+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

sarak1812

May 21, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Sharing my experience here just in case it helps someone.
I managed to complete my landing at Toronto today. Although CoPRs are exempt from travel restrictions, while checking in at the counter, the agent had to call the ETA Helpdesk to check if I could board the plane! They’re checking all visas on case by case basis and after they arrive at the conclusion that it’s essential only then will they issue your boarding pass. 2 people had to return since they’re travel was deemed as non essential by the ETA agent (not sure about the exact details of these passengers though).
There were hardly 10 to 12 people on board and hence could maintain the distance between passengers. Finished my immigration and customs in less than 10 minutes. The officer did ask me how was I going to quarantine myself and if I understand that I cannot step out for any reason and as to how was I going to manage with the essentials. The 14 day isolation is mandatory! No soft landing allowed.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Thank you for sharing the experience
How did they determine that your travel was deemed essential ?
Anything specific you did to prove that it is essential ?

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
It is not an assumption. IRCC has made it very clear that extensions will be provided. The only thing they have not made it clear are the steps that will be required to reissue the COPR and the timeline involved.

It’s not every day that a pandemic happens and not being able to travel due to the risks involved right now will not be considered an “excuse”. For all those people with valid COPR till July andafter that, I dont think they have anything to worry about. However exceptions will be made for all those applicants whose COPR has expired recently or is expiring within the next 1-2 months.
You are right but actually they have not quoted this line any where that ""extensions will be provided "". Off course they have given the option to fill the web form and also wrote in the email that if our visa expired during restrictions we would be contacted to let us know what to do next.So we can hope from this line that thay have kept some provision for such ppl.
I had called Delhi high comm few days back.The person asked me to mail my copr and passport pic on there id.I just asked him sir cud u pls tell if I would get an extension or not as I am really worried .
He said oh yes definitely as it's a global pandemic .That gave me lot of relief .
Our anxieties and worries are obvious but I think all we can do right now is to wait for the offices to resume.Extension we will get but how much time and what process involved that's a big question which no one can answer.
Guys I had read somewhere a guy was given extension as his flight got cancelled.Any one read that post?

Reactions: Ziyad

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
I wrote to IRCC today. My COPR expires in late May. I'm in the US, in the state with the highest number of cases, and I absolutely do not want to travel till this situation is under control. The land border and flights are open, but traveling right now from where I am is like inviting covid to strike.

I doubt IRCC expects us to put our health at risk and land when thousands of people are dying of this disease. It's not safe from personal and public health perspective. I hope they come up with a solution for people who're currently in covid hotspot areas and do not want to travel for health reasons.

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
@pumpkin_latte @pkhare23 what are your travel plans Looking like?
Back in January, I had booked a flight for first week of September with British Airways. So far, no changes in plan. Going to sit tight till June in India and see how it goes and then raise an extension request if required. By then the following might have happened:
  1. The pandemic takes its course; we hope to see a plateau-- which leads to easing of travel restrictions
  2. The worst happens and this allows a semblance of normalcy to return
  3. Guidelines become clearer on what conditions mandate an extension and what doesn't.
But the way I see it, September/October entrants are really stuck in a rock and a hard place, because the way that the advisory read, the CIC really don't want to issue new COPRs. If borders are open, flights are operating, they want you in on the valid COPR that you hold now. We don't know how things will pan out, so we have to quit our jobs at some point and become unemployed to do the landing procedure. A friend told me in half-jest and half-seriousness, that risking COVID is safer than battling the bureaucracy of convincing a CIC officer for re-issuance of COPR o_O

• Wow
Reactions: going2CA

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
This has already been clarified by IRCC:

Approved permanent residence applications (COPR and PRV)
Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:

• Valid COPR and PRV: In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV. If the applicant informs IRCC that they can travel prior to the COPR and PRV expiration, they are encouraged to use their existing COPR and PRV to land.
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they were unable to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they were unable to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html
These are standard instructions. If you expect IRCC to individually respond to everyone who sends a request for extension, you will be disappointed to know that only standard format responses will be provided.
Hi legalfalcon! I read ur posts in May AOR grp.So what's your status now.Have you reached Canada?Could u explain this line
""and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV.""
I have filled 2 web forms before my visa expiry date.But got only generic response for the later one . Previous one I did not get any response only.So will they have put the note in our files that I am unable to travel before my visa expired?I mean its their job to put the note now ,right?I have done my part?What if they notice or check the webform after my visa has already expired? I hope they will check the date of submission of webform.
Thanks in anticipation.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Exactly, unless there is a clear announcement from IRCC for extension provision for those " who do not want to travel" they must travel. Don't leave it to chance.
We should get some update from IRCC soon as I am sure work load must have reduced a lot by now. Maybe another week or so we should have more updates.
We Indians wud mostly get an update after 14th April provided that lock down is over.
As half of the staff not coming to office.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Same process that is being listed now. Raise webform when you know you cannot/will-not travel to inform them.

In her case since it was before all the pandemic, they replied to her and told her to raise webform when you are ready to travel and we will tell you process to redo medicals and PCC and resubmit COPR + passport, thats it. She is in the US, got extension from IRCC Canada.

I know it is a stressful time for us all, and we would love an individual response to our webforms or a blanket statement from IRCC , but it seems like we all have to trust that the process will work out for now.
Does that mean we again need to fill web form after the lock down is over and tell them that we are able to travel?Or if my visa is expired and I have already filled webform before expiry date ,they will themselves contact me?Thanks

Abdulgafar

Jun 1, 2019
1. Your VO is London, so raise for London VO. Also, the Abu Dhabi is only a consulate which also processes visitors visa etc - but NOT PR visas for UAE residents. Has that changed?
Well, my PR visa was stamped in Abu Dhabi. I don't know if that makes them a local visa office for PR applications. I raised a webform to Abu Dhabi, based on the advice from the embassy.

shlambent

Oct 22, 2018
BUMP to the previous transit questions - do we have to do quarantine in our first landing airport or can we transit?

I am planning on flying in to Canada to fulfill my CoPR this week. I plan on living in Toronto, but because of flight unavailability, I have to first land in Vancouver. With the new 14 day quarantine rules, I was wondering if it's ok for me to do my landing interview etc in Vancouver, and then on the same day transit to Toronto? Or do I have to do my 14 day quarantine in Vancouver first?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
BUMP to the previous transit questions - do we have to do quarantine in our first landing airport or can we transit?

I am planning on flying in to Canada to fulfill my CoPR this week. I plan on living in Toronto, but because of flight unavailability, I have to first land in Vancouver. With the new 14 day quarantine rules, I was wondering if it's ok for me to do my landing interview etc in Vancouver, and then on the same day transit to Toronto? Or do I have to do my 14 day quarantine in Vancouver first?
The transit guidance seems to contradict the usual advice and seems to be aimed at transits out of Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html

Given you Usually have to clear immigration and customs at the first POE You would expect that if you remain airside and do not exit arrivals into general population then you would be fine . The above guidance not clear though as only seems to apply to transits out of Canada

UPDated from above post

Read section on domestic travel which has a mention of connection from outside of the country. There is just too much information posted by IRCC..

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

Last edited:

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Sharing my experience here just in case it helps someone.
I managed to complete my landing at Toronto today. Although CoPRs are exempt from travel restrictions, while checking in at the counter, the agent had to call the ETA Helpdesk to check if I could board the plane! They’re checking all visas on case by case basis and after they arrive at the conclusion that it’s essential only then will they issue your boarding pass. 2 people had to return since they’re travel was deemed as non essential by the ETA agent (not sure about the exact details of these passengers though).
There were hardly 10 to 12 people on board and hence could maintain the distance between passengers. Finished my immigration and customs in less than 10 minutes. The officer did ask me how was I going to quarantine myself and if I understand that I cannot step out for any reason and as to how was I going to manage with the essentials. The 14 day isolation is mandatory! No soft landing allowed.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Thank you for sharing. All the best.

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Does that mean we again need to fill web form after the lock down is over and tell them that we are able to travel?Or if my visa is expired and I have already filled webform before expiry date ,they will themselves contact me?Thanks
Hi! How do u plan to travel!!There are no direct flights to Toronto after 14.one polish air is showing.. that's it..and 2 flights of 45 hours beach