+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

niswe

Apr 5, 2017
No, I did not have any appointment yet but raised a webform to get one.

So you had your COPR and raise a web form for landing interview.. Congratulation.. Could you please confirm when you received your COPR and when you received web form for landing appointment? Also when have you received email confirming your permanent residency?... Thank you in advance...

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Do you know what it means eaxctly?
I found it confusing, does it mean we will have to redo medicals if expired or does it mean current medicals will be extended by 6 months?
I believe they will do the reassessment of current one based on some situations. On reassessment results current medicals validity will be extended to 6 months. If not then medicals needs to be done again. All of this will be done when you raise another webform regarding your ability to travel.

ambq91

Jan 29, 2019
So you had your COPR and raise a web form for landing interview.. Congratulation.. Could you please confirm when you received your COPR and when you received web form for landing appointment? Also when have you received email confirming your permanent residency?... Thank you in advance...
Received PPR Email and sent the passports to CPC Ottawa: February 26
Raised the first Webform to get landing appointment: February 27 (no appointment made)
Application Approved: March 12
COPR and PR Visa Received in Mail: March 13
Raised the second Webform to get landing appointment: March 16 (no appointment made)
Received landing telephone interview call and email: April 22 (landing process completed)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: FatemahPK and cjas

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I believe they will do the reassessment of current one based on some situations. On reassessment results current medicals validity will be extended to 6 months. If not then medicals needs to be done again. All of this will be done when you raise another webform regarding your ability to travel.
But what about validity of IME.I think it is valid for one year only no?They might extend it like they did for some .Even if a person is not able to land then I think they will take remedicals.

M160RA

Star Member
Apr 5, 2020
TO ALL THOSE WHO CAN TRAVEL BUT ARE NOT WANTING TO, FOR SAFETY REASONS:

Hey,

I’ve been reading this forum for a while now and it’s really helping me keep calm in this situation.

I’m from India and my COPR is expiring on April 30, so like many here, I’m relying on an extension.

Anyway, I found something that I felt should be posted here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

Under the section Approved permanent residence applications (COPR and PRV) you will find the following written:
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are unable or unwilling to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they are unable or unwilling to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.

As per my understanding, this implies IRCC is instructing its officers to re-open applications of even those who are unwilling to travel due to safety concerns. But please don’t take any decision based on this post, just use it for informational purposes.

This was updated on April 22. Not sure if anyone found this already (sorry for the duplicate post in that case).

Hope this is of help to relevant people and thanks again to everyone for sharing their experiences here.
Excellent find! Well done!

I am sure the members were choosing not to fly and not in lockdown will be relieved by seeing this. I was in a similar situation myself a few weeks back, but then the government finally banned air travel. I raised a webform informing them of the situation.

I noticed a couple of days back that the Canadian Embassy in my country is conducting a survey to determine the need of chartered flight to Canada. I did not want to go down this route as I already spent a lot of money buying tickets and they have not been refunded. The tickets for the chartered flight is too expensive and they only fly to Montreal. I would need to buy another ticket to Toronto. However, I felt like I might have to get on this flight as it is an option for me to travel, and if I did not that would mean I chose not to travel.

IRCC adding 'or unwilling' after unable means we can stop stressing about this for now.

Can anyone shed some light on the modified wording for medicals?
Is there anything else on the page they have changed or added to?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
But what about validity of IME.I think it is valid for one year only no?They might extend it like they did for some .Even if a person is not able to land then I think they will take remedicals.
IME is valid for one year and it depends upon officer and your current IME reassessment if you are required to redo medicals. Question is do we still fall under exemption category if CoPR extension is provided? what will be the new CoPR approval date?

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

niswe

Apr 5, 2017
Raised the first Webform to get landing appointment: February 27 (no appointment made)
Raised the second Webform to get landing appointment: March 16 (no appointment made)
Received landing telephone interview call and email: April 22 (landing process completed)

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much

cjas

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019

Hope this helps.
Thank you, @ambq91, for sharing your experience! Would you mind giving more details about the landing phone interview? Also, were you on a WP, PGWP, visitor visa?
Based on your timeline, I might get a phone interview anytime now.
Thank you!

ambq91

Jan 29, 2019
Thank you, @ambq91, for sharing your experience! Would you mind giving more details about the landing phone interview? Also, were you on a WP, PGWP, visitor visa?
Based on your timeline, I might get a phone interview anytime now.
Thank you!
It took one minute and the lady asked if we are currently residing in Canada or not. Then said your landing process is complete and you will receive an email from me today with a letter confirming permanent residency. I was on WP visa.

Reactions: cjas

cjas

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
It took one minute and the lady asked if we are currently residing in Canada or not. Then said your landing process is complete and you will receive an email from me today with a letter confirming permanent residency. I was on WP visa.
Thanks a lot! These news give us, inland CoPR, some hope!
What was the expiry date of your CoPR?

Apr 23, 2020
Hello everyone, I raised a web form on the IRCC website due to my inability to travel to Canada because of Covid-19. My CoPR was approved in February but i couldn't travel due to the travel restrictions at the time in my Country. This is the response i got below, I don't know if i should raise another web form. Please any info will be highly appreciated, Thanks.

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Coronavirus - PR application approved on or before March 18, 2020 - Outside Canada

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

If your permanent residence (PR) application was approved on or before March 18, 2020, but you haven't travelled to Canada yet:
  • You're exempt from the travel restriction measures, and
  • You're now able to enter Canada.
If you're travelling by air:
  • You need to pass a health check conducted by airlines before you're allowed to board your flight,
  • Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
When you arrive in Canada, we'll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don't have a plan, you'll be quarantined in a facility designated by the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada.

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
We just received CoPRs today and the approval date is Mar 12. According to the travel restriction exemption, I think we should be able to land at border. However, the problem is to do a flagpole landing, we need to cross US custom first. Does any one do flag pole landing these days? Does US official allows that? We have valid US visas (L1 and L2).

mac88

Nov 2, 2014
Guys in India I have heard from some where that International flight may not start before September.Please do not panic or believe this news 100 percent but I have heard it from an high official that's why warning you.We must not book flights unless govt declares that restrictions are lifted from int flights, even if the flights take the bookings as it might lead to our more money being stuck.Some one told me Air India is taking bookings from 1 july but I will not book unless govt declares so even If I get my visa extended.
This is impossible to believe that flights are not starting before September, for kind information Air India is having 30-35 crore loss everyday since 22 March and many more airlines do. If this is a situation, Its very hard for government to bailout airlines as they will surly go bankrupt.
Other point, according to one survey over 9000 people who are Canadian PR, Work permit holder and students are stranded in India due to this travel ban, Canadian government arranging repatriation flights only for citizens. So starting international airlines after Sep or from Sep is compliantly idiotic thought
Well I agree health risk due to corona is much higher, but government should understand lock down is not a permanent solution. It just gives time to government to make strategies. more testing and isolation facility and more dedicated heath workers.