+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate After Oath

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
If you don’t mind me asking. How long did it take for them to call you back to confirm the appointment? I submitted a request online on the 11th but I have not received a call yet. I called them today and the agent said they have a high volume of requests and 2 business days isn’t calculated the way we think it is. I should expect a call soon. He didn’t offer to book me an appointment although I told him I have a ticket booked for April which is within the next 25 business business days. He then said worse case scenario I should all within 2 business days of the flight for urgent processing.
Yeah - thats probably the reason why they are taking time to call you back - since your flight is still sometime away. Don't worry, they will ensure that you will get the passport on time. I received a call after 4 days and adjusted me for an appointment based on my flight date - although they sent me off to a different city for submitting the application. Also remember they will always call from unknow number. So don't miss it.

Reactions: Bunzie25

Andy_ready

Star Member
Aug 7, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-11-2017
Hello everyone,
Sharing timeline
Oath ceremony: march 10th
Oath form emailed: march 10th
ECAS status completed: march 14th
Certificate:awaiting
Office: Mississauga

also can anyone provide info on passport? The sticky thread said I don’t need to wait for certificate, but the Canada.ca says that citizenship certificate need to be provided in original.

Bunzie25

Jan 7, 2020
Yeah - thats probably the reason why they are taking time to call you back - since your flight is still sometime away. Don't worry, they will ensure that you will get the passport on time. I received a call after 4 days and adjusted me for an appointment based on my flight date - although they sent me off to a different city for submitting the application. Also remember they will always call from unknow number. So don't miss it.
I feel so much better hearing this. Thanks so much! I will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: vvarma

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Glad to hear. I have an early flight. I requested an appointment online since the 11th but I have not heard back from them yet and I have a travel date for April 16th. I’m hoping they will call soon otherwise I will be left with the option of calling for processing within 2 business days but my flight is early in the morning on the 16th so now I’m worried. Did they consider the timing of your flight when they told you the pick up time?
Yes, they did. Atleast, the agent who processed my application did so. But I also insisted about my flight time etc. You should mention that when you go. Mention it atleast a couple of times --- at the door, at the first checking counter, and then with the agent.

Good luck!

Reactions: Bunzie25

Bunzie25

Jan 7, 2020
They just called me and my appointment is booked for March 29th for the passport office close to house in Brampton.

Rai Mazhar Farid Jami

Nov 18, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Pics req 10 Feb, submitted on 16 Feb 2015....Schedule A & PCC request on 29 July2015
Nomination.....
31-12-2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
2nd line updated on 29 July 2015
Med's Request
22 January 2016 , RPRF and passport copies
Med's Done....
28 January 2016 and medical received line updated on 12 Feb 2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10 February 2016 submitted on 16 Feb
VISA ISSUED...
11 March 2016
LANDED..........
30-01-2017
Hello

I am looking for members with following last names and did Oath with Niagara Office (probably on March 08th) and family of four members

- Garcia
- Pinto
- Guevara

If anyone knows then please get me connected with them ASAP.

Amirfarhad

May 21, 2021
Hi All,

i took the oath on March.04.2022 and file closed March.07.2022, still waiting for certificate, anyone have this sutuation?

Richiei

Feb 8, 2022
Wrote to IRCC:

Dear Minister Fraser,

I write to express my concerns about the delay in dispatching citizenship certificates to applicants who have completed virtual citizenship oath ceremonies across the domestic offices in Canada.

The expected timeline stated in the oath instruction letter is 2-4 weeks after oath taking. However, there are more and more people having to wait anxiously for longer, especially from the Calgary region. Some even waited for months, having to contact MPs, being stressed out before they got the paper that they are entitled to receive right after becoming citizens.

Back then when citizenship ceremonies were hosted in-person at IRCC local offices, people would receive their certificates right after taking the oath. Within 24 hours, they were able to apply for a Canadian passport and have access to freedom of travel available to all Canadian citizens. Now after the ceremony has moved into virtual format, the wait time plus postal delay is much longer. New citizens are required to cut their PR cards at the event, yet until the physical certificate is in hand, they are not provided with any means to travel outside of Canada if an urgent travel warrants. This adds another layer of stress after an awfully long delay for citizenship processing due to COVID. On the legal side, I wonder if limiting the freedom of travel of citizens substantially due to your department’s administrative delay, is unconstitutional.

So here is my suggestion:

1. Please work with your local offices to make sure certificates are prepared in advance, and can be mailed out right after the Oath ceremonies without delay. There is no reason it has to be processed in 2-4 weeks when people have already become citizens. Some offices may be understaffed due to the pandemic restrictions but this is a task that cannot be avoided

2. Please explore options to digitize citizenship certificates, meaning to send the confirmation of citizenship by email and people should be able to apply for a passport with that confirmation or a digital proof of their citizenship. Passport Canada is a federal program managed by IRCC and I do not see why the two systems cannot communicate to each other. I do not understand why passport applications MUST come with the original citizenship certificate. There are ways for you to check and you certainly do not rely on a piece of paper to confirm one’s citizenship. So why bother with paper, which adds more stress for new citizens and workload for your staff?

I hope you can take some time to review my suggestion and see if changes can be made right away. As reported many times by the media (CBC, The Star, etc), the citizenship processing has been heavily impacted by the pandemic over the past two years - many have been suffering from the long wait already. The last step in this process should be the easiest part for your staff, and also an opportunity to make new citizens be assured their journey with IRCC is over in a smooth way.

Very best regards,

This is brilliant!! We should all make a copy of this and send it to all our MPs as well as the minister of immigration.

They can't ignore all of us!

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received my certificate today

Oath : 12th March
File Closed: :- 14th March
Certificate Received :- 21st March

Good Luck
Had my oath on the 12th still waiting on certificate. Where did you have your oath or what office? Did you ask for urgent?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Oath : March 17th
File Closed: : March 22 (Urgent request)

Office: Winnipeg

nawalasansol

May 29, 2017
Had my oath on the 12th still waiting on certificate. Where did you have your oath or what office? Did you ask for urgent?
Office was Scarborough. I did not ask for an urgent process. It's the normal one. I feel your file is closed. You will receive it soon.