Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
For the stamps that need translation even if they are dated before yoir landing date? Or just the ones from your landing date onwards??
Nobody can tell you precisely right now until they renew the application. In the current one you have to show it for the last 6 years (even got before the landing date). I assume, it will be 5 years on Oct 11.

Reactions: Dimahq

vriz

Oct 4, 2017
Hey Guys,
Here is a little background on my situation.
I became PR in Canada in feb 2013. Traveled a lot to US, then ,moved to US in Dec 2015 for a year and a half then came back to Canada in July 2017 and have applied to renew my PR card as my current PR expires in march 2018.

Under the new Bill C6, I am planing to apply for citizenship in end of January 2018. Below are my questions

1. Due to spending time in the US ( about a year and a half from Dec 2015 to July 2017) i have applied for a police check which should come in end of October 2017. I am planning to apply end of January 2018. is this police check recent enough?

2. I understand i need to provide 3 tax returns from the last 5 years. I have tax returns from year 2013 and 2014. I have submitted my taxes for 2015 and 2016 but CRA is still assessing it. Do i have to wait on the CRA to send me a return or can i apply given the fact that it is with the government and that i have submitted my income tax for assessment.

3. If i don't receive a renewed PR card by January 2018, can i still apply for citizenship in Jan 2018 or do I have to have the renewed PR card before i apply.

4. Can I travel out of Canada after i apply and come back when i am called for test?

Thanks in advance

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hey Guys,
Here is a little background on my situation.
I became PR in Canada in feb 2013. Traveled a lot to US, then ,moved to US in Dec 2015 for a year and a half then came back to Canada in July 2017 and have applied to renew my PR card as my current PR expires in march 2018.

Under the new Bill C6, I am planing to apply for citizenship in end of January 2018. Below are my questions

1. Due to spending time in the US ( about a year and a half from Dec 2015 to July 2017) i have applied for a police check which should come in end of October 2017. I am planning to apply end of January 2018. is this police check recent enough?

2. I understand i need to provide 3 tax returns from the last 5 years. I have tax returns from year 2013 and 2014. I have submitted my taxes for 2015 and 2016 but CRA is still assessing it. Do i have to wait on the CRA to send me a return or can i apply given the fact that it is with the government and that i have submitted my income tax for assessment.

3. If i don't receive a renewed PR card by January 2018, can i still apply for citizenship in Jan 2018 or do I have to have the renewed PR card before i apply.

4. Can I travel out of Canada after i apply and come back when i am called for test?

Thanks in advance
Attempt at answering your questions. Bear in mind, no one here is an expert.

1. I think police certificates are generally valid for a year, so if you get one end of October, and apply for citizenship in Jan .. it should be fine.
2. I would wait till it shows "assessed" on your CRA account for 2015 taxes before applying.
3. You need to submit a copy of your PR card with your application. Not sure if an expired PR card will cause issues. I wouldn't want to risk it.
4. Yes, you can travel after application - a couple of my friends did, and successfully became citizens

Last edited:

pavlomar

Jan 10, 2013
Nobody can tell you precisely right now until they renew the application. In the current one you have to show it for the last 6 years (even got before the landing date). I assume, it will be 5 years on Oct 11.
I am not sure why you guys worry about stamps in your passports? In the Instruction Guide, it clearly says: "Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and canceled) for the six (6) year period immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent." Then it goes further to describe what "biographical pages" mean: "The biographical page means the page that has your name, photo, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date."
There is nothing about providing stamps in your passport on the CIC website. Unless I am missing something here, and if I am then please correct me.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Do you have to be physically present in Canada for 3 years to get citizenship ?
Yes

Applicants must be physically present in Canada for three out of five years before applying for citizenship.

Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum credit of 365 days.

Applicants must file Canadian income taxes, if required to do so under the Income Tax Act, for three out of five years

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
I am not sure why you guys worry about stamps in your passports? In the Instruction Guide, it clearly says: "Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and canceled) for the six (6) year period immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent." Then it goes further to describe what "biographical pages" mean: "The biographical page means the page that has your name, photo, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date."
There is nothing about providing stamps in your passport on the CIC website. Unless I am missing something here, and if I am then please correct me.
That is correct. Only provide photocopy of biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents. Take original passports (and other docs) during your test/interview, IRCC officer will see the stamps and match it to your on-line calculator. In my experience, the officer was going through my stamps and tick marking the relevant visits in online calculator.

pavlomar

Jan 10, 2013
That is correct. Only provide photocopy of biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents. Take original passports (and other docs) during your test/interview, IRCC officer will see the stamps and match it to your on-line calculator. In my experience, the officer was going through my stamps and tick marking the relevant visits in online calculator.
Okay, thank you for sharing your experience. In my case, some of the required stamps in my passport are missing. Looks like officers forgot to put a stamp in my passport when I was crossing a border. But it is not my fault, so I think I should be good.

jctimo22

Oct 4, 2017
Hey Guys,

I paid the application fee today and just realized the forms are going to change. Can I still use the same proof of payment for my application or should I pay it again on October 11th and request to refund this payment later?

Thanks

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Hey Guys,

I paid the application fee today and just realized the forms are going to change. Can I still use the same proof of payment for my application or should I pay it again on October 11th and request to refund this payment later?

Thanks
You do not need to pay again, you can use same payment receipt.

Pedrito

Apr 11, 2014
Hey guys
I just want to know if I submit an high school diploma from a French speaking country as proof of language test, would they accept it? and would they accept it even if I don't live in Quebec?
thanks

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
Just a small remark to that!!! If travel documents are not in English or French, you have to provide a relevant translation which includes translation of all the official stamps.
But that's not what I was talking about... the most important thing is that we all have to show them our travel docs covering the past 6 years (most likely will be for 5 years since Oct. 11). That was the main point in my comment!
Plus... if there is a Gap in between (let's say the old passport expired and an applicant got a new one a couple of months later), he has to provide an explanation... overwise, as the official guide says, the application will be returned back!

canvin123

Mar 7, 2013
Hi All,

We landed in Canada on a PR in MARCH 2014. Since then we traveled only to USA for 10 days only. We completed our 3yrs as per the new rule.

Do we need a police clearance certificate, if so from when?

Thanks
Canvin

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014