+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship (certificate) application denied. Please help me understand why.

current

Jan 24, 2017
I'm hoping the wisdom of this board can help me see what I seem to fail to understand. I recently applied for a Canadian citizenship certificate for myself and my 17-year old daughter. The particulars: I was born in 1965 in the U.S. to Canadian-born Canadian citizens. My daughter was born in 1998 in the U.S. My citizenship certificate was granted, and my daughter’s was denied, with the explanation that I was not a Canadian citizen at the time of her birth.

I understand that Bill C-37 prevents citizens from passing down citizenship to their children born abroad after one generation. However, my reading of this bill is that this applies only to children born after 2009. From the C-37 legislative summary:
This new rule cutting off citizenship after one generation born abroad is only applicable to people born after the rule comes into effect. People born before the rule comes into effect and who are second- or subsequent generation Canadians born abroad retain their existing Canadian citizenship (new section 3(4)). In fact, their position is improved under Bill C-37 as they are no longer subject to the requirement to register and retain their citizenship by age 28.”

From the same publication, regarding my not being a Canadian citizen at the time of my daughter’s birth: “In general terms, Bill C-37 ensures that citizenship is restored to “lost Canadians” retroactively, either to the time it was lost, or for those who never have been citizens in the first place, to birth. These retroactive provisions fill in “gaps” of time in the past when lost Canadians were not citizens. Legally recognizing the continuous citizenship of Canadians is important for those who had children born abroad. A person must be a Canadian citizen at the time of his or her child’s birth in order to pass citizenship by descent to the child born abroad.”

To my reading, these statements would indicate that I am considered to have been a Canadian citizen at the time of my daughter’s birth, and that the law limiting citizenship to one generation born abroad would not apply to her, being born before 2009. Obviously, my understanding of this is different than that of the immigration officer who handled our applications! I would greatly appreciate if someone could set me straight. Or is this something that I should appeal? Thanks!

jpmorg

Jan 25, 2012
Limit to citizenship by descent [subsection 3(3)]
The Citizenship Act limits citizenship by descent to the first generation born outside Canada to a Canadian parent. As of April 17, 2009, in order for a person born outside Canada to be a citizen by descent, that person must be born in the first generation to a Canadian parent.

This means that, in general, persons who were not already Canadian citizens immediately before April 17, 2009, and who were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent are not Canadian if

their Canadian parent was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (the person is therefore the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada); or
their Canadian parent was granted Canadian citizenship under section 5.1, the adoption provisions of the Citizenship Act (the person is therefore the second generation born outside Canada).

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jpmorg is correct. For your daughter to be a Canadian citizen, you would have had to be a Canadian citizen when she was born. Since your birth outside of Canada was not registered, you were not a citizen until April 17, 2009. At the same time as you became a citizen in 2009, the limit on citizenship by descent to the first generation born abroad came into effect. Your reading of the law to mean that anyone born before 2009 inherited citizenship is incorrect.

If you had known, there was the opportunity between 1977 and 2004 for you to have made a delayed registration of birth abroad, thereby becoming a Canadian citizen retroactive to your date of birth. (See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/proof/registration.asp) In that case, your daughter would have become a Canadian citizen.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
xalam said:
you better sponsor her right now before her 18
Don't you mean before her child turns 19. Not 18.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
I would talk to a lawyer about this because if a person is born to a Canadian citizen, they are a Canadian citizen de-facto. De-juro that person might not have a document that proves they are a Canadian citizen. I am not sure how Canadian citizenship system works, de-juro or de-facto. So worth checking with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Godzilla9 said:
I would talk to a lawyer about this because if a person is born to a Canadian citizen, they are a Canadian citizen de-facto. De-juro that person might not have a document that proves they are a Canadian citizen. I am not sure how Canadian citizenship system works, de-juro or de-facto. So worth checking with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer.
Mother was not Canadian at time of birth, therefore daughter is not Canadian. Its pretty black letter. Mother can either sponsor daughter and apply for her citizenship once landed or fight a probably futile equity case in court regarding lack of publicity about delayed registration.

SusanB

Jan 3, 2017
I'm curious about the effective date on the mother's new certificate of citizenship. Was it the date of her birth? That would seem to strengthen the argument for the daughter.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
SusanB said:
I'm curious about the effective date on the mother's new certificate of citizenship. Was it the date of her birth? That would seem to strengthen the argument for the daughter.
It doesn't matter. Even though the mother's certificate will say Canadian since birth, it doesn't change the fact that the mother wasn't Canadian at time of child's birth. The mother newly acquired citizenship as of 2009 is not retroactive thus child cannot get citizenship through her mother, despite mother's certificate saying she was Canadian since birth. Remember the 2009 law recognized the mother's citizenship since birth starting 2009. In other words, prior to 2009 law, mother was not Canadian. after 2009 law, mother is Canadian since birth.