+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0520 after citizenship test

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Got a reply from my local MP saying that a decision will be made before March 21, 2016 as I am a March applicant. Long story short CIT 0520 is not non routine. Its routine process according to my MP who was informed by CIC Edmonton.

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
andrew7007 said:
Got a reply from my local MP saying that a decision will be made before March 21, 2016 as I am a March applicant. Long story short CIT 0520 is not non routine. Its routine process according to my MP who was informed by CIC Edmonton.
Thanks Andrew for the update, hopefully he's right about the CIT 0520 been a routine process, if so according to the CIC candidate applied before April 1, 2015 they should have DM by March 31, 2016 or before. fingers crossed.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For clarification:

andrew7007 said:
Oft times there is a tendency to use terms in different ways. "Routine" and "non-routine" often are used with different meanings.

Most casual use of "routine" or "non-routine" is in reference to what is typical and not unusual in a process. I am certain the MP meant that CIT 0520 is not non-routine in this sense. (Otherwise the MP is mistaken; but it is far more likely that the MP was merely repeating something he or she was told by a member of staff, and the member of staff was using it in that sense.) In short: so many citizenship applicants are issued CIT 0520 requests that this process is, in this sense, routine.

In contrast, most of the processing timeline discussion in forums like this refers to "routine" and "non-routine" in the very specific sense as it has been used by CIC/IRCC in posting information about how long processing applications take. In this sense, the CIT 0520 specifically renders the citizenship application non-routine.

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5
This is the current explanation of what is "a non-routine citizenship application?"

The one which applies to the CIT 0520 is this:

"An application is considered non-routine if any one of the following has occurred:

-- you are asked to provide a residence questionnaire, documents proving residence in Canada, fingerprints, or any other additional documents;"

The CIT 0520 is a request to provide documents proving residence in Canada . . . or, at the very least, a request to provide "any other additional documents."

So what that the application is non-routine?

This is where there is typically the greatest amount of confusion, and oft times mis-information.

This distinction, between routine citizenship applications and non-routine applications, has no real significance beyond what specifically makes it non-routine . . . except for how CIC/IRCC categorizes processing times.

Thus, for purposes of the posted timelines, CIC lumps all non-routine applications into one group, and currently says that the processing time is "up to 36 months."

To be clear, one can say that the timeline for an application is up to 36 months even if for the particular application it is more likely to be processed in less than year.

Note, for example, a request for fingerprints makes the application non-routine.

So does receiving the full blown residence questionnaire for an applicant about whom CIC has security prohibitions concerns.

The actual timeline for the latter applicant probably is longer than 36 months. For the applicant whose only so-called non-routine circumstances is a fingerprint request, the timeline may be no more than a few weeks or months longer than the routine timeline.

What about the CIT 0520 in particular?

The main thing about getting the CIT 0520 is that it is NOT CIT 0171, which is to say and emphasize that it is NOT a full blown RQ. RQ means a significantly longer timeline. In contrast, there are many reports by applicants who incurred minimal delays due to being issued a CIT 0520 request.

That said, some CIT 0520 requests will be due to more complex issues or more serious concerns than others, so among those issued the CIT 0520 there will a great deal of variability in terms of what is ultimately involved and how long it will take. In a sense, some CIT 0520 requests are more routine than other CIT 0520 requests (using "routine" in its more generic usage sense).

Jaroddz said:
Thanks Andrew for the update, hopefully he's right about the CIT 0520 been a routine process, if so according to the CIC candidate applied before April 1, 2015 they should have DM by March 31, 2016 or before. fingers crossed.
No. This is a mis-interpretation of what the CIC posted processing times means.

All the posted processing time information means is what the web site it says it means:

Processing times tell you how long it took Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to process applications in the past after receiving a complete application package. Processing times can vary, depending on how many applications CIC receives.

The website also states:

If I apply today, do the processing times show how long it will take to process my application?

No. The processing times only show the time it took to approve or refuse 80 percent of applications during some time in the past. Processing times in the future may be different. We show processing times to give you a general idea of how long a process takes.

And let's be frank: these explanations gloss over the extent to which the posted processing times are not at all informative.

That is, the processing times are at best, a general idea about how long it takes.

There should be NO expectation that a routine application will result in a Decision Made by any particular date.

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill thanks for your exhaustive explanation. I am an optimist and hence I will believe what my MP said. Fingers crossed.
dpenabill said:
For clarification:

Oft times there is a tendency to use terms in different ways. "Routine" and "non-routine" often are used with different meanings.

Most casual use of "routine" or "non-routine" is in reference to what is typical and not unusual in a process. I am certain the MP meant that CIT 0520 is not non-routine in this sense. (Otherwise the MP is mistaken; but it is far more likely that the MP was merely repeating something he or she was told by a member of staff, and the member of staff was using it in that sense.) In short: so many citizenship applicants are issued CIT 0520 requests that this process is, in this sense, routine.

In contrast, most of the processing timeline discussion in forums like this refers to "routine" and "non-routine" in the very specific sense as it has been used by CIC/IRCC in posting information about how long processing applications take. In this sense, the CIT 0520 specifically renders the citizenship application non-routine.

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5
This is the current explanation of what is "a non-routine citizenship application?"

