+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
SoftLanding is not an official term. Immigration comes under essential. But, yes, if you are planning to let an immigration officer or airline's agent know that you intend to return back, then it is not considered as essential and you may be denied entry. Best way is to book a one-way ticket and book a return ticket after landing.
Ya we have planned to book for a one way ticket and then plan our return later... so when asked I say my quarantine plan and just say we are landing for the first time ? That’s it ?

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
Ya we have planned to book for a one way ticket and then plan our return later... so when asked I say my quarantine plan and just say we are landing for the first time ? That’s it ?
FYI, CBSA didn't ask about my return to the US. In fact, I had my return tickets booked before I landed. I was only asked for my return travel plans by the American Airlines folks and it didn't matter.

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
FYI, CBSA didn't ask about my return to the US. In fact, I had my return tickets booked before I landed. I was only asked for my return travel plans by the American Airlines folks and it didn't matter.
Oh thank you. We anyway will be cautious on what we tell them but still want to recheck ... so u quarantined in airbnb for 14 days and returned back to USA?

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hello all! Just wanted to share our landing experience with everyone here

We had been trying to catch a flight to Toronto from Dubai for a couple months now. After several cancellations, Emirates finally started regular flights to Toronto from May 22nd. We took that very first flight. We only had 8 days to sell a car, sell our furniture, pack our belongings to send by freight and the rest to go with us. With an extra bonus challenge of bringing our pet cat along with us...

Of course, UAE announced revised timings for the sanitation drive a couple days before our flight so we had to scramble and find a way to get our cat to the aiport. The British Vet Clinic in Jumeirah offers such service and is classified as essential service so they picked up our cat the evening before our flight and met us at the airport the next morning.

Our flight was at 9am but we got to the airport 4 hours before as recommended by Emirates. All CoPR passengers were asked to stand aside initially and a gentleman proceeded to ask us some details which he checked directly with the Canadian embassy. Rule of thumb is that if you're planning to do a soft landing, you won't be allowed to board the plane. At least 3 families were not allowed to check in.
This process took almost 1/2h so make sure to come early! During check in, they AGAIN checked whether we were eligible to fly.
Finally, we checked all of our 9 suitcases and I took the cat to an area next to the oversize luggage check in to show her export permit and vaccination book.
Rest of the process was straightforward, nothing different from the usual . Boarding took A LONG time as they were cleaning the plane.

Flight was uneventful aside from one dude having a panic attack a couple hours before arrival, acting all irrational but thankfully the cabin crews were well trained and dealt with him professionally and calmed him down...

Upon arrival to Toronto, we were initially told that were going to disembark in small groups, but they just ejected us all at once so not sure what happened here.

I will describe the steps we went through in the airport to make it clearer to those curious about it :

Step 1 : Passport control.
We had a dude who was quite rude and nervous. You will need to show him your CoPRs and Custom form (one they give you on the plane). The dude was not patient at all and very pushy, but kept my calm to avoid any conflicts... Last thing I want after such a crazy month

Step 2 : CoPR check
Very friendly guy, took again our CoPR and custom form stamped by the guy above. He asked us some questions about plan for 14 days of self quarantine etc etc. Asked us to wait for 10-15 minutes then congratulated us on becoming Permanent Residents, asked for the address to send the PR card and we were done with that. By the way we weren't asked at all about proof of funds.

Step 3 : Collect our luggage and cat

Step 4 : Customs
Surprisingly easy and fast. You show them the forms for goods you're bringing in and goods to follow, they stamp them and you're done.
Same thing for the cat, they checked the vaccination certificate, the rabies certificate etc...
I was expecting them to scan our luggage, but nothing.

You won't be able to do anything else in the airport... SIN office is closed, shops that sell SIM cards closed.

We reached the airbnb in about 1/2h . We had made an online order for the cat stuff (you're not allowed to bring in pet food EXCEPT if it's made in US or Canada) that was waiting for us.
We are using mainly Grocery Gateway and Amazon for groceries. Gateway mainly as it has fast delivery times. Both accept international credit cards so very useful until we're able to open a bank account after the quarantine ends...

