+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Sidd1988can

Star Member
Jul 27, 2019
Hi all

We are from india and our COPR has already expired..we have already raised the webform about our inability to travel..does anybody in this forum have raised the second webform that they are ready to travel???for indian people when would be right time to raise the second form considering vfs office open and resumption of international flights.. please suggest...it would be very helpful.Thanks in advance

@Canaspirant xyz
@Sidd1988can
@whyCorona
I guess opening of vfs and high commission is key for getting extension mail

Reactions: CountessO

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
Hi guys, quick question about the period of time after landing and before receiving the actual PR card - can we travel freely within Canada using passport as the only ID? Like boarding domestic flights? Thanks!
Hello @foxstiger
You should be fine with only a passport as your ID. My brother is on study Visa since 2018, but still using only passport as his ID to travel anywhere.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi all

We are from india and our COPR has already expired..we have already raised the webform about our inability to travel..does anybody in this forum have raised the second webform that they are ready to travel???for indian people when would be right time to raise the second form considering vfs office open and resumption of international flights.. please suggest...it would be very helpful.Thanks in advance

@Canaspirant xyz
@Sidd1988can
@whyCorona
As per FB page of Canadian High Commission in India they will contact us over email once commercial flights resume. In my opinion, the right time to raise another webform for our ability to travel would be the resumption of international flights and VAC offices in India. However, we need to make sure that flights will not be stopped again as we don't want to get into same waiting loop again. For your information, my application is not reopened yet after 2 weeks of CoPR expiry.

Reactions: CountessO and Dia89

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Cant we raise webform on the basis of these repatriation flights? Govt is planning fr Phase 3, that means they are nt going to resume regular flights soon. Till when are we all gonna wait. :/
I doubt.Actually repat flights are not connecting all routes secondly many ppl are not able to get seats in them.Aviation minister had told he is planning to open regular flights by June mid or July.It came in news also.

Reactions: Dia89

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
As per FB page of Canadian High Commission in India they will contact us over email once commercial flights resume. In my opinion, the right time to raise another webform for our ability to travel would be the resumption of international flights and VAC offices in India. However, we need to make sure that flights will not be stopped again as we don't want to get into same waiting loop again. For your information, my application is not reopened yet after 2 weeks of CoPR expiry.
Mine is not reopened even after 2 months.

muhdcand

Aug 17, 2019
Hello all! Just wanted to share our landing experience with everyone here

We had been trying to catch a flight to Toronto from Dubai for a couple months now. After several cancellations, Emirates finally started regular flights to Toronto from May 22nd. We took that very first flight. We only had 8 days to sell a car, sell our furniture, pack our belongings to send by freight and the rest to go with us. With an extra bonus challenge of bringing our pet cat along with us...

Of course, UAE announced revised timings for the sanitation drive a couple days before our flight so we had to scramble and find a way to get our cat to the aiport. The British Vet Clinic in Jumeirah offers such service and is classified as essential service so they picked up our cat the evening before our flight and met us at the airport the next morning.

Our flight was at 9am but we got to the airport 4 hours before as recommended by Emirates. All CoPR passengers were asked to stand aside initially and a gentleman proceeded to ask us some details which he checked directly with the Canadian embassy. Rule of thumb is that if you're planning to do a soft landing, you won't be allowed to board the plane. At least 3 families were not allowed to check in.
This process took almost 1/2h so make sure to come early! During check in, they AGAIN checked whether we were eligible to fly.
Finally, we checked all of our 9 suitcases and I took the cat to an area next to the oversize luggage check in to show her export permit and vaccination book.
Rest of the process was straightforward, nothing different from the usual . Boarding took A LONG time as they were cleaning the plane.

Flight was uneventful aside from one dude having a panic attack a couple hours before arrival, acting all irrational but thankfully the cabin crews were well trained and dealt with him professionally and calmed him down...

Upon arrival to Toronto, we were initially told that were going to disembark in small groups, but they just ejected us all at once so not sure what happened here.

