10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
pinklady said:
This I agree with. You should not be able to sponsor a spouse if you have been sponsored by a spouse or sponsored a spouse previously. One time only!!
Why? I would find that quite unfair. Relationships break up (let's remember the divorce rate of about 50%). I realize that everybody thinks that their marriage/partnership is the exception, but if we look at it realistically every 2nd of us is wrong about that.

So why exactly would you want to take away the right to sponsor a new partner just because the person was unlucky and the previous relationship failed? I think that would be quite cruel.

As for sponsoring other family, I would be in for that.
As for the 5 year probation period I am undecided. As I mentioned earlier I would rather try to get processed as Skilled Worker/Experience Class before applying as Family Class if that means "being on probation" for x years. But I guess 2 or 5 years would not make a huge difference and would actually make it harder for fraudulent couples.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
valy79 said:
So why exactly would you want to take away the right to sponsor a new partner just because the person was unlucky and the previous relationship failed? I think that would be quite cruel.
Because I deeply, seriously doubt that spousal PRs sponsoring new spouses, usually from countries of their own citizenship, have simply been "unlucky" :) It's cruel and unfair and life is hard, tough luck - if you were sponsored by your Canadian spouse and your relationship breaks down, your next partner will either be Canadian, or immigrate on their own merit, or you can both move to his/her country and live happily ever after.

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Id trade off the sponsoring whilst still on a PR, why not, you're not even yet canadian anyway.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
_696_ said:
Id trade off the sponsoring whilst still on a PR, why not, you're not even yet canadian anyway.
So another option could be, no sponsoring while a PR?
Would you say that skilled workers can only immigrate with a partner when they arrive together?

Or would sponsoring be limited to Citizens, no matter what the immigration stream (spousal, FSW etc)?

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Baloo said:
So another option could be, no sponsoring while a PR?
Would you say that skilled workers can only immigrate with a partner when they arrive together?

Or would sponsoring be limited to Citizens, no matter what the immigration stream (spousal, FSW etc)?
Considering we're trying to make it harder for fraudsters on the family stream, then if coming through family stream, you wouldn't be able to sponsor spouses unless you become citizen.

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
_696_ said:
Considering we're trying to make it harder for fraudsters on the family stream, then if coming through family stream, you wouldn't be able to sponsor spouses unless you become citizen.
Just thought to this, for FSW's, what about recalculating your scores under current regulation for you and your sponsored spouse to see if you can keep your PR?

Example, you came in through FSW 2 years ago, now you would like to sponsor your spouse, ok we asses you as sponsor but alto re-asses your qualifications, education etc + SPOUSE's as if she would have been applying as accompanying spouse and check this score to decide whether your application is considered or not, in the negative case, we wouldn't kick you out, but you cannot sponsor for the moment since if you would be coming both together you wouldn't have enough points for us to process your app.

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
pinklady said:
This I agree with. You should not be able to sponsor a spouse if you have been sponsored by a spouse or sponsored a spouse previously. One time only!!
Totally disagree. This leaves no room for gray area. What happens if your spouse dies? Does that mean if say you want to marry someone from your same culture.....or someone from your home country....you cannot do that because you cannot sponser them?

What happens if in life....things happen and say its a person who the marriage was real, and wonderful and later in life the spouse changes...or goes down the wrong path and the marriage cannot be saved. This means the person cannot marry anyone outside Canada...whether they fall in love or not??

How is that fair?? Yes this may weed out a fair amount of fraudulent marriages. But how would you like to be that person caught in the grey area?? Would you be so agreeable if suddenly you found your marriage over, and yourself in love with someone you'd have to sponser...and unable to be with that person because your not allowed to file for them??

Just because your not in the grey area...the small catagory of people that might be seriously screwed by this....doesn't mean you should so quickly agree. I think yes there should be some TIGHT regulations for filing a second time but I don't think it should be flat out no. Circumstances are different for different people.

I plan on being married to the same person for a life time...so I doubt this would ever touch me. But I still dont want to see good innocent people lose their rights just because the government is saying....lets do whats best for the masses and ignore the small amount of people who are an exception circumstance wise!!

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
SmoothiesQueen said:
Totally disagree. This leaves no room for gray area. What happens if your spouse dies? Does that mean if say you want to marry someone from your same culture.....or someone from your home country....you cannot do that because you cannot sponser them?

What happens if in life....things happen and say its a person who the marriage was real, and wonderful and later in life the spouse changes...or goes down the wrong path and the marriage cannot be saved. This means the person cannot marry anyone outside Canada...whether they fall in love or not??
If you moved out of your original country to be with your Canadian love, why wouldn't you move out of Canada to be with your next love?

If GOD FORBID something happened to my husband, I wouldn't stay in Canada. He's my only reason to be here. And I would like to be next to my family to support me through something like that. Not up here all alone in the cold, lol.

SmoothiesQueen

Jun 18, 2010
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 24th 2011
bonbon9 said:
If you moved out of your original country to be with your Canadian love, why wouldn't you move out of Canada to be with your next love?