We're happy to finally be here! Let me know if you have any questions!
I pray that the soft landing part is not true. I'm looking to do one from Dubai too. Winding up takes time and a lot of employers are not willing to let go of their employees without a lengthy notice period. Were you specifically asked whether the purpose was to complete a soft landing?

nicolasf

Dec 17, 2019
I pray that the soft landing part is not true. I'm looking to do one from Dubai too. Winding up takes time and a lot of employers are not willing to let go of their employees without a lengthy notice period. Were you specifically asked whether the purpose was to complete a soft landing?
Yes they asked all CoPR holders whether they were planning to settle in Canada permanently. All those who didn't confirm that, were not allowed on the plane.
You need to realize the insane situation going on right now. Both Dubai and Toronto airports that are usually packed, were completely empty. DXB had only 5 flights scheduled for the ENTIRE day. Check departure/arrival boards for the major Canadian airports.
They are only allowing citizens, residents and those planning to settle to fly over. Soft landings make no sense currently. Just apply to extend your CoPR...

I ask everyone this simple question: Are you willing to start your journey with a lie? This is not a joke. And the Canadian government are not managing a kids' club. I strongly recommend you postpone any soft landing plans until the situation stabilizes. I am sure IRCC would have no issues doing it and would rather have you do this, than lie about your intentions and fly over to Canada, only to fly back a few weeks later...

Last edited:

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Yes they asked all CoPR holders whether they were planning to settle in Canada permanently. All those who didn't confirm that, were not allowed on the plane.
Those with COPRs are planning to settle permanently. I can't imagine anyone going through the entire PR procedure and not moving. However, in certain instances, moving can take some time, which is why many perform soft landings. Once things have been settled in the home country, they can move for good without looking back.

Reactions: BillyWescott

nicolasf

Dec 17, 2019
Those with COPRs are planning to settle permanently. I can't imagine anyone going through the entire PR procedure and not moving. However, in certain instances, moving can take some time, which is why many perform soft landings. Once things have been settled in the home country, they can move for good without looking back.
I understand this, however right now, as in RIGHT NOW, this is not the time to spend time in the airports and travel back and forth between 2 countries. Who knows, things could hopefully stabilize in a month time and you'll be invited to do your soft landing without any repercussions.
But if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't risk it. I invested a lot of time and money in this and I would take ZERO chances to risk losing my PR status by lying to an immigration official.
If you're not ready to leave your home country yet, then again, I strongly recommend you ask IRCC for an extention...

Sep 15, 2019
Hello all, I'm a pnp applicant and I'm supposed to land in Alberta. I just need to know that is it possible to land in the province other than the one your being nominated from, since special flights from India are only being operated to either Toronto or Vancouver.
Hi......I also live in India, got the COPR on 17/March/2020 expiring on 20th June.......just wanted to know if we are allowed to board special flights to Canada....??

Aren't they for citizens and permanent residents....? I mean we have got an immigrant visa only, not the PR Card.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Yes eventually I will head to Calgary via another flight but was just concerned if immigration formalities will be done on the first POE or not. And if I chose to quarantine myself at Vancouver or Toronto, will I be allowed to do so. Because anyhow I'm planning to book an airbnb for the quarantine period.
I am also a PNP applicant for Alberta and will be moving to Calgary.
You can land at any POE but you need to be able to provide proof of onwards travel to the immigration officer. Failure to do so could raise doubts of misrepresentation.
Also, I believe it would be best to complete your journey to Calgary and THEN quarantine instead of providing a quarantine plan at POE.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Hey, I'm also a Dubai resident. When does your COPR expire? And which airline are you planning to take?

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
I understand this, however right now, as in RIGHT NOW, this is not the time to spend time in the airports and travel back and forth between 2 countries. Who knows, things could hopefully stabilize in a month time and you'll be invited to do your soft landing without any repercussions.
But if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't risk it. I invested a lot of time and money in this and I would take ZERO chances to risk losing my PR status by lying to an immigration official.
If you're not ready to leave your home country yet, then again, I strongly recommend you ask IRCC for an extention...
Hmm...I'll have to wait and see. I just wanted to ask you something.

The medical examination requirement for COPR holders or travel ban exempted individuals. Do we have to do a separate one or the one done prior to boarding at the airport will suffice?