+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Keeesha

Sep 10, 2016
hi
If child born to Canadian citizen father, the child is a girl and is 13 years old living with mother who is not a Canadian citizen and lives outside of Canada, how long would that application take for father to file for her? what is require for father to file for child? Would she need a Canadian passport?

Awaiting your reply. Please.
@Leon

Thank you for your reply.
Keesha

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Keeesha said:
hi
If child born to Canadian citizen father, the child is a girl and is 13 years old living with mother who is not a Canadian citizen and lives outside of Canada, how long would that application take for father to file for her? what is require for father to file for child? Would she need a Canadian passport?
@Leon

Thank you for your reply.
Keesha
If the father was already a citizen when she was born, he can apply for her citizenship certificate, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp According to the CIC website, the processing time is around 5 months. Once you have the citizenship certificate, you can apply for her Canadian passport. She will need it if she wants to travel to Canada.

Keeesha

Sep 10, 2016
ok, when she was born he was not a citizen as yet, he is a citizen 10 years now. what would he need to file for her?

would he still be able to apply for her citizenship certificate and passport.

awaiting response.

[Keesha]

Keeesha

Sep 10, 2016
Keeesha said:
ok, when she was born he was not a citizen as yet, he is a citizen 10 years now. what would he need to file for her?

awaiting response.

[Keesha]
@Leon

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Keeesha said:

awaiting response.

[Keesha]
No - he can't. He has to sponsor her for PR first.

Keeesha

Sep 10, 2016
No he cannot file for her?

What is PR?
How does he start sponsoring her PR? How long would that take?
What is required to do so?

Awaiting response

Keesha

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Keeesha said:
No he cannot file for her?

What is PR?
How does he start sponsoring her PR?

Awaiting response

Keesha
PR = permanent residency

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

Keeesha

Sep 10, 2016
Ok thanks Leon, after completing that form, how long would it take for her to get pr?

How long after completing application would it take for her to get PR?

awaiting your response Leon.

Keesha
@Leon

asif89

Dec 15, 2015
I want to apply for a temporary passport for my 2month old daughter from Bangladesh. Can some one please help me with the link for the application form.
What documents would I need for applying since I don't have my daughters citizenship application. Please some more one help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
asif89 said:
I want to apply for a temporary passport for my 2month old daughter from Bangladesh. Can some one please help me with the link for the application form.
What documents would I need for applying since I don't have my daughters citizenship application. Please some more one help.
You cannot apply for a passport before applying for proof of citizenship. You can submit the 2 applications concurrently.

asif89

Dec 15, 2015
I have applied for proof of citizenship for my 2month old daughter. How will I apply for my daughters Canadian passport. I am a naturalized Canadian citizen. Currently I'm living in Bangladesh please help.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
asif89 said:
I have applied for proof of citizenship for my 2month old daughter. How will I apply for my daughters Canadian passport. I am a naturalized Canadian citizen. Currently I'm living in Bangladesh please help.
You simply submit a child passport application and explain that you have submitted proof of canadian citizenship application already. You will get a limited 2 year passport. It is best to explain that you have urgent travels for the child. Otherwise, they may advise you to wait until you get certificate before applying for a regular child passport.

asif89

Dec 15, 2015
@screech339 thanks for the reply. I contacted the high commission in Dhaka regarding my daughters passport. They asked for a proof of citizenship. I have already applied for a proof of citizenship and have not heard back from them yet. It's been almost 2 months.
The question I have is in the application form they ask for citizenship certificate of the child what would I put there if I don't have the document?
Would an explanation of my situation and informing them about the proof of citizenship application be enough?
Really appreciate if someone can help me. Thanks.

Keeesha

Sep 10, 2016
thanks Leon,

Questions:

1. after completing that form, how long would it take for her to get pr?

2. How long after completing application would it take for her to get PR?

awaiting your response Leon.

Anlo29

Sep 12, 2016
Hey all! I am a newbie here and this is a hot topic. I need to tag onto this to ask for clarification on my case!

My parents immigrated to Canada back in the 70s and became Canadian citizens. However I was born outside Canada for convenience factor so that my Mom's family can help her care for me when born. When I was a month old, I came to Canada and lived there for my first 24 years of life before leaving to work abroad. Now I have two daughters born outside Canada and would like to know if they are eligible Canadian citizens?

I would argue that by birth I was granted Canadian citizenship which would define me as first generation but I also moved and lived there after being born which makes me think I earned it which would allow the Canadian citizenship to be passed down to first generation that is for my two daughters.

Any thoughts? Thank you for any clarifications!