+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate After Oath

Hussam68

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Hi all,

I have taken my Oath on the 5th of April, Niagara Falls office, but my oath ceremony status still showing In Progress, should I be worried. Also does IRCC send conformation that the Oath form has been received..appreciate Your thoughts

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am in a weird situation.
I was out of country due to family reasons when I got Oath Ceremony. I connected to Oath ceremony and explained the scenario.
The officer told, I can't take Oath at that time and asked to send a note through webform when I am back in Canada.

By the time, I am in Canada I got Citizenship Certificate. I was speechless on what to do.

As I haven't cut my PR card or properly participated in Oath Ceremony, I sent webform with my itinerary and mentioned I am in Canada and can take Oath any time.

Its been around 1.5-2 months and has been no update. not able to reach agent over phone.

Not sure what to do with the existing Citizenship Certificate I got.!!
I am seeing posts already that few people already allowed to take oath from outside. So i think that you received your citizenship.
During the call, you didnt actually take the oath at all? you didnt stay in the call till end?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I was out of country due to family reasons when I got Oath Ceremony. I connected to Oath ceremony and explained the scenario.
The officer told, I can't take Oath at that time and asked to send a note through webform when I am back in Canada.

By the time, I am in Canada I got Citizenship Certificate. I was speechless on what to do.

As I haven't cut my PR card or properly participated in Oath Ceremony, I sent webform with my itinerary and mentioned I am in Canada and can take Oath any time.

Its been around 1.5-2 months and has been no update. not able to reach agent over phone.

So basically you got the certificate but didn't take the oath? So, probably the agent didn't report that you were outside Canada. Is your file closed?

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am seeing posts already that few people already allowed to take oath from outside. So i think that you received your citizenship.
During the call, you didnt actually take the oath at all? you didnt stay in the call till end?
No, I didn't stay till the end of ceremony.
I joined, explained the situation. The Officer told, I can't take the Oath and asked me to send an email/webform when I am back in Canada.

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So basically you got the certificate but didn't take the oath? So, probably the agent didn't report that you were outside Canada. Is your file closed?
The file is not closed.
Citizenship Ceremony shows as 'In Progress'.

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How is that possible? When the file is closed, the fields go away.
That's confusing to me as well.
I didn't properly attend Ceremony and hence I can't use certificate.

I am trying to reach IRCC customer service almost every day in morning time but not able to reach person.

tmonde

Jul 10, 2017
I have my oath scheduled for April 13th.

I already have flight ticket for Croatia bought long time ago for May 7th.

I sent them an email as soon as I received my ceremony details asking to advise me weather I should postpone my ceremony or will they be able to send me the certificate urgently.
Unfortunately didn’t not get reply.

Tried calling IRCC probably over 50 times with no success of getting through to speak with someone.

anyone with similar situation knows if they are willing to send my certificate faster (providing them with my flight itinerary) so I have time to get my passport in time?

I guess option B would be telling them over zoom that I can’t do the oath as I can’t miss this flight.
any info or help appreciated..

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I have my oath scheduled for April 13th.

I already have flight ticket for Croatia bought long time ago for May 7th.

I sent them an email as soon as I received my ceremony details asking to advise me weather I should postpone my ceremony or will they be able to send me the certificate urgently.
Unfortunately didn’t not get reply.

Tried calling IRCC probably over 50 times with no success of getting through to speak with someone.

anyone with similar situation knows if they are willing to send my certificate faster (providing them with my flight itinerary) so I have time to get my passport in time?

I guess option B would be telling them over zoom that I can’t do the oath as I can’t miss this flight.
any info or help appreciated..
Tell them during the Oath Ceremony that you have a flight scheduled. Then, when you send the signed form to them, attach the tickets & explain you are requesting urgent processing (and why). That should speed the process up. [This is what my ceremony clerk advised me to do. However, my case has been "closed" for almost 3 weeks now and I still don't have the certificate & am flying April 28th.]

deborsi

Feb 14, 2022
Edmonton
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Oath - 24th of March
Case Closed - 30th of March
Citizenship Certificate Received - 11th of April

Reactions: aacan

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021

You should send it back. Then take the oath. And then they will send it back to you. :D

• Haha
Reactions: harirajmohan

Ashlesh007

Jul 30, 2014
Hi Members,

How can I request for expedited citizenship certificate? Also, is it 100% necessary to cut the PR card because if I do not get the certificate I can use my PR card for travel?
Thanks

wksj

Oct 7, 2021
Hi Members,

How can I request for expedited citizenship certificate? Also, is it 100% necessary to cut the PR card because if I do not get the certificste I can use it to travel?
Thanks
You have to cut the PR card and you cannot use it to travel as you will be no longer a PR after the oath!

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Hi Members,

How can I request for expedited citizenship certificate? Also, is it 100% necessary to cut the PR card because if I do not get the certificate I can use my PR card for travel?
Thanks
The clerk will ask if you have any travel plans in the next 2 weeks. If you say yes and tell them why you need to travel, they should be able to send your certificate via Purolator within a week. They will also instruct you to send the proof of travel and any supporting documentation along with signed oath form after ceremony to expedite the certificate...and yes, you need to cut the PR card, the conversation begins with cutting PR card after verifying your ID's.

I had my oath on a Tuesday and received certificate via Purolator the following Monday from IRCC Niagara Falls office.

Reactions: Dani_Ela