+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consequences of adding Spouse as accompanying or not to EE profile

Rose Anjum

Dec 8, 2021
I applied for PR & have been waiting in the Express Entry pool. I recently got married. My husband is a Refugee claimant on an open work permit. He cleared his medicals & has clean record (none criminal offenses). He is inland/in Canada with me now. On the other hand, I came as an international student & got my post graduate work permit under which I gained work experience. I would just be updating my relationship status to married on my EE profile but not adding him as my dependent. Or is it mandatory to add him as accompanying? He is proceeding on his own separately. If somehow his case doesn't have a positive outcome will it impact my PR directly leading to refusal too?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I applied for PR & have been waiting in the Express Entry pool. I recently got married. My husband is a Refugee claimant on an open work permit. He cleared his medicals & has clean record (none criminal offenses). He is inland/in Canada with me now. On the other hand, I came as an international student & got my post graduate work permit under which I gained work experience. I would just be updating my relationship status to married on my EE profile but not adding him as my dependent. Or is it mandatory to add him as accompanying? He is proceeding on his own separately. If somehow his case doesn't have a positive outcome will it impact my PR directly leading to refusal too?
You need to add him as your dependent (even as non-accompanying). If you failed to declare him, you are misrepresenting and you can NEVER sponsor him.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You might want to post this to the Refugee / Asylum section of the forum. You definitely have to include him in your application. Whether you include him as accompanying or non-accompanying is up to you. Since he is a refugee claimant, I think there could potentially be some impacts to your PR application since he would be classified as not having status in Canada and would have a removal order in place (which may make him inadmissible). Post your question to the other section of the forum too.

Rose Anjum

Dec 8, 2021
You need to add him as your dependent (even as non-accompanying). If you failed to declare him, you are misrepresenting and you can NEVER sponsor him.
Thank you for replying. What do I reply to this question then? 2) ii. Will your spouse or common-law partner come with you to Canada? - Yes or no as he's already in Canada & not my dependent. And does he then need to submit IELTS & other info? His passport is taken by Refugee Board so he can't even sit for IELTS exam now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You posted a similar question a year ago and got advice then. You might want to review that again now.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/adding-refugee-spouse-to-pr-application.775322/

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for replying. What do I reply to this question then? 2) ii. Will your spouse or common-law partner come with you to Canada? - Yes or no as he's already in Canada & not my dependent. And does he then need to submit IELTS & other info? His passport is taken by Refugee Board so he can't even sit for IELTS exam now.
He does not need to sit IELTS. I think your bigger issue is that he will be classified as inadmissible to Canada due to his refugee claim and that will result in your application being refused regardless of whether he is accompanying or non-accompanying. See the link I provided above where someone responded to a similar question you posted a year ago.

Reactions: YVR123