+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

BillC6Lover

Oct 4, 2017
Hi Varangian,

On the following page ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp) , you can read the following:

Time you have lived in Canada
Regardless of your age, you must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least:

• 1,460 days during the six years right before the date you sign your application

When the new forms are available on Oct 11, you can only apply on October 11 if you accumulated 1095 days as of October 10.
I see your point. But the CIC website and the application form clearly say that you should be eligible for citizenship the day before you sign the application. They do not just say you should have accumulated enough days the day before you sign the form. And technically those benefiting from C6 are NOT eligible for citizenship the day before October 11, simply because the bill is not in force on October 10.

Last edited:

uma057

Oct 5, 2017
If you apply before moving you must receive the AOR - receipt of your application at your address in application. Canada post also diverts for 3 months at a charge to new address. Getting AOR in your hand is most important , thereafter you can change address. Make sure you have completed period in the province you applied in you PR application. It may be an issue.
Thanks

cnd_grl

Dec 6, 2014
Hi, I have a question regarding "Proof of Language Requirements". I completed my post graduation in Seneca College. Would an official transcript from the college be enough as Language Proof?

arax30th

Nov 26, 2012
I see your point. But the CIC website and the application form clearly say that you should be eligible for citizenship the day before you sign the application. They do not just say you should have accumulated enough days the day before you sign the form. And technically those benefiting from C6 are NOT eligible for citizenship the day before October 11, simply because the bill is not in force on October 10.
This is also my issue since it is not clear whether you should be eligible on the day before based on C6, or you should be eligible on the day before based on whatever rule was in place on the day before (C24 in this case). I don't think such a case (applying on the day after a new rule is implemented) has been thought of when drafting this requirement, but we need to somehow confirm it with the CIC as it completely depends on their interpretation.

BillC6Lover

Oct 4, 2017
I agree, I
This is also my issue since it is not clear whether you should be eligible on the day before based on C6, or you should be eligible on the day before based on whatever rule was in place on the day before (C24 in this case). I don't think such a case (applying on the day after a new rule is implemented) has been thought of when drafting this requirement, but we need to somehow confirm it with the CIC as it completely depends on their interpretation.
I agree, I do not think they have thought about that. But it must be very hard to get a hold of CIC staff at this time, so I am clueless.

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
Hi, I have a question regarding "Proof of Language Requirements". I completed my post graduation in Seneca College. Would an official transcript from the college be enough as Language Proof?
What happened with the Diploma/ Certificate? The best would be to make a copy of that.

arax30th

Nov 26, 2012
I agree, I

I agree, I do not think they have thought about that. But it must be very hard to get a hold of CIC staff at this time, so I am clueless.
Yes, but I also saw in the other topics that people have called and they have responded, so it shouldn't be impossible...

arax30th

Nov 26, 2012
Have you seen any discussion about this point? Can you share it here?
Not about this topic, but I've seen people calling CIC regarding other C-6 topics and getting answer so I assume they are still reachable :D I'll definitely share here if I get any info. My hope is that more senior members of the forum can also advice.

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
I do have my Certificate. Would a copy of that do? Thank you!
If you look at the Instruction Guide Language proof section, that's exactly how they put it.

• A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad. Definitely a copy of it.

cnd_grl

Dec 6, 2014
If you look at the Instruction Guide Language proof section, that's exactly how they put it.

• A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad. Definitely a copy of it.
Thanks for clarifying that. I saw some posts saying that it must be mentioned on the certificate that the course was taken in English. That's why I got confused.

mreda13

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
The best way to confirm this is to wait until the new residence calculator is out on Oct 11 and whoever has doubts can check it and confirm if they are eligible under the new law.

Pedrito

Apr 11, 2014
I just want to know if I submit an high school diploma from a French speaking country as proof of language test, would they accept it? and would they accept it even if I don't live in Quebec?
thanks

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
I just want to know if I submit an high school diploma from a French speaking country as proof of language test, would they accept it? and would they accept it even if I don't live in Quebec?
thanks
Hi @Pedrito,

As per CIC Website:
Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
  • A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
  • A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.

As per Canadian System: High School ((in French): école secondaire, literally Secondary school is completion of the following classes.
  • Grade 7/Secondary 1; 12-13
  • Grade 8/Secondary 2; 13-14
  • Grade 9/Secondary 3; 14-15
  • Grade 10/Secondary 4; 15-16
  • Grade 11/Secondary 5; 16-17
Your situation is tricky as you have completed high school in other country, and if its equivalent to above école secondaire then yes, it can be submitted, as per my opinion. But I would advise to please call CIC to find out exact.

Last edited: