+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0520 after citizenship test

kmilo26

Jan 5, 2015
Hi there i got this CIT 0520 Form,after i passed my test with 20 of 20,perfect! (On Nov 2014).And have been a crazy procces cause in 2012 they sent me the RQ (that ask basically for same thing,proof of residence) and now this ,i cried a lot when i recived this 0520 in the mail, i though it was the invitation for the oath,but nottt i opened it and CIC want more proof of my residence in this beautiful country,sad cause i have been a good citizen,since i leave my country(8 years ago) I never went back avoiding this kind of issues (without result) i know people who have been out of Canada for a long time,also they arrive in Canada long after me and they are already Canadian Citizens.( not jelous just unfair)
I have been in 3 Islands each for a period of 7 days,so 21 days out of Canada only.I already sent all the documents request on Dec 18 but cristhmas and all this holidays make everything slow so not answer yet but please let me know if you received this.How long tooks to get an answer back? Everything you can let me know would be appreciated.
Thanks
:mad: this is not the RQ (CIT 171)

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
kmilo26 said:
Hi there i got this CIT 0520 Form,after i passed my test with 20 of 20,perfect! (On Nov 2014).And have been a crazy procces cause in 2012 they sent me the RQ (that ask basically for same thing,proof of residence) and now this ,i cried a lot when i recived this 0520 in the mail, i though it was the invitation for the oath,but nottt i opened it and CIC want more proof of my residence in this beautiful country,sad cause i have been a good citizen,since i leave my country(8 years ago) I never went back avoiding this kind of issues (without result) i know people who have been out of Canada for a long time,also they arrive in Canada long after me and they are already Canadian Citizens.( not jelous just unfair)
I have been in 3 Islands each for a period of 7 days,so 21 days out of Canada only.I already sent all the documents request on Dec 18 but cristhmas and all this holidays make everything slow so not answer yet but please let me know if you received this.How long tooks to get an answer back? Everything you can let me know would be appreciated.
Thanks
:mad: this is not the RQ (CIT 171)
I personally haven't received any RQ yet however as per other member's information in this forum, it can take anywhere from 3 months to a year. Usually RQ processing is now fast as compared to previous years

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear about this kmilo,
The benefit of CIT 520 is that they tell you specifically what documents they want, unlike the RQ which is overwhelmingly broad (in my experience).

CIT 520 indicates that they've looked at your case in detail. This is good. Your file has been on someone's desk, rather than sitting in storage. Hopefully it is still on their desk.

If you can provide the documents they have requested, or very good alternative documents that address the similar issues, your citizenship will probably be processed relatively quickly.

Good luck.

Reactions: k300k3

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi eileenf,
I just like to say, I always feel there is a hope when you comment in this forum , thank you

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree, I dont think you will be waiting much longer. In fact I think you will be invited to oath within 2-4 weeks after they receive what they asked for.

montrealer69

Oct 20, 2014
CanV said:
I agree, I dont think you will be waiting much longer. In fact I think you will be invited to oath within 2-4 weeks after they receive what they asked for.
I sent them the documents they asked. It has been 4 months
still nothing

djoli

Oct 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When did you send the documents? it has been 4 months since you sent them and sitill have not heard back from them? I am in the same situation but for me it has only been two weeks.

montrealer69 said:
I sent them the documents they asked. It has been 4 months
still nothing

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
Sorry to hear about this kmilo,
The benefit of CIT 520 is that they tell you specifically what documents they want, unlike the RQ which is overwhelmingly broad (in my experience).

CIT 520 indicates that they've looked at your case in detail. This is good. Your file has been on someone's desk, rather than sitting in storage. Hopefully it is still on their desk.

If you can provide the documents they have requested, or very good alternative documents that address the similar issues, your citizenship will probably be processed relatively quickly.

Good luck.
Unfortunately files that got CIT 520 are also sitting collecting dust on a shelf somewhere (see the Edmonton thread where I posted details from my conversation with a citizenship officer). Yes, someone looked at your case in some detail, usually at the interview after the test. Once CIT 520 is given to you, the file goes back in the pile and no one looks at it again until God know when.

At the Edmonton local office at least, CIT 520 files are reviewed by file number order: it doesn't matter when you were given/replied to the form, but rather when you had originally applied for citizenship.

