+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child tax benefit outside of Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
21,957
1,281
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Singh27 said:
hello friends ,

Need help from every one here.

Last year mid (2015) i got my PR and did a short landing. While in canada we did all our landing formalities and even applied for child benefit ,as we were planing to come back by this year beginning (2016). But due to unforeseen issues we couldn't come back and are planning to return to canada by 2016 year end.

the question i have for people in this forum is that

1. I want to stop our child benefit as we are not eligible for it, so how do we inform them
2. how do we return the money they have deposited in our till now.

any help and guidance from fellow settlers will be highly appreciated.

regards,
singh
You should not have applied in the first place as you were not settling. One of the eligibility requirements is that you reside in Canada with your child. If you are doing a short landing and leaving again, you are not residing in Canada with your child, even though you may or may not plan to settle shortly. You should not apply until you are fully settled in Canada.

Here are some ways to contact CRA: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/menu-eng.html
 

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
21,957
1,281
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iwannago said:
Hi! We are permanent immigrants landing end of may this year. I am just curious, i have 3 kids aged 12, 9 and 6. I just want to hve an idea if we can claim child benefits after a month from landing? More or less, how much per month can we expect to receive? Thank you
Ok, just to clear up, you are actually settling right after your landing and not just landing and leaving again with the idea of coming back later like the last poster.. because if you are not settling, you are not eligible and applying for these benefits could be seen as fraudulent.

So if you are settling, you can use this calculator: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/benefits-calculator/ to calculate your benefits. CCTB should be around $122 per child but starts to get cut if you make more than $44,000 per year. The UCCB would be another up to $60 per month per child for children from 6 to 17. As you have not filed taxes in Canada before, they will use your past years overseas income to calculate your benefits for now.
 

niklayteritalashme

Full Member
Jun 6, 2016
35
1
Hi Fellows,

i along my wife and son landed in march 2016, my wife and son went back to home country - we didnot apply for uccb- since april i paying taxes as i got job- So now need clarity can i claim previous month uccb amount when my family come back ( planing to come in sep 2016)

Thanks in anticipation
 

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
21,957
1,281
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
niklayteritalashme said:
Hi Fellows,

i along my wife and son landed in march 2016, my wife and son went back to home country - we didnot apply for uccb- since april i paying taxes as i got job- So now need clarity can i claim previous month uccb amount when my family come back ( planing to come in sep 2016)

Thanks in anticipation
You can only start claiming as soon as your children return to Canada. You are not eligible for CCTB or UCCB for time that your children were not yet living in Canada.
 

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
96
0
Hi all,

Our child was born on October 17, 2014 in Uganda and in March 2015, he received his citizenship certificate and passport.
We (family) are currently living in Uganda.
Is our child eligible to receive the Canadian Child Care Benefit as well as the Ontario Child Care Benefit?
 

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
3,183
185
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2014
skwan said:
Hi all,

Our child was born on October 17, 2014 in Uganda and in March 2015, he received his citizenship certificate and passport.
We (family) are currently living in Uganda.
Is our child eligible to receive the Canadian Child Care Benefit as well as the Ontario Child Care Benefit?
no. assuming you do not pay/file canadian taxes (meaning you are not a resident for tax purposes), you are not eligible to receive these benefits. if you can prove residency for tax purposes, then you may qualify for the federal benefits, though they will require you to submit proof of your eligibility. you also would not be able to receive provincial benefits if you are not current residents of that province. ontario in particular is very strict about their residency requirements.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4114/t4114-e.html#eligible
Are you eligible?

To get the CCB, you must meet all of the following conditions:

You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
You must be the person primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.

Note
If a child does not live with you all the time, see Do you share custody of a child?

You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes. We consider you to be a resident of Canada when you establish sufficient residential ties in Canada. For more information, see Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual's Residence Status.
You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:
a Canadian citizen;
a permanent resident (as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act);
a protected person (as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act); or
a temporary resident (as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act) who has lived in Canada throughout the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month other than one that states "does not confer status" or "does not confer temporary resident status." If this is your situation, do not apply before the 19th month.
an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act.
 

prace72

Newbie
Aug 6, 2016
8
0
i have the following question: I am Canadian citizen so are my children. I lived and worked in Canada until june 2016. I sold my house and moved out of the country and before i moved I called CRA and told them i am moving out with my children.
I have paid my taxes for 2015 and i am planing to fill my tax declaration for 2016 (i worked from january till june) and file it in 2017 . I am still receiving child tax benefit even if i am in foreign country. Am I entitle for the money?
Is this because the money i received now is for the tax i paid in 2015?
Thank you
 

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
1,675
258
prace72 said:
i have the following question: I am Canadian citizen so are my children. I lived and worked in Canada until june 2016. I sold my house and moved out of the country and before i moved I called CRA and told them i am moving out with my children.
I have paid my taxes for 2015 and i am planing to fill my tax declaration for 2016 (i worked from january till june) and file it in 2017 . I am still receiving child tax benefit even if i am in foreign country. Am I entitle for the money?
Is this because the money i received now is for the tax i paid in 2015?
Thank you
No, you are not entitled to receive any money from the date you leave Canada. you should call the CRA and ask them to stop, or else you may be asked to return all the money and face penalties on top.
 

prace72

Newbie
Aug 6, 2016
8
0
So, didn't CRA know that I am not in canada anymore? Why are they still paying me and do I have to really fill tax declaration next year even I I don't live in canada anymore?
 

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
24,894
1,690
Hi


prace72 said:
So, didn't CRA know that I am not in canada anymore? Why are they still paying me and do I have to really fill tax declaration next year even I I don't live in canada anymore?
1. No, because you didn't tell them that you left.
 

prace72

Newbie
Aug 6, 2016
8
0
I filled a form online to stop my MSP premium because I lived in BC. Aren't those two agencies connected? I mean the Agency which pay the Child tax benefit and the MSP premium?
Sorry for the too many questions. Thank you in advance.
 

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
21,957
1,281
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, the two are not connected. MSP is BC provincial health care and CRA is Canada Revenue Agency. CRA will probably believe you are in Canada until they find out otherwise or you tell them otherwise. You would be well advised to tell them when you moved and ask them to stop payments. You are obligated to file tax returns until you ask and they agree that you can be considered a non-resident for tax purposes.
 

Shaani

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
64
0
We just received a letter /questionnaire from CRA to establish the custody of children and our detail of visits to Canada?

The letter states that we have been selected for a review? Can anyone please share the reason possible why have we been selected for a review.

Thanks in advance.
 

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
1,675
258
Shaani said:
We just received a letter /questionnaire from CRA to establish the custody of children and our detail of visits to Canada?

The letter states that we have been selected for a review? Can anyone please share the reason possible why have we been selected for a review.

Thanks in advance.
It's difficult to say without any details When did you move to Canada? When did you start receiving benefits? Were your children here with you the entire time? Did you declare your income prior to arriving in Canada when completing the CCTB forms?
 

maya_india

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
62
0
i would like to ask some doubts.
1, i am planning to go for vacation for one year from outside canada, should i inform CRA regarding my vacation.
2, if i dont inform is there any serious problem
3, do i still i get my CCTB for that period , am the primary responsible for the kids and both kids are staying with me.
4, my spouse filed my TAX for the period of 2014 and 2015, even though am not employed
5, what are other things which i should worried about
kindly reply from all experts or who had any similar situations