+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convention Refugee very recently applied for PR

ahmad0707

Star Member
Apr 21, 2019
Hello,
So I recently applied for PR application after being accepted as a Convention refugee, but lately my fiancee and I decided to get married, so I was thinking that I should withdraw my PR application and apply for spousal sponsorship because its very fast. Will this be a good idea and can I withdraw my application which hasent started processing yet. Any quick responses will be greatly appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should keep applying for permanent residency on your own. You never know what can happen to marriages. Spousal sponsorship takes 1 year but maybe longer and PR applications for protected people has gotten much faster.

Reactions: RefugeeHelp1

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hello,
So I recently applied for PR application after being accepted as a Convention refugee, but lately my fiancee and I decided to get married, so I was thinking that I should withdraw my PR application and apply for spousal sponsorship because its very fast. Will this be a good idea and can I withdraw my application which hasent started processing yet. Any quick responses will be greatly appreciated.
i wold have to agree with @canuck78, i have a friend who did that withdrew his claim and it took him over a year for his PR this is currently his 19th Months still waiting and his husband wants a divorce now and he is scared so do your thing on your own and don depend on anyone people change.

but if you choose to go along with it, just know its not always faster, im six months in and med request see my sig for time line alot of our cases are moving way faster that the past..

take a look in here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/time-line-for-permanent-residence-application-for-refugees.17484/ and see that most people are getting DM's and look at the times lines. and also government may wanna look at your case with a side eye (like why he is getting married now is this real or is he /she just doing it for the status)

All the best in anyone you choose to go with.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ahmad0707

Star Member
Apr 21, 2019
i wold have to agree with @canuck78, i have a friend who did that withdrew his claim and it took him over a year for his PR this is currently his 19th Months still waiting and his husband wants a divorce now and he is scared so do your thing on your own and don depend on anyone people change.

but if you choose to go along with it, just know its not always faster, im six months in and med request see my sig for time line alot of our cases are moving way faster that the past..

take a look in here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/time-line-for-permanent-residence-application-for-refugees.17484/ and see that most people are getting DM's and look at the times lines. and also government may wanna look at your case with a side eye (like why he is getting married now is this real or is he /she just doing it for the status)

Since I am convention refugee and will get my PR most probably anyway so I do not think immigration might have any issues. I was just wondering that doing a spousal sponsorship will ease some restrictions like using the passport to travel to UAE to visit my family since UAE do not accepts RTD documents. Since its a arrange marriage and I can tell you they last for very long time :) Greatly appreciated all the responses means a lot :)

ahmad0707

Star Member
Apr 21, 2019

I am also not withdrawing any claim since my claim has been accepted and I have already just applied for PR application which I want to change it to sponsorship application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Since I am convention refugee and will get my PR most probably anyway so I do not think immigration might have any issues. I was just wondering that doing a spousal sponsorship will ease some restrictions like using the passport to travel to UAE to visit my family since UAE do not accepts RTD documents. Since its a arrange marriage and I can tell you they last for very long time :) Greatly appreciated all the responses means a lot :)
You will remain a protected person even after spousal sponsorship so you shouldn’t use your home country passport. Arranged marriages break up especially in countries where women have equal rights. There are no guarantees in any marriage. Would continue pursuing my own PR status. Yes there will still be scrutiny of your marriage as an arranged marriage as a new protected person.

ahmad0707

Star Member
Apr 21, 2019
You will remain a protected person even after spousal sponsorship so you shouldn’t use your home country passport. Arranged marriages break up especially in countries where women have equal rights. There are no guarantees in any marriage. Would continue pursuing my own PR status. Yes there will still be scrutiny of your marriage as an arranged marriage as a new protected person.
that should clear my mind, thanks so much :)