+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit - exceed estimated processing time

WorkerInCanada123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Hi everyone,

I applied for a closed work permit on March 1st. My job is LMIA-exempt and a full application package was submitted (this isn't my first rodeo).

When I submitted my application online, the estimated processing time was 35 days and they were "processing applications submitted on January 31st". I would regularly check this page to see the progress, and about 2 weeks after I submitted it changed to 'processing applications submitted on February 8th". It has now been 42 days and I haven't heard anything. The website STILL says processing applications submitted on February 8th and estimated a 35 day processing. This is quite frustrating as this '35 day' timeframe they give it completely inaccurate- if they were working on application submitted on Feb 8th and today is April 11th then that's >60 day timeframe. I've tried calling the CIC and contacting them through webform but I haven't made any progress.

I am really frustrated as my application has exceed normal processing times but I don't know what else I can do. My employer is equally frustrated. Does anyone have any advice? Should I contact my local MP? (I am currently in Canada).

Thanks!

Last edited:

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Unfortunately the times are estimated, so it is really just a rough guide, not a definite time. When I applied for my PGWP it took a bit longer than what was on the website and I agree it is frustrating, but there is not much you can do apart from wait. If it gets to something ridiculous, then contact them again.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yeah that happened to me when I looked at the Website as well. They tend not to update the timeline a lot at all.

RonaBella

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Same thing happening for me. But I applied for an Open Work Permit through paper application outside Canada. I submitted mine on February 6 and since then there was no progress. I always check the processing times and it is already exceeded. It is really frustrating to wait but there's nothing more we can do. I also sent an email to them but there is no reply yet.

Sukh riar

Apr 14, 2018
Hello everyone
I submitted my application on 30 jan as a truck driver closed work permit but still didn't receive ant response if anyone applied in jan or feb please share info

Sukh riar

Apr 14, 2018
Did you submit your application online or by paper? And did you do it yourself or use an immigration lawyer?
I submit online and applied by Canadian lawyer.when i ask him he told me wait minimum 3 months and now its almost 74 days,when i check processing time on cic website it shows 10 weeks

ene04

Mar 1, 2018
Website has been updated and processing time changed to 116 days and working for applications on Dec 10 for work permit extension under same employer. So I guess everyone has to wait again for a couple weeks