+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0520 after citizenship test

Smile_Canada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eeeeeeeelectric said:
this won't help me as I frequently use my Nexus card to cross the border for day trips, nothing a boarding pass is even involved with, though it would be nice were it that simple. I go sometimes multiple times a week, to get mail and even for a time for a little casual work I did. I even have a couple of bills left there. But I didn't put down day trips, only the 2 overnights. Is that what you're talking about?
Hey eeeeeeeelectric, i have same case as you, i travel frequently using Nexus. and didn't put my day trips in Residence calculator. Now i have been given CIT0520 and asked to submit i-94 report. But i have ordered FOIA too for just in case.

But how was ur test, did they asked u to submit it too. What u think how will it affect my timeline to get citizenship.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Smile_Canada said:
Hey eeeeeeeelectric, i have same case as you, i travel frequently using Nexus. and didn't put my day trips in Residence calculator. Now i have been given CIT0520 and asked to submit i-94 report. But i have ordered FOIA too for just in case.

But how was ur test, did they asked u to submit it too. What u think how will it affect my timeline to get citizenship.
it definitely takes us off the short track routine road. No way we are routine applicants now. It really sucks because I've so strongly worked toward paying taxes each year, being a clear Canadian resident, and moving my life at huge expense for a seasoned professional up here when I have so many more lucrative opportunities and higher pay in the U.S. (A mer 17 km away). I love it here, my life with my spouse, and the thought of being only American forever is NOT what I want at all. I feel Canadian, but three days that won't affect my total qualified days in Canada seem so pickiunish to me. But, nothing comes without patience. I have to respect that the interviewer said once she can compare my US records to my residence calculator that I'm done and ready for oath invite.

My test was fine. I aced it. I enjoyed learning and putting together so many pieces of Canadian history against what we are taught in the USA.

I can't say much as we know. We aren't supposed to reveal what happens there.

e.chad

Jan 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eeeeeeeelectric said:
this won't help me as I frequently use my Nexus card to cross the border for day trips, nothing a boarding pass is even involved with, though it would be nice were it that simple. I go sometimes multiple times a week, to get mail and even for a time for a little casual work I did. I even have a couple of bills left there. But I didn't put down day trips, only the 2 overnights. Is that what you're talking about?
Your case is almost same as mine(US Passport), i had 2 day trips (went to pickup guests, which were not required to be mentioned) and other 2 trips for few weeks, i had test day before yesterday, Office said"i(she) always stay more than 30 days whenever i visit USA, why i(Me) just took short trips?" to me it's really funny, my wife is Canadian Citizen, i have a well settled business here,,what else...but anyways i feel she just wanted to issue 0520 even tho i had all proofs with me(she refused to look)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
e.chad said:
Your case [referring to eeeeeeeelectric is almost same as mine(US Passport), i had 2 day trips (went to pickup guests, which were not required to be mentioned) and other 2 trips for few weeks, i had test day before yesterday, Office said"i(she) always stay more than 30 days whenever i visit USA, why i(Me) just took short trips?" to me it's really funny, my wife is Canadian Citizen, i have a well settled business here,,what else...but anyways i feel she just wanted to issue 0520 even tho i had all proofs with me(she refused to look)
Your case is different than eeeeeeeelectric's case in some significant respects, but ironically the number of reported trips and day trips is perhaps a salient factor, if not key factor, behind CIC's concerns leading to the issuance of a CIT 0520 . . . just for opposite reasons (so few versus so many trips).

It is worth noting, albeit it should be apparent in the discussion above in this topic, that the CIT 0520 request rather than CIT 0171 (the dreaded RQ) is probably a good sign . . . a sign that CIC's focus is still on verifying information submitted by the applicant, particularly as to residency, rather than designating the application a residency case (which a post-test, full blown RQ, would signal that CIC has done). While it is not certain, these days this difference appears to be a big one, that RQ is what is issued when CIC has overt doubts or even suspicions. Otherwise, the CIT 0520 is more or less an exercise in due diligence by CIC, a more or less quality control screening process. (Obviously, in some cases, what is submitted in response to the CIT 0520 may lead to further, more serious concerns, and thus to a full blown RQ; but the reason for issuing the CIT 0520 is usually so that CIC can review some specific information which will resolve any concerns; and as has been reported often, in many cases the oath is scheduled in a relatively decent timeline following the submission of the responsive documents.)