The one which applies to the CIT 0520 is this:

"An application is considered non-routine if any one of the following has occurred:

-- you are asked to provide a residence questionnaire, documents proving residence in Canada, fingerprints, or any other additional documents;"

The CIT 0520 is a request to provide documents proving residence in Canada . . . or, at the very least, a request to provide "any other additional documents."

So what that the application is non-routine?

This is where there is typically the greatest amount of confusion, and oft times mis-information.

This distinction, between routine citizenship applications and non-routine applications, has no real significance beyond what specifically makes it non-routine . . . except for how CIC/IRCC categorizes processing times.

Thus, for purposes of the posted timelines, CIC lumps all non-routine applications into one group, and currently says that the processing time is "up to 36 months."

To be clear, one can say that the timeline for an application is up to 36 months even if for the particular application it is more likely to be processed in less than year.

Note, for example, a request for fingerprints makes the application non-routine.

So does receiving the full blown residence questionnaire for an applicant about whom CIC has security prohibitions concerns.

The actual timeline for the latter applicant probably is longer than 36 months. For the applicant whose only so-called non-routine circumstances is a fingerprint request, the timeline may be no more than a few weeks or months longer than the routine timeline.

What about the CIT 0520 in particular?

The main thing about getting the CIT 0520 is that it is NOT CIT 0171, which is to say and emphasize that it is NOT a full blown RQ. RQ means a significantly longer timeline. In contrast, there are many reports by applicants who incurred minimal delays due to being issued a CIT 0520 request.

That said, some CIT 0520 requests will be due to more complex issues or more serious concerns than others, so among those issued the CIT 0520 there will a great deal of variability in terms of what is ultimately involved and how long it will take. In a sense, some CIT 0520 requests are more routine than other CIT 0520 requests (using "routine" in its more generic usage sense).

No. This is a mis-interpretation of what the CIC posted processing times means.

All the posted processing time information means is what the web site it says it means:

Processing times tell you how long it took Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to process applications in the past after receiving a complete application package. Processing times can vary, depending on how many applications CIC receives.

The website also states:

If I apply today, do the processing times show how long it will take to process my application?

No. The processing times only show the time it took to approve or refuse 80 percent of applications during some time in the past. Processing times in the future may be different. We show processing times to give you a general idea of how long a process takes.

And let's be frank: these explanations gloss over the extent to which the posted processing times are not at all informative.

That is, the processing times are at best, a general idea about how long it takes.

There should be NO expectation that a routine application will result in a Decision Made by any particular date.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
andrew7007 said:
dpenabill thanks for your exhaustive explanation. I am an optimist and hence I will believe what my MP said. Fingers crossed.
To be clear, I was not contradicting what your MP said. I was clarifying what was meant when the MP said that the CIT 0520 request is part of the routine processing of an application. It is, that is in the sense that it is a common, normal part of citizenship application processing.

Hence nothing to worry much about. Hence not something which alone will cause a long delay in processing.

But neither does it indicate any prospective date by which a decision will be made.

Otherwise, getting CIT 0520 makes the application non-routine relative to what CIC posts online about processing timelines. Which really does not matter. That is virtually meaningless, non-information. It is at the least basically uninformative. Many non-routine applications are processed in less than a year (I sat next to someone at my oath whose non-routine application, due to a move while the application was pending, took only six months, compared to it taking eight months for my routine application). Many routine applications take more than a year.

The main point is that the information currently posted at the website regarding processing times for citizenship applications is basically useless. (It is more helpful for applications like those to obtain a replacement PR card or to obtain an extension for visitor status, for which variations in processing times are far less and expectations can be reasonably tied to the date that IRCC is currently processing applications for.)

Edmoney

Jan 26, 2016
Patiently waiting...-was planned a trip to home country to see mom in the summer holidays that seems up in the air !

Hope-Judge

Feb 22, 2016
Hi everyone, here is my timeline and process:
Responsible Office: Saskatoon
Application rec. March 12, 2015
Acknowl. March 26, 2015
Process starting August 8, 2015
Test January 20, 2016
Cit 520 requested January 26, 2016
Cit 520 request sent back February 13+17, 2016
DM ?
OATH?

Wish and hope soon we will get some results.

Hope-Judge

Feb 22, 2016
Hi guys, only try to understand why; on the OP manuals and Decision Makers section Citizenship Grant. They seperated two date: Before June 11, 2015 and On - After. In details of requirements they said before June 11, 2015 applications do not need tax returns, 1460 days, or intend to reside etc. Example my application March 12, 2015. Why officer still want to see tax returns, reside intent such as bills, rental agreement etc. Which work or job task they r working..

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
andrew7007 said:
Nice to know, at last you are getting closer to the destination.

Wish you all the best. Stay positive.....its just matter of a month now. ;D

CCanadaa

Jan 27, 2016
Hope-Judge said:
Hi guys, only try to understand why; on the OP manuals and Decision Makers section Citizenship Grant. They seperated two date: Before June 11, 2015 and On - After. In details of requirements they said before June 11, 2015 applications do not need tax returns, 1460 days, or intend to reside etc. Example my application March 12, 2015. Why officer still want to see tax returns, reside intent such as bills, rental agreement etc. Which work or job task they r working..
In past they were asking for your tax assessments in order to make sure that you have lived in Canada, but after amendment of the citizenship act, filing tax return is a requirement of becoming citizen.