+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate After Oath

Koushani

Nov 28, 2022
It will take about 2-3 weeks (from the date application is marked closed), if you did not request for your certificate to be expedited.
In our case I requested for certificates to be expedited cpl of days before the ceremony (but it was rejected) but during the Oath ceremony the clerk acknowledge the expedite request and said that she will send the certificate by post the next day provided we send the signed Oath forms(by email) as soon as the ceremony is finished.
Oath: Sep 13
File Closed: Sep 14 (Tracker updated on Sep 15)
Certificate received by standard Canada Post mail: Sep 16
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/august-2021-citizenship-applicants.740188/post-10217822

SCR office
Thank you for sharing your experience. We do have travel plan in early March (which cannot be termed as Urgent, more of a vacation) and I am determined to apply for Expedite passport, but I am hoping it won't be so much delayed that I'd have to go for Urgent passport.

Also, the IRCC officer did ask us to send the Signed form AS SOON AS after the Oath, as she said she wanted to get the cert posted by Saturday (as I heard) or Monday (as my spouse heard lol). And they both (1 officer and 1 clerk) rushed us 3-4 times during the ceremony to do the same. So I am hoping for the best to get it in 2 weeks at least. :)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you for sharing your experience. We do have travel plan in early March (which cannot be termed as Urgent, more of a vacation) and I am determined to apply for Expedite passport, but I am hoping it won't be so much delayed that I'd have to go for Urgent passport.

Also, the IRCC officer did ask us to send the Signed form AS SOON AS after the Oath, as she said she wanted to get the cert posted by Saturday (as I heard) or Monday (as my spouse heard lol). And they both (1 officer and 1 clerk) rushed us 3-4 times during the ceremony to do the same. So I am hoping for the best to get it in 2 weeks at least. :)
Okay thats great.
Going by what you mentioned above, I would tell you to start looking for the brown envelope in the mailbox in the next days or so, as I think yours should come in sooner than 2 weeks.
You have ample time to get the passport, no need to pay extra to expedite.
Keep your passport application forms ready, get your guarantor to sign them and the back of the photograph (just one)
Apply for the passport at the Passport Canada office (do not apply at Service Canada). Walkin are allowed you do not need to book an appointment for it, I would suggest you to go to your nearest Passport Canada office after 11am because by then the line up is reduced
It take less than 2 weeks to receive the passport Now as per the standard process..

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Koushani

fbs404

Jan 3, 2023
It will take about 2-3 weeks (from the date application is marked closed), if you did not request for your certificate to be expedited.
In our case I requested for certificates to be expedited cpl of days before the ceremony (but it was rejected) but during the Oath ceremony the clerk acknowledge the expedite request and said that she will send the certificate by post the next day provided we send the signed Oath forms(by email) as soon as the ceremony is finished.
Oath: Sep 13
File Closed: Sep 14 (Tracker updated on Sep 15)
Certificate received by standard Canada Post mail: Sep 16
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/august-2021-citizenship-applicants.740188/post-10217822

SCR office
How do you apply for expedited certificate?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
How do you apply for expedited certificate?
You have to request for an expedite either by emailing local IRCC office (you will have to provide a reason, merely going on vacation, travel with family is not reason to expedite) and also discussing during the ceremony with the clerk who reviews your document.

Reactions: fbs404

june394

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but since most people here have already taken their oath, I'm hoping there's someone here who's been in a similar situation and can share their experience.

I recently had a zoom ceremony, and due to a technical glitch I ended up being on mute during the entire time when we were supposed to recite our oath. It was about 80 people and everyone was talking over each other, and I said everything nice and loud, so the clerks could see my lips moving, but now I'm really worried that they might invalidate the entire oath because of this...

Has anyone here had the same issue during their oath?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but since most people here have already taken their oath, I'm hoping there's someone here who's been in a similar situation and can share their experience.

I recently had a zoom ceremony, and due to a technical glitch I ended up being on mute during the entire time when we were supposed to recite our oath. It was about 80 people and everyone was talking over each other, and I said everything nice and loud, so the clerks could see my lips moving, but now I'm really worried that they might invalidate the entire oath because of this...

Has anyone here had the same issue during their oath?
That's not gonna happen. They don't record and verify that everyone perfectly recited the oath and then only send the citizenship certificate.

Reactions: june394

june394

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
That's not gonna happen. They don't record and verify that everyone perfectly recited the oath and then only send the citizenship certificate.
Thanks for your response! As it turns out, my tracker got closed this morning, so you're right - they didn't make a bid deal out of it. Phew :)

Reactions: forw.jane

Koushani

Nov 28, 2022
We applied as family of 3 including 1 minor. Our Oath was on 28th Jan (Saturday) and as per instructions, sent signed Oath form for only myself and my spouse.

But today received the Certificate only for the minor that too, addressed to him. Is it something to be alarmed/worried for ?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
We applied as family of 3 including 1 minor. Our Oath was on 28th Jan (Saturday) and as per instructions, sent signed Oath form for only myself and my spouse.

But today received the Certificate only for the minor that too, addressed to him. Is it something to be alarmed/worried for ?
No everyone receives certificate individually even if it's a family application. Yours would be on its way.

Koushani

Nov 28, 2022
No everyone receives certificate individually even if it's a family application. Yours would be on its way.
Ohh ! I was under the impression they’d mail out to the Primary applicant within which certs of others would be kept. Thank you very much for the info, it calms me down :).

Also, is it common to receive Certs on different dates like this ? I almost got a heart attack when saw only 1 out of 3.:(

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Ohh ! I was under the impression they’d mail out to the Primary applicant within which certs of others would be kept. Thank you very much for the info, it calms me down :).

Also, is it common to receive Certs on different dates like this ? I almost got a heart attack when saw only 1 out of 3.:(
Happens sometimes. Don't worry, you will receive it soon.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017

When ours arrived, we thought this was the case, but it turns out mine was in the same envelope as my minor child's. It was only addressed to the minor child.

Koushani

Nov 28, 2022
When ours arrived, we thought this was the case, but it turns out mine was in the same envelope as my minor child's. It was only addressed to the minor child.
Thank you for sharing. :) This lack of consistency and process is what keeps me worried. I asked the agent if they mail separately, should I be worried that ours isn’t here yet, they said they don’t have any specific way to do it, it can be from 1 envelope to (x # of applicants) # of envelopes there lol.

The end goal for all applicants is to receive this certificate. I wish IRCC considers that and introduces Tracking# for future applicants, even if that causes a slight increase to the Appl cost (strictly my opinion here). At least we’d be able to do something about it if such important piece of paper goes mishandled due to human error (which is very much possible and I won’t be blaming a person for a human error). My 2 cents.

yv9205

Feb 15, 2022
Oath Ceremony - Jan. 09, 2023 (SK MB Office)

No changes on the online tracker. Still waiting for the citizenship certificate.

Did anyone take the oath on the same day? Thanks.
Hello,

took oath on the same day January 9th.
Virtual oath with MB SK office.
No update in the tracker, neither received my certificate.
spoke With ircc agent and mentioned my certificate was mailed out on 18th and till date there is no sign of certificate in my mail box.
please update if you had received it or seen any change in the online tracker status.