Reactions: Sa3Sa3

djoli

Oct 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This does not make any sense. Are you telling me that CIT 520 is treated the same way as the orginal RQ? They cannot do that as the CIT 520 is usually assigned to an officer in charge. In my case I received a letter from an officer requesting specific documents. I do not intend to be patient as my application has been in process for 40 months now. It should not take CIC more than a day to review CIT 520 and I think we should really try to do something about especially knowing that new applications take 6 to 7 months to complete. This is utterly unfair.

bambino said:
Unfortunately files that got CIT 520 are also sitting collecting dust on a shelf somewhere (see the Edmonton thread where I posted details from my conversation with a citizenship officer). Yes, someone looked at your case in some detail, usually at the interview after the test. Once CIT 520 is given to you, the file goes back in the pile and no one looks at it again until God know when.

At the Edmonton local office at least, CIT 520 files are reviewed by file number order: it doesn't matter when you were given/replied to the form, but rather when you had originally applied for citizenship.

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It certainly appears that CIT 520 is treated in a manner similar to RQs. I only have information specific to Edmonton, but have to assume that there is some consistency in this regard across all local offices. I submitted the response to my CIT 520 in the beginning of October. Another forum member from Edmonton did so in August. There has been no progress whatsoever in either of our files.

As I wrote in the Edmonton thread, there is dedicated staff that's working on both RQ and CIT 520 files (they are in two separate queues). There had been only 1 or 2 such people in Edmonton as late as this past fall, but that number was recently increased quite significantly. To me this says that the person who decided a request for additional documents was warranted is not necessarily the person who will review and make a decision with respect to your response to CIT 520.

It may well be true that it should take only a day to review but 1) who knows what steps and checklists they have to complete in the process*; and 2) who knows when will the officer will actually get to your file. In your case the good news , if you can call it that, is that you are probably one of the oldest applicants in the system, and therefore somewhere in the front of the queue.

* The citizenship officer with whom I spoke bemoaned the constant changes in rules (I think they said 15) over the past year, and particularly a recent cumbersome and confusing flow-chart officers have to follow when reviewing applications.

djoli

Oct 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We really to keep the pressure on CIC to clear these old files. I am hoping that my file will be reviewed very soon. Over the summer I was contemplating withdrawing my application and re-submit a new application, I guess I should have done that because I would have had my citizenship by now. Let us hope that the start moving this applications as soon as possible to make sure that people are given their hard earned citizenship.

bambino said:
It certainly appears that CIT 520 is treated in a manner similar to RQs. I only have information specific to Edmonton, but have to assume that there is some consistency in this regard across all local offices. I submitted the response to my CIT 520 in the beginning of October. Another forum member from Edmonton did so in August. There has been no progress whatsoever in either of our files.

As I wrote in the Edmonton thread, there is dedicated staff that's working on both RQ and CIT 520 files (they are in two separate queues). There had been only 1 or 2 such people in Edmonton as late as this past fall, but that number was recently increased quite significantly. To me this says that the person who decided a request for additional documents was warranted is not necessarily the person who will review and make a decision with respect to your response to CIT 520.

It may well be true that it should take only a day to review but 1) who knows what steps and checklists they have to complete in the process*; and 2) who knows when will the officer will actually get to your file. In your case the good news , if you can call it that, is that you are probably one of the oldest applicants in the system, and therefore somewhere in the front of the queue.

* The citizenship officer with whom I spoke bemoaned the constant changes in rules (I think they said 15) over the past year, and particularly a recent cumbersome and confusing flow-chart officers have to follow when reviewing applications.

canada lover

Jan 20, 2015
Folks I have the same situation I recived form 520 last September and the requested doc was sent next day so far nothing although during the interview I has provided the officer with the same doc they requested 9 months after my interview! I applied in August 2013!!! Any advise please what should I expect a reply

bashaclick

Sep 10, 2011
To Canada-lover,

you sent all requriemnt for cit 0520 on next day after you did the test ?

you didn't get any update ? as i know should be within 60 days,
check this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/decision/roles.asp

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bashaclick said:
To Canada-lover,

you sent all requriemnt for cit 0520 on next day after you did the test ?

you didn't get any update ? as i know should be within 60 days,
check this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/decision/roles.asp
That's only for after a hearing.

Reactions: Fallen_Warrior

canada lover

Jan 20, 2015
Hello again.

I did my test last Jan 2014 and I did receive the 520 form last September next day I sent the requested doc and so far nothing.
Btw I did submit the requested doc during the interview but it was requested again in September!!!

Never left the country started working after I landed in Canada in 2 months at the same company full time job!!! How should I feel?!!