+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Completed landing but did not get PR card

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Hello All

I completed my landing procedure and returned back to US the same day. The officer asked me for my address in Canada. I said I have my friends address and told him that I am leaving back to US and do not intend ti immigrate in this visit. The officer said that he cannot issue me a PR card at my friends address and I can reenter US based on my landing papers. Has any one faced the similar situation. Please advise. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you tell the IO that you are not planning on being at the address you gave when your PR card arrives, then you don't get a PR card. He is right that you can enter on your landing papers and when you are ready to move to Canada, you do that and once you have an address, you can apply for a PR card.

bennyameh

Dec 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
There was no point traveling when you know that you were leaving the next day.
The rule of the game is to provide an address were you will be residing and it will take even 3 weeks to get the PR card sent to that address.
When you are ready,go back.
Benny

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
a lot of people do what you done. when you really move to canada, you will have to apply for the card...

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
So when I decide to move permanantly to canada can I enter through a canadian airport. My concern is how can I travel without a PR card or visa.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can talk to the Canadian embassy in the country where you live about applying for a PR travel document. The document will allow you to travel to Canada where you can apply for your PR card.

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Bavarian,

I am not a pro with Immigration issues but my Representative has clearly explained me that the Golden Rule is not to tell the Officer that you are going to leave the very next day. The officer did RIGHT. I wonder if one can reenter Canada with the same lnading papers. The visa stamped on your passport might be valid just 4 one entry.

I would call CIC or the Canadian Immigracion Section where you are...

SDF

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What the IO does in this situation is put a hold on his PR card since he doesn't have an address in Canada where he will be staying. I don't think it looks any differently in the system than for people who come to Canada and don't know the address where they will be staying and have to update CIC later.

What he could do would be to write a letter with his file number stating his address as his friends address and preferably send it to his friends who will mail or fax it to CIC from within Canada. Then CIC may just send his PR card to his friends who can mail it to him. I know of it having worked for other people so you can try.

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Leon,
Do you mean I should write a letter to CIC requesting CIC to mail my PR card to my friends address in canada? Please advise. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bavarian said:
Leon,
Do you mean I should write a letter to CIC requesting CIC to mail my PR card to my friends address in canada? Please advise. Thanks.
No. I am saying that you could write a letter saying that you now have an address in Canada to get your PR card mailed to and give your friends address. You should get your friends to mail the letter from within Canada. Of course this would be lying since you are not living at this address but if you write a letter from where you are, requesting CIC to mail your PR card to your friends address in Canada, just like you requested from the IO when you landed, they will tell you to apply for your PR card once you are in Canada and that they will not mail your PR card to an address you are not staying at.

Your other option is waiting until you actually move to Canada and then applying for a PR travel document if you need one and apply for your PR card once you are in Canada to stay and have an address to get your PR card mailed to.

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Thanks a lot for your advise.
Is there a time limit within which I need to travel to Canada and apply for a PR card there?
Please advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is not really a limit as long as you still meet the residency requirements but there may be a time limit on how long you can get your first PR card for free. If you have to pay for it, it's only a $100 though.

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Leon

If I write a letter saying that I now have an address in Canada, would they not know that I am not in Canada. Could they ask where I was all this time while landing? Please advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bavarian said:
Leon

If I write a letter saying that I now have an address in Canada, would they not know that I am not in Canada. Could they ask where I was all this time while landing? Please advise.
If you mail the letter from outside Canada, they will know. If you get your friends to mail it from within Canada, they may not know that you left right away after landing. They might be able to check it if they suspect it but even if they did, the worst they will do is tell you again that you have to be in Canada before you get one.

Dec 9, 2009
Dear Leon,
My question to you is that as i am leaving to canada on 17th May 2010, but i have no friends or relatives in canada, so i am thinking to stay for few days in a hotel and then search for a rented house. So in my case what address i should give to the Officer for sending my PR card.

If possible please give me the names and places of some reasonable rate hotels in Toronto, or suggest me some other ways to search a house before landing.Anxiously waiting for ur reply.