+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditional Permanent Residency

madubyk

May 2, 2016
Hey guys,

I have just been accepted as a conditional permanent resident in Canada. The rule states that my spouse and I must live together for 2 years and then the conditions are removed. My husband and I are going to 2 different colleges and will spent 1/2 our time together in a shared lease apartment. He will have another apartment alone for the other 1/2 of the time.

After 1 year I was hoping to transfer schools across country without him WHILE remaining in a committed relationship.

Questions:

Does immigration ask you to prove you have been living together for those 2 years at some point?

Would school/ work be an exception to the "conditions" rule?

Should we both take my husbands parents Canadian address as our "permanent residence" and have all our mail sent there but still live elsewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Already answered, here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/conditional-permanent-residency-question-t430293.0.html;msg5260069#msg5260069

? ? ?

jwnmm

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2016
Doc's Request.
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2016
File Transfer...
04-04-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM: 28-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempt; CoPR: 02-05-2016
LANDED..........
07-05-2016
In a similar situation, except I was already going to school in US and finished 2 years. Decided I would just risk some credits and transfer to a uni here, I honestly didn't know about Condition 51 until after the application was submitted (and figured if I wanted to I could finish up what I had started in US). Probably would have submitted it anyway even if I had known beforehand, honestly. Didn't like my university much.

I have to take a gap year since I found out I was moving too late to apply (and this has caused me a bit of distress, but if being pushed back means being able to live with my husband as a PR it's worth it). As mentioned, technically you are violating the Condition, and it's up to you whether you want to take the risk or not. There's some sacrifices you have to make, unfortunately, I think everyone does when they decide to move unless they up and move everything and job/school situation is peaches and cream.