+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi Guys,

How specific should be the absence reason in Physical Presence Calculator?

For example: Should I mention 'Visited a relative in New York City as a tourist' or just 'Vacation in New York City'?
'Visited a relative in New York City as a tourist'

arax30th

Nov 26, 2012
I flagpoled too, and am going to mention it on my application .. because
Thanks razerblade! So I'll list it as a date outside Canada and add an explanation in the cover letter. Worst case scenario, they'll say you haven't technically left Canada :D which is harmless

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone,

This might be a silly question! I was a student in Canada when I got my PR and so I landed by so called "Flag-Poling", i.e. driving to a US border, getting a rejection letter from US officer, and turning back to Canada to land. When entering dates in the online residency calculator, is the flag-polling date considered as being outside Canada? I have 1.5 years buffer on top of the 3 years.

Thanks!
1. No, as you didn't enter the US, you were refused admission.

babak3215

Oct 9, 2017
Dear members, hope you’re doing well!

Just have a question about required documents, considering this sentence:

“Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled) for the six (6) year period immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent.

Also, provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel document(s). “

I gonna send my application on Oct. 12. I landed on February 2014 and after this date till present held only one passport (the same that I entered with) that is still valid and will be expired on April 2018.

I’m wondering if I’m required to send the photocopy of my previous passport?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi

1. No, as you didn't enter the US, you were refused admission.
Passport has a stamp from US on the day of flagpole. When IO will be going through the passport during interview, he will cross check stamps with online calculator. I think it's best to put it in. No harm in doing so, it doesn't even count as an absence. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Cantonese

Feb 3, 2017
I have a question about transfer flight in US. I had one trip to Hong Kong and was transited in US (also for return trip), and I got 2 US stamps on my passport, but I didn't go outside of the airport, I stayed in the airport for the whole layover time. So for the presence Calculator, should I also mention I was transit in US, to explain the stamps on my passport.

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
Dear members, hope you’re doing well!

Just have a question about required documents, considering this sentence:

“Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled) for the six (6) year period immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent.

Also, provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel document(s). “

I gonna send my application on Oct. 12. I landed on February 2014 and after this date till present held only one passport (the same that I entered with) that is still valid and will be expired on April 2018.

I’m wondering if I’m required to send the photocopy of my previous passport?
Most likely, according to the new rules, you'll have to send passports covering last 5 years (since it's 3/5). How I understand, this includes showing copies of old passport(s), if it (they) expired less than 5 years ago. If you don't have these docs in your possession any longer, you have to provide an explanation (which is not a big deal). Plus, if there is a gap between two passports, you'll have to explain it as well. Please, pay attention to the Instructions Guide!

Ekaterinburga

Oct 9, 2017
Hello everyone, I have one question: there it is required to specify all addresses.....now I can not remember at what address I lived about 3 weeks in Italy, during my trip. It was before I decided to go to Canada for the first time (in 2012) Can I write in the questionnaire "I forgot the exact address" ?
Thankful in advance for the answer (if I expressed my question not clear enough please ask clarifying question.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Hello everyone, I have one question: there it is required to specify all addresses.....now I can not remember at what address I lived about 3 weeks in Italy, during my trip. It was before I decided to go to Canada for the first time (in 2012) Can I write in the questionnaire "I forgot the exact address" ?
Thankful in advance for the answer (if I expressed my question not clear enough please ask clarifying question.

I dont think you need to mention addresses of foreign trips as a tourist.

babak3215

Oct 9, 2017
Most likely, according to the new rules, you'll have to send passports covering last 5 years (since it's 3/5). How I understand, this includes showing copies of old passport(s), if it (they) expired less than 5 years ago. If you don't have these docs in your possession any longer, you have to provide an explanation (which is not a big deal). Plus, if there is a gap between two passports, you'll have to explain it as well. Please, pay attention to the Instructions Guide!
Thank you for your response.
Actually they said:

" ...the six (6) year period immediately (that will become 5 years in new rules) before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent. "

In fact, the date that I became PR is more recent than 5 years ago, as I became PR on February 2014. So based on my understanding of this sentence, the copy of previous passport(s) is not required if applicant became PR less than 5 years ago and during this period did not change his/her passport.

Thank you in advance, to share your opinion with us!

Reactions: Varangian

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Thank you for your response.
Actually they said:

" ...the six (6) year period immediately (that will become 5 years in new rules) before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent. "

In fact, the date that I became PR is more recent than 5 years ago, as I became PR on February 2014. So based on my understanding of this sentence, the copy of previous passport(s) is not required if applicant became PR less than 5 years ago and during this period did not change his/her passport.

Thank you in advance, to share your opinion with us!
Since they are giving credit for pre-pr time, they may want to see the passport before becoming PR as well.

babak3215

Oct 9, 2017
Since they are giving credit for pre-pr time, they may want to see the passport before becoming PR as well.
I beleive for those who their landing date (or first come to Canada) is same as becoming PR, photocopy of previous passport would not be required if they still hold the same passport used for entrance.

any idea ?

Last edited:

arax30th

Nov 26, 2012
Passport has a stamp from US on the day of flagpole. When IO will be going through the passport during interview, he will cross check stamps with online calculator. I think it's best to put it in. No harm in doing so, it doesn't even count as an absence. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The thing is they didn't put any stamps on my passport. I have two solutions: listing the date and adding explanation in the cover letter, or not listing the date and adding explanation in the cover letter. Is there any difference?