is maintaining health and safety of everyone, especially the 1-year old kid. He doesn’t wear masks, touches and licks everything and we are so concerned about how to manage him on the 15 hour long flight


Option 2: Only the primary applicant travels to Canada prior to 11th July and gets his PR status activated. Once COVID-19 situation improves, we can get fresh PCC certificates for the wife, get new medicals done and submit it to CIC. Then CIC will issue new COPR for wife and son enabling them to travel by year end 2020. The challenge here is getting the new PCC from India (where the COVID-19 situation is quite bad). We don’t want to travel to Delhi until year end, but there is no other way of getting a PCC. The old PCC from India is from Apr 2018, whereas we moved to Dubai in 2019, so old PCC will not work


Option 3: Only the primary applicant travels to Canada prior to 11th July and gets his PR status activated. If the wife and son are unable to land in 2020, they will lose the opportunity to get a PR through the current application. Then we will have to apply for family class visa for the wife and son when we decide to move to Canada finally. I will be a PR holder and will need to sponsor my wife and son. The only challenge is that CIC may ask us as to why did we lose the opportunity to convert a COPR into a PR back in 2020
When was the COPR approved ? , if after 18th March you cannot travel as per IRCC, if before 18th March then option 1 is best , with direct flight !!! Alternatively since you just landed for work in Dubai in 2019 itself you can continue working and get new COPR from there itself, because i believe medical will be automatically extended.
 

geekygod

Full Member
Nov 21, 2017
27
0
Thanks @Sidd1988can - Does it mean that once the primary applicant has landed, application cannot be reopened and there is no way the dependents can get an extension on their COPR? It will be very helpful to get some expert insights here....
 

Raghuveer

Full Member
Apr 4, 2020
39
48
Dear all, I have an expiring COPR and we want some inputs and guidance from you. There are three options for us. Request you to please let us know which one should we go for

Background and Context – we are a family of 3. I am the primary application. My application also includes my wife and my son who is 1 year old. All of us are Indian nationals currently residing in Dubai. Our PR visa is valid until 11th July 2020 and Dubai has just started opening up flights and airports. We are not looking to settle in Canada immediately given that finding jobs may be a challenge in the current economic scenario. We are evaluating three options to land in Canada and I am looking for your opinion and feedback. In May 2020, we had already filled up a webform and informed CIC that we will not be able to travel prior to July 2020. CIC had given a generic response asking us to inform them when we are ready to travel


Option 1: All three members of the family travel from Dubai before 11th of July. Only issue is maintaining health and safety of everyone, especially the 1-year old kid. He doesn’t wear masks, touches and licks everything and we are so concerned about how to manage him on the 15 hour long flight


Option 2: Only the primary applicant travels to Canada prior to 11th July and gets his PR status activated. Once COVID-19 situation improves, we can get fresh PCC certificates for the wife, get new medicals done and submit it to CIC. Then CIC will issue new COPR for wife and son enabling them to travel by year end 2020. The challenge here is getting the new PCC from India (where the COVID-19 situation is quite bad). We don’t want to travel to Delhi until year end, but there is no other way of getting a PCC. The old PCC from India is from Apr 2018, whereas we moved to Dubai in 2019, so old PCC will not work


Option 3: Only the primary applicant travels to Canada prior to 11th July and gets his PR status activated. If the wife and son are unable to land in 2020, they will lose the opportunity to get a PR through the current application. Then we will have to apply for family class visa for the wife and son when we decide to move to Canada finally. I will be a PR holder and will need to sponsor my wife and son. The only challenge is that CIC may ask us as to why did we lose the opportunity to convert a COPR into a PR back in 2020
As of today, IRCC has not shared any concrete steps regarding COPR extension though they have been assuring applicants that extension will be provided for unable to travel or unwilling to travel. So nobody knows about extension process, people are just speculating. IRCC might give blanket extension to all or it might be case specific extension and might require additional documents. So once your current COPR expires getting new COPR/travel document can be easy and quick or it can be long process spanning across months.

If your concern is more about health of your family and you are not much bothered about uncertainty in COPR extension, my advise would be don't travel now and let IRCC issue you new COPR/travel document. You have new born with you and a strong case of not to travel.
 

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
1,003
514
Hello

I'm sorry I missed this, else would have replied sooner! Thank you for replying. Trust you are well.

It is yet to reach VFS. It says it is in transit (not sure how to understand if it is in transit from the High Commission to VFS). I did not avail courier service so can pick it up only when VFS opens I guess. Wish if there was a facility to let them know that I have changed my mind and would now prefer to have it couriered! But well!

Good luck and good day!

Regards
No worries.. m good.. I hope you are too and can understand the anxiety you are going through.. 'cause two of my friends got their applications approved on 18th March and one got copr other didn't.. both had applied for courier facility.. one sent an email to bluedart as soon as she received tracking number but other didn't

Coming back to your case.. the question i asked doesn't matter because you didn't choose courier..

In your case, you are doing all you can.. and I guess waiting for VFS to reopen is the only option.. best of luck and keep us updated of your progress

I hope you get you copr soon, this covid ends, and all of us fly to Canada this year
 
  • Like
Reactions: icanh

geekygod

Full Member
Nov 21, 2017
27
0
Thanks for your inputs everyone. I want to check if we can get the new COPR from Dubai if the last COPR was issued from New Delhi?...

BTW in my case I was issued a PPR from New Delhi, then I informed of my wife's pregnancy, then we added our son and was issued another PPR ...all this happened in New Delhi in 2018 and 2019. Now I have moved to Dubai in 2019. If i have to submit my passport for immigration visa, do you think I can do it in UAE?
 

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
1,232
153
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your inputs everyone. I want to check if we can get the new COPR from Dubai if the last COPR was issued from New Delhi?...

BTW in my case I was issued a PPR from New Delhi, then I informed of my wife's pregnancy, then we added our son and was issued another PPR ...all this happened in New Delhi in 2018 and 2019. Now I have moved to Dubai in 2019. If i have to submit my passport for immigration visa, do you think I can do it in UAE?
Should be ok but you will have to follow the instructions on the passport request form. If it say submit to any vac then no issues. If it says submit to new delhi then email and let them know you are in Dubai and ask they update the request form to say Dubai.