+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

OsamaR

Mar 24, 2011
Hi experts,

I have a questions and if it has been answered anywhere else please direct me to that answer..

What is the difference between these 2 questions:

1) When did you become a PR (landed immigrants) of Canada?
2) When did you first come to live in Canada?

I know the first one is the date found on the landing documents or the back of the PR card, but in my case, I landed in JANUARY 2014 and stayed for 20 days only, and then came back to Canada in AUGUST 2014 to live permanently.

so how would I answer the second question? is it January 2014 or August 2014 ?

Thanks

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi experts,

I have a questions and if it has been answered anywhere else please direct me to that answer..

What is the difference between these 2 questions:

1) When did you become a PR (landed immigrants) of Canada?
2) When did you first come to live in Canada?

I know the first one is the date found on the landing documents or the back of the PR card, but in my case, I landed in JANUARY 2014 and stayed for 20 days only, and then came back to Canada in AUGUST 2014 to live permanently.

so how would I answer the second question? is it January 2014 or August 2014 ?

Thanks
I think the 2nd question is for people who came to Canada before getting PR, like on work permits, study permits etc. I think you would put your landing date as when you came to live in Canada. Also mention your months worth of absence on the residence calculator.

Example: I came to Canada to study in 2007, got PR in 2014. Answer to 1st question will be 2014, 2nd will be 2007.

OsamaR

Mar 24, 2011
I think the 2nd question is for people who came to Canada before getting PR, like on work permits, study permits etc. I think you would put your landing date as when you came to live in Canada. Also mention your months worth of absence on the residence calculator.

Example: I came to Canada to study in 2007, got PR in 2014. Answer to 1st question will be 2014, 2nd will be 2007.

awesome :) that make sense.. thanks buddy :)

Monmon24

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
I have a question
I married overseas and my marriage was only 5 weeks and after 2 weeks later she filed for annulment and I continued in it
She claims that I have health problems and I sent medical reports to her false accusations
I think she has a personality disorder .. we are in the process of annulment which means cancelling the marriage just no results yet ..
I didnt make any papers for her to come and no mention anywhere that I married here
what should I say married or single ?
thanks everyone

Monmon24

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
Q:
I traveled to my home country over the 183 so I am bringing a PC from there and traveled to the US for 2 days only should I bring PC from US as well?

immigrant024

Jul 17, 2014
Hi All,
Will you please respond to Monaa's second question blow:

Hi all,
In section 6J in form CIT0002 :
1. What is "the most recent 9-digit number you used to file your income taxes" ? Is it same as my SIN?
2. what does "required to file" mean? I filed all my taxes but I am not sure if I was required to file or not. How can I find it out?
Thanks ....

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
Just one more day to wait, guys. We are almost there.
I wish everybody Good Luck with your applications!!! ;-)

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
Hello Eveyone I have a question, do we need to get a notary stamp on the following photocopies
- passport
- confirmation of PR
- Driver Licence
- Diploma/degree from Canada
- Heath Card

Please advise. Thanks and Good Luck to everyone.

doesnt say that anywhere in the instructions. it just says copies. you guys are making this more complicated haha

immigrant024

Jul 17, 2014
Hi all,

In section 6J in form CIT0002

what does "required to file" mean? I filed all my taxes but I am not sure if I was required to file or not. How can I find it out?

Thank you

OsamaR

Mar 24, 2011
Hi all,

In section 6J in form CIT0002

what does "required to file" mean? I filed all my taxes but I am not sure if I was required to file or not. How can I find it out?

Thank you
I had the same question in mind till I read the current Instruction Guide where it says under Question 6J:

"To determine if you were required, under the Income Tax Act, to file income taxes, refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Newcomers to Canada (immigrants)."

My understanding from this statement is that if you are required to file it then you mark it as yes otherwise mark it as no.

Any other thoughts ?

immigrant024

Jul 17, 2014
Thanks for your reply.
but the question is that how can we find out if we were required to file, or we just filed it because we wanted to?

I completely reviewed the link they addressed to but did not get the answer to the question.

I had the same question in mind till I read the current Instruction Guide where it says under Question 6J:

"To determine if you were required, under the Income Tax Act, to file income taxes, refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Newcomers to Canada (immigrants)."

My understanding from this statement is that if you are required to file it then you mark it as yes otherwise mark it as no.

Any other thoughts ?

OsamaR

Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
but the question is that how can we find out if we were required to file, or we just filed it because we wanted to?

I completely reviewed the link they addressed to but did not get the answer to the question.
oh I see.. I honestly don't know because I have filed my taxes every year.. check with an accountant

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
hello to you all, I really need some clarification. any help will be appreciated.

I came to Canada 2011 and became a PR in 2015. since I came here my passport expired in 2015 and I never renewed it.

I am applying for citizenship on Oct 12th and wondering if having an expired passport will create an issue for me.

Last edited:

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
We are all required to fill the taxes in here. Unless for students ( Pre Pr). Once you get a PR and a SIN you must.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks for your reply.

Try this list right here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

Don't overthink this. Since you filed, the box "required to file" is not that big of a deal. You did file, so you are good.