+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Hi all,
In section 6J in form CIT0002 :
1. What is "the most recent 9-digit number you used to file your income taxes" ? Is it same as my SIN?
2. what does "required to file" mean? I filed all my taxes but I am not sure if I was required to file or not. How can I find it out?
Thanks ....
For Income tax CRA's number is SIN number

Reactions: Monaa121

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
I did not undergo any name change! It's my THIRD first name. They shorten it in some documents it seems.
My first name of the COPR is "Marcel David Alan"
My first name on my PR card is "Marcel David A"
My first name on my last Belgian passport is just "Marcel David A."
Use same as in COPR thats what is registered with CIC

Reactions: MarceauBletard

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Hi All,

I have been commuting to work in the US daily for the past 1 year and it is counted as 0 day absence on Physical presence calculator for each same day return and also for each "next day" return to Canada. Now my question is, will I be required to get the Police Certificates from US while applying for Citizenship? Can someone please let me know.
The day you leave is not counted and is not presence in Canada unless return same day. If return next day one day absence is counted. Pl check again.

sivabalan

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013
Each day you are partially in the US counts as 1 day in the US for Police Certificates.

So you will need to get one. (Assuming 5 days a week * 45 weeks = 225 days.)
Thanks for the reply. Even I thought the same Vicky, but I am thinking to ask the officer at POE this time or I will request and go into the office and enquire it when I return back this week and I will update the info on this forum.

sivabalan

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013
The day you leave is not counted and is not presence in Canada unless return same day. If return next day one day absence is counted. Pl check again.
Thanks for the reply Sukhi. I will also ask the officer at POE this time or will request to go in to the office and enquire it when I return back this week and I will update the info on this forum.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Btw is your SIN number considered as a valid ID? I'd imagine so but just double checking.
According to the current guide, SIN is NOT a valid ID.

Two (2) pieces of personal identification
Both pieces of identification should show your name and date of birth, one of which must have your photo on it.

Examples include:

• a Canadian driver’s licence
  • a Canadian health insurance card
  • a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document, etc.
If there is information on both sides of your personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

Note: Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards, bank cards and credit cards are not acceptable pieces of identification.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I did not undergo any name change! It's my THIRD first name. They shorten it in some documents it seems.
My first name of the COPR is "Marcel David Alan"
My first name on my PR card is "Marcel David A"
My first name on my last Belgian passport is just "Marcel David A."

Write your last name (surname/family name) and given name(s) exactly as they appear on your immigration document. If your name was shortened (truncated) on the immigration document, it will appear in full length on your citizenship certificate, up to 50 characters for the family name(s) and 50 characters for the given name(s). Immigration documents include your:

• Record of landing (IMM 1000),
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688),
  • Permanent resident card (PR card).

Reactions: MarceauBletard

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Hi friends, I am currently living Canada since June 2012 and got my PR since Feb 2014. I have fulfilled my residency obligations required for Citizenship per the Bill c6 rule and waiting for the rule to be implemented in fall to formally submit my application. Currently I am considering an employment abroad through secondment but need to make sure of the following before I make a decision:
1) I know that my stay outside Canada from now until my application date won't be counted towards my physical residency days even though I continue my payroll with Canadian company. Since I already fulfilled my residency obligation, once the law gets into effect, can I apply for our citizenship from Abroa using an authorized representative
2) if point 1 is possible, will this way of submission make my application as non-routine?
3) is it mandatory to keep my payroll with a candian company?
4) in case of any delay in getting citizenship, can I renew my PR from abroad either using an authorized representative or a friends address just to mail out the application?

Your valuable comments will help me to make an important career decision. Thanks in advance
If Canadian multinational company and your appointment is from Canada then no issue otherwise this is very risky.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Many thanks to @CANADIANZ @razerblade @sukhi7 @Varangian @screech339 and anyone else who took the time to respond to my question! If you come down to MTL, let me know, I owe each of you a drink!
I now know that I have to put my full name as per the COPR. I have a HUGE weight off of my shoulders!
Thanks again guys! Really appreciated! :):D

Last edited:
Reactions: Varangian

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
IP: Oct. 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
I know this likely has been asked before, but wondering if anyone can give a swift yes or no, or link to a thread with particulars:

Once the Oct. 11 C-6 Bill becomes law, will the days spent as a VISITOR prior to PR count as a half day for the citizenship total?

I ask only because I'd accrue nearly the max limit of a year, which would be wonderful. I didn't know if a visitor approval counted under temporary residence.

Thanks in advance!

Nawazt

Oct 8, 2017
Dear Senior Members....i have a general question regarding tax returns in bill c6. If I was out of Canada and stayed in some other country (neither home country nor Canada) and filled Tax Returns of Canada with no income and lateron I complete 3 out of 5 years and file taxes according to income. Will the authority ask to pay taxes for the income when I was NOR?

tunpi

Jan 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Mar-2010
Med's Request
22-Sep-2010
Med's Done....
09-Oct-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-Nov-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
04-Aug-2011
Dear Senior Members....i have a general question regarding tax returns in bill c6. If I was out of Canada and stayed in some other country (neither home country nor Canada) and filled Tax Returns of Canada with no income and lateron I complete 3 out of 5 years and file taxes according to income. Will the authority ask to pay taxes for the income when I was NOR?
Did you mention your world income when submitted your tax return earlier? If so, it's more of a question to the CRA whether you need to adjust anything. You said that you submitted tax return later after final settlement here. If you have not received any notice on your previous returns from CRA, then I think you are fine. CIC will only make sure whether you submitted required number of tax returns as per citizenship application.

Richard11

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi every one , like everybody else im gona apply citizenship on Oct 11, my question is do i have to bring job letter from my employer to send with my application forms?