If GOD FORBID something happened to my husband, I wouldn't stay in Canada. He's my only reason to be here. And I would like to be next to my family to support me through something like that. Not up here all alone in the cold, lol.
I understand what your saying. But your circumstances are not going to be everyones. Logically speaking...what if the marriages ends after you've had kids, and your kids are half way grown. Now say you want to get married to someone...we all know sometimes we can fall in love when we least expect it...to who we least expect . What if this person was simply an American..(Canadians tend to often spend a fair bit of time in the US or often have family in the US seeing as how we are sister coutries in a sense)...who we met while they lived here temporarily working...or while on vacation in the US...or maybe you have some family in the US and met this person through them...whatever. Does this mean you have to uproot your kids....or deny them one parent by moving far away...just to be with that person? Or do you have to do the unselfish thing and stay single...just because some immigration law makes it so you have to make that choice!!

We all know what its like to love someone...or likely we wouldnt be on this site. So imagine if you were torn from your loved one because of this law. And while this law may not affect you now..what if it did one day. Or what if this was you. Again I say..everyones circumstances are different....there will be people horribly affected by this!

Its funny everyone here is waiting for a sponsered loved one...and yet because you fall in the class that can sponser...your willing to support a law that might prevent another geuine person at some point in their life from being with their loved one. Life is funny!! Y ou can never say what your future circumstances will be!!

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
SmoothiesQueen said:
I understand what your saying. But your circumstances are not going to be everyones. Logically speaking...what if the marriages ends after you've had kids, and your kids are half way grown. Now say you want to get married to someone...we all know sometimes we can fall in love when we least expect it...to who we least expect . What if this person was simply an American..(Canadians tend to often spend a fair bit of time in the US or often have family in the US seeing as how we are sister coutries in a sense)...who we met while they lived here temporarily working...or while on vacation in the US...or maybe you have some family in the US and met this person through them...whatever. Does this mean you have to uproot your kids....or deny them one parent by moving far away...just to be with that person? Or do you have to do the unselfish thing and stay single...just because some immigration law makes it so you have to make that choice!!

We all know what its like to love someone...or likely we wouldnt be on this site. So imagine if you were torn from your loved one because of this law. And while this law may not affect you now..what if it did one day. Or what if this was you. Again I say..everyones circumstances are different....there will be people horribly affected by this!

Its funny everyone here is waiting for a sponsered loved one...and yet because you fall in the class that can sponser...your willing to support a law that might prevent another geuine person at some point in their life from being with their loved one. Life is funny!! Y ou can never say what your future circumstances will be!!
Like fleo said earlier, my then partner would be able to still apply under another category like FSW if my bottoms were really that "glued" to Canada.

The thing is that, if your marriage breaks, it is as if you are no longer a member of the Family Class. In theory, people shouldn't even keep their own PR's.

If my marriage broke, with children or without, I would still go back to my original country because my only tie to Canada would be broken. And I don't feel like going away to another country and separating my kids from their father would be something so horrible, I mean, a lot of people that are being sponsored in this site are in that same situation bringing their kids to Canada. It is a choice in life, and kids can go through everything and anything if they're surrounded by people that love them. So even more reasons to go back to my home country with my own family. They would need the support as much as I would.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I love all the debate and ideas! However, some of the suggestions would require changing the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. Not gonna happen. Even some of the suggestions I like such as a bar on sponsorship for a period of time "could" be subject to a Charter challenge if someone had the money to go all the way. It WOULD get challenged if there was a permanent bar on sponsorship and the challenge would win. The government is not going to do that.

As far as sponsoring other family members (parents, grandparents, etc.), the way the Conservative government is going, it looks like their end goal is to make it take so long and be so difficult that there will fewer applicants. Again, it would have Charter implications if they got rid of it altogether.

If you want to read the Charter, it's here: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/charter/Page-1.html

In fact, you should all read it. You are either Canadians or trying to become a PR to Canada so you should know your fundamental rights.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
rjessome said:
However, some of the suggestions would require changing the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.
Why of course, we're discriminating left, right and centre :D But like most things in life - it can be legal or it can be efficient ;D

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
to all the ones debating, fleo, bonbon: u cannot ban sponsorship on future spouses all together, just for a period of time; what if something happens in 10, 20 years: by that time they (current sponsor and applicant) will be a family, there will b children involved, the past applicant would b Canadian citizen, would b adjusted in Canada like in his own home, he would have nothing to go back to, no reason to leave Canada, and u tell him that if he wants to re-build his life and find someone else he has to find her in Canada only??? that's not Canada i (as a sponsor) dream and hope to be

u say that u'd leave Canada if something happens...not everyone would!! i myself immigrated to Canada some time ago and i would never permanently leave...i have no more strong ties with my home country, i would never go back there!!! Canada is my home now, it offered me as much as i offered back and i'll do my best to make it a better place for me and my family; reading valy's experience, i believe this new regulation should b revised differently for inland vs outland; they should consider the ones who were living in Canada before they met their sponsor and if something happens to the relationship allow them a more straight-forward way to re-apply for other types of immigration classes...

all the time don't think only abt urselves, think also abt ppl caught in between :-\

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rjessome said:
As far as sponsoring other family members (parents, grandparents, etc.), the way the Conservative government is going, it looks like their end goal is to make it take so long and be so difficult that there will fewer applicants. Again, it would have Charter implications if they got rid of it altogether.
Well Canada could adopt the Australian system of only 1000 parental places available in a year - the current application time is about 20 years.
Are rights are being trampled in this instance?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada is my home now, it offered me as much as i offered back
This is key...

Maybe those that do not "offer back", do not deserve to be in Canada?

Can Canada afford to support all the extended families that the current system allows?

Avoiding the politics, isn't this a public view rather than a government view (because the politicians always try and follow the public in an election)?

Note: I post this to provoke conversation.