I will describe the steps we went through in the airport to make it clearer to those curious about it :

Step 1 : Passport control.
We had a dude who was quite rude and nervous. You will need to show him your CoPRs and Custom form (one they give you on the plane). The dude was not patient at all and very pushy, but kept my calm to avoid any conflicts... Last thing I want after such a crazy month

Step 2 : CoPR check
Very friendly guy, took again our CoPR and custom form stamped by the guy above. He asked us some questions about plan for 14 days of self quarantine etc etc. Asked us to wait for 10-15 minutes then congratulated us on becoming Permanent Residents, asked for the address to send the PR card and we were done with that. By the way we weren't asked at all about proof of funds.

Step 3 : Collect our luggage and cat

Step 4 : Customs
Surprisingly easy and fast. You show them the forms for goods you're bringing in and goods to follow, they stamp them and you're done.
Same thing for the cat, they checked the vaccination certificate, the rabies certificate etc...
I was expecting them to scan our luggage, but nothing.

You won't be able to do anything else in the airport... SIN office is closed, shops that sell SIM cards closed.

We reached the airbnb in about 1/2h . We had made an online order for the cat stuff (you're not allowed to bring in pet food EXCEPT if it's made in US or Canada) that was waiting for us.
We are using mainly Grocery Gateway and Amazon for groceries. Gateway mainly as it has fast delivery times. Both accept international credit cards so very useful until we're able to open a bank account after the quarantine ends...

We're happy to finally be here! Let me know if you have any questions!
Hello,
Thanks for your useful post.

Do you have an idea how they come to know if someone is going for a soft landing?

Thanks
Regards,

canadadreamer2020

May 13, 2020
Thanks for your suggestions..same here mine is not reopened after one month of COPR expiry

canadadreamer2020

May 13, 2020
I think resumption of International flights should be the basis to assume that we are able to travel.As far as VFS are concerned I think that High Commission will decide the right time to send us ppr as vfs is there part only .So once we raise the webform atleast they can start the process to extend our medicals or if required ask to take remedical.
Thanks for your suggestions

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
You can land in either Toronto or Vancouver but should be prepared to show you have onward travel to Alberta and also have an isolation plan when you arrive in Alberta. Basically you need to only transit either Toronto or Vancouver, complete your immigration/customs formalities there at first POE and make a connecting flight.

If you plan to leave the airport in either of those POEs then believe you would be expected to show an isolation plan in either one of those POEs as opposed to in Alberta. The guidance is badly worded in that says if leave airport but doesnt say have to stay airside whilst transiting although staying airside is a common requirement for other countries with quarantine requirements and makes more sense given once out of customs/immigration into arrivals/departure area of the terminal is a whole different situation versus airside.
Hey,
Thanks for the information. What if connecting flight is after 15 hrs from Toronto or may be more? Would they allow me to stay at the airport or not?

VRAJBHUMI781

Sep 20, 2019
I am planning to book Air India flight from Mumbai to London and than London to Toronto is COPR allowed by Air India to board in and My COPR will be expire in July 20 if I travel now it is essential travel and Canada allow me?? Please whatsapp answer on my mobile no.India 7016607342. Thanks

Dia89

Mar 16, 2020
N
I doubt.Actually repat flights are not connecting all routes secondly many ppl are not able to get seats in them.Aviation minister had told he is planning to open regular flights by June mid or July.It came in news also.
No he did not say this. On being asked if he will resume flights before Aug-Sep, then he answered if corona behaves in a "predictable" way then he might consider resuming flights even before that maybe from mid-june.
Also they are planning to add private airlines to this repat mission and phase 3 of this mission is also being planned (aftr Jun17th)
Lets wait then, we have no other option :(

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I am planning to book Air India flight from Mumbai to London and than London to Toronto is COPR allowed by Air India to board in and My COPR will be expire in July 20 if I travel now it is essential travel and Canada allow me?? Please whatsapp answer on my mobile no.India 7016607342. Thanks
As per my knowledge its allowed.

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
You won't be able to do anything else in the airport... [...] shops that sell SIM cards closed.
The best is to order a SIM card to be shipped to your quarantine address before your arrival. I did that, ordered one with Public Mobile, I activated it using vouchers from recharge.com. It worked like a charm.

Reactions: nicolasf