In any event, again, your situation, e.chad, is different in an important respect. See

eeeeeeeelectric said:
. . . as I frequently use my Nexus card to cross the border for day trips, nothing a boarding pass is even involved with, though it would be nice were it that simple. I go sometimes multiple times a week, to get mail and even for a time for a little casual work I did. I even have a couple of bills left there. But I didn't put down day trips, only the 2 overnights. Is that what you're talking about?
The difference is a remarkably few number of trips versus someone who not only frequently crossed the border, but whose trips across the border indicate substantial ongoing ties in the U.S.

For eeeeeeeelectric, the frequency of trips probably suggests, to the total stranger, substantial ongoing ties in the U.S. . . . and of course even just casual work in the U.S. does indeed signal ongoing ties in the U.S. CIC's interest in verification in this scenario seems more likely than not.

For you, e.chad, obviously I do not know and cannot know what really triggered CIC's concern, but in contrast you appear to be saying that in more than three years time you only went to the U.S. a total of four times (two day trips, two trips for few weeks at a time). A total stranger might very well wonder why someone who has a U.S. passport, obviously some long term connection to the U.S., would only visit the U.S. four times in three years. (This is assuming you did not overlook some other trip(s) and the CBSA travel history reflects a different number of returns to Canada.) If you live somewhere like Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Whitehorse, Timmins, or Val-d'Or (as in a long trip to the U.S. border), so few trips might make sense . . . otherwise, a stranger would be inclined to verify.

Verification of the number and duration of trips, as best as one can, is probably a lot, lot easier for you, e.chad . . . but as many have observed, obtaining a U.S. report of entries into the U.S. (if this is what your CIT 0520 request specifies) can take an inordinate amount of time. (My own took nearly a year, but that was two years ago and my sense of most reports this year is that the U.S. has made the process both more accessible and faster . . . I applied for the U.S. records before I applied for citizenship, anticipating RQ for some personal reasons, and received the report months after becoming a citizen, not having gotten RQ and becoming a citizen in barely eight months after sending off the application.)

In any event, be sure to submit a timely response to the CIT 0520. If you do not have precisely what is requested, submit what you can which is as complete and responsive to the request or requests, including alternative documents if necessary, together with an explanation as to why you cannot provide the documents requested and that you have made a request for those documents. Depending on what was requested and what you do not have, perhaps some additional alternative documentation supporting your case, even if that documentation is not directly responsive to what CIC asks for. I do not recall if you have reported what documents you were requested to submit, but if you have your own business in Canada, perhaps some documents related to the operation of your business would help (if that is not what is otherwise requested already).

e.chad

Jan 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you dpenabill for the detailed answer, I was out for 37 days in total 4 years, my wife family is always visiting us ;) so we don't had/have a need
to travel to US (We save for inland trips) to see them. I had all the docs at the time of interview, but officer said she wants to verify this only(not seem concerned)
i applied for FOIA and online status says it should be here in 20 days(not sure if they really mean it after reading posts of FOIA timeline) I am hoping for the best, I will still gather all OHIP & invoices for backup.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Ok my FOIA records are done! Loads of pages. Oh goodness. 147 in total. Do I print them all off and send them in?

EdmontonM

Star Member
Mar 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC contacted my landlord to verify my residency. The officer was concerned whether my tenancy letter was genuine.

DLN

Nov 25, 2014
SCsquare said:
Got an update. Checked CIC online status and found "Decision Made". Called cic they said no oath date finalized yet.

my timeline as follows

Application Sent : March, 2014
Citizenship test: September, 2014
CIT 0520: Sep, 2014.
Decision Made on ECAS: July, 2015

No Oath date finalized yet.

Hi
Did you get oath date yet?

Thanks

EdmontonM

Star Member
Mar 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eCas Changed to Decision Made as of this morning. One step closer to being a proud Canadian - I hope so!

Rayan14

Aug 14, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am looking for a lawyer to initiate 'writ of mandamus' now. Any one knows a good legal expert/lawyer? Thanks.

anish_s

Jan 20, 2010
Hello Good folks!

Afer getting the CIT-0520 in July 2015, seems things have moved for me although not sure if its good or bad :)
I recd. a letter yesterday for a CJ hearing on the 15th of October.

Below is my timeline:
Applied - Nov 2012
Was RQ'ed around Sept 2013
Citizenship test and interview on February 2014
Received 2 additional mini-RQ's i.e. CIT-0520 requesting tax returns, bank/credit card statements and docs to prove that I was residing in Canada

I personally have no clue what the hearing is going to be all about so, If any advice from someone who has gone through similar pains will be much appreciated.
They have requested originals of Personal Id's, PR Card, Passport and any other document that was submitted with the original application.

Can anyone help me understand, what documentation should I be taking with me? Along with the obvious one's mentioned above...

Also, what questions can I expect to be probed on by the Hon. CJ? I understand that it will depend on the individual, but if anyone has any views please share with me.
Thanks in advance!

Either ways this long journey seems to be coming to an end. Hopefully it will be positive :)

Regards!

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
EdmontonM said:
eCas Changed to Decision Made as of this morning. One step closer to being a proud Canadian - I hope so!
Congrats

ItkExpert

Sep 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anish_s said:
Hello Good folks!

Afer getting the CIT-0520 in July 2015, seems things have moved for me although not sure if its good or bad :)

Below is my timeline:
Applied - Nov 2012
Received 2 additional mini-RQ's i.e. CIT-0520 requesting tax returns, bank/credit card statements and docs to prove that I was residing in Canada

I personally have no clue what the hearing is going to be all about so, If any advice from someone who has gone through similar pains will be much appreciated.
They have requested originals of Personal Id's, PR Card, Passport and any other document that was submitted with the original application.

Can anyone help me understand, what documentation should I be taking with me? Along with the obvious one's mentioned above...

Also, what questions can I expect to be probed on by the Hon. CJ? I understand that it will depend on the individual, but if anyone has any views please share with me.
Thanks in advance!

Either ways this long journey seems to be coming to an end. Hopefully it will be positive :)

Regards!
I think that if you are summoned to a citizenship judge these days it means that CIC objects granting citizenship . Meaning that CIC has concerns which it could not address from the documentation you provided and has provided with the judge with a negative reference with regards to your case. In the hearing you will have a chance to counter CIC claims and convince the judge the your did meet all the obligations (in contrary to what CIC is saying which is that you did not). So its better to come prepared and perhaps consider hiring a lawyer to represent you.
Ask dpendbill as he has extensive knowledge in this area.
Best of luck !

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
anish_s said:
Hello Good folks!

Below is my timeline:
Applied - Nov 2012

Thanks in advance!

Regards!
The burden of proving qualification for citizenship is on you. At this stage it is almost certain that a CIC Citizenship Officer has prepared a referral (using the FPAT) which highlights, or possibly even affirmatively argues, reasons to deny your application. That said, the multiple CIT 0520 requests would seem to indicate that it was not necessarily leaning that way, that CIC had reason to consider granting citizenship without a referral to a Citizenship Judge.

Are you sure the hearing is scheduled with a Citizenship Judge rather than a Citizenship Officer? I am not doubting that it is scheduled with a CJ, but CIC has not been forthcoming with how it is proceeding with Residency Cases and reports from individuals engaged in the process are an important source of information for the forum.

If you are indeed scheduled for a hearing with a CJ, you really should have obtained the assistance of a lawyer by now. Probably too late to arrange this. But given your burden of proof and the probable negative recommendations in the referral, the advice and representation of a lawyer at the hearing could make a big difference.

As for what you need in particular, that is dependent on the particular facts of your case. Anything and everything that will tend to prove dates of travel, date you first established a residence in Canada, where you were actually living for the full relevant time period, where you were working, what else you were doing, any and all activities you engaged in while in Canada including specific dates and locations. Letter or statements from employers, neighbours, family, and friends, very specific statements stating who they are, how they know you, and specific facts they personally know. Avoid general statements. A few specific dates have more weight than general statements covering broad periods of time. Better to patch together a narrative of specific dates and activities from multiple people than a general statement from one or two.

If you cannot obtain a lawyer in time (and you probably cannot), you can have a family member accompany you. Anyone is better than no one. You want someone else there so it is not just you versus the CJ scenario, someone else who, if need be, can give an account about what happens in the hearing. If the CJ is resistant to your being accompanied, just be emphatic you need moral support and someone to help you understand the questions (regardless of your language ability), not to represent you (if not a lawyer or authorized consultant) or answer questions for you, but to help you understand things.

If you are a shortfall case, less than 1095 days of actual physical presence, that makes it more difficult. For a shortfall case it is absolutely critical that you affirmatively establish the date you began living in Canada, and to otherwise review information about the qualitative tests for residency so that you can specifically address all those factors in the hearing.

Absolutely remain calm and polite. You can insist on submitting information and documentation. If you need to persist against resistance to this, still remain polite and calm. Be sure to have multiple copies of things so that you can show originals, leave copies with the CJ (again, insist on these being put into the record, but do so politely), and have a copy for your records (always keep a complete copy of everything submitted to CIC, and maintain originals separately).