+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Condition of PNP PR - Moving to other province? -

shig

Apr 6, 2007
Hey all,

I applied my PR under federal skilled worker class, but I'm feeling that it might be better to apply under PNP Alberta.

One question is, how long do I need to stay in the province, or work for the current employee?

I have a plan of going back to college in B.C, not sure when at this moment.
But it'll be very helpful to know this information to plan my future education.

Thanks a lot!

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
An applicant may have to sign an agreement with CIC with regard to their Provincial nomination to include the obligation to do the job within the Province that his/her nomination was based on. And, the time frame within which they should stay in the province could vary - it's up to CIC.

So far, the usual trend has been that an applicant stays in the province and works at the designated job for a period of 3 years, after which, the applicant will be eligible to apply for citizenship.

So, in most cases, you might be able to move to another province after 3 years and passing the citizen test and sworn in as a citizen or, it could be after the agreed-upon obligation fulfillment with CIC, whichever comes first.

*** Remember that a PNP applicant's agreement with CIC supercedes everything else - including how long to remain in the Province. *** And, you might not even need to take the citizenship test.

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
We had no agreement, implied or otherwise, through Prince Edward Island govt or CIC. Not that we'd go anywhere else anyway-- Island is home.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
craig53 said:
We had no agreement, implied or otherwise, through Prince Edward Island govt or CIC. Not that we'd go anywhere else anyway-- Island is home.
CIC requires certain PNP applicants based on the provincial LMI (Labor Market Information) to either sign an agreement, or CIC can discretionarily place conditions on your PR visa, or no restriction at all. This discretion is entirely up to CIC on a case by case basis.

dgh1364

Star Member
May 4, 2015
Most of PNP programs ask for your intention to live in that province. You are not going to sign any documents stating that I will stay in my nominated province for certain years.

Don't discuss and confuse each other........

just read this law........http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html

Mobility Rights

Mobility of citizens

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

Rights to move and gain livelihood

(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and

(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Section 6 also adds the below limitation of the above law:

Limitation

(3) The rights specified in subsection (2) are subject to
(a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis of province of present or previous residence; and
(b) any laws providing for reasonable residency requirements as a qualification for the receipt of publicly provided social services.