+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CHC Seminar Highlights: Important information regarding student visa application

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Friends,

Canadian High Commission in New Delhi conducted a seminar and QA session for students who wish to apply for a study visa (SPP and General ) on 12 April 2011. The presenters were the two visa officer who process student visa in CHC New Delhi and they answer a lot of question by students and their parents during the session.

I found the visa officers very humane and helpful even during that short contact period. I'm not sure why people had been cursing them on this and other forums.

I'm providing highlights of the information shared and summary of the discussions that happened in the seminar for benefit of my fellow brother and sisters in this forum:

Presentation by Visa Officers

The presentation was short, simple, and easy to understand and was divided into four sections:
  • Visa Officer Assessment
  • Application Submission
  • Tips
  • On Agents

Visa Officer Assessment

This was the most important section. They explained what they look for in a student visa application for acceptance, and what things force them to reject application. The most common sentence I heard during the complete seminar was "submit <an application, document, or proofs> that makes common sense".

They told us that they start assessing the application with a belief that the candidate is a genuine student, and that S/He has sufficient funds for his/her study. And then they validate this belief by the documents that we provide along with the application.

They also gave us several other important tips and information which I will try to put in this list as summary points. If you need clarification, more information about any one of these then please add ur note in this thread and I will try to answer.

• Submit ONLY required number of documents. No more and no less. If they need more information, they will ask.
The reason they gave was very interesting. They said that they have to validate/assess every single paper coming in the application. So if an application has 20 papers, it will be submitted four times longer than an application that had required 5 papers attached {20 and 5 is just an indicative, not any real number}.

They said that the processing time of SPP and General applications is same (they {CHC} have not made SPP processing any faster). However, since SPP application contains lesser number of documents, they take less time in processing those and the result is that SPP application gets cleared faster compared to general application which had more required number of documents.

• Submit all required information and make sure the information is correct(such as DOB of your parents etc in the family info form).
They say that they use and verify every single row of the information you provide in the form.

• Never submit any false information or forged documents.

It may lead you to a Canada Visa ban (for all types of visa) for next 2 years. Also, even after 2 years it will be in system and every time a visa officer will see your application, he will see an alarm.

They told us that they have internal fraud detecting teams in place who keeps on checking for fraudsters. They also said that mistake is one thing and fraud is another. They also gave example of common frauds like inventing a job for fake experience. They say that it is OK not to have a job or a gap period but please do not invent a job just for fake experience. They verify every information and this may lead to a ban if you are found out cheating with the system.

• They told us that you can add a small note or a 1 pager to explain any inconsistency in your document and it helps them to assess , say a gap year or anything you want them to know but they don't want a 10 page book explaining everything in your application that makes sense. {@Nazia, does it answers your question}

• They say that they review the past studies and the current course for a possible match.

However, it is NOT that they will not allow a visa if the course do not match. If the course is not matching then they simply investigate it a bit more than usual. They said that they have issues visa to genuine students whose prior course was not matching with the enrolled one but they keep their guard up for any abuse of the visa system by immigrants.

• If you are an experienced candidate, and had done any kind of job, submit proof such as offer letter or past 6 month payslip etc along with your application. It helps them to assess.

• For SPP, they want a 80% loan sanction letter along with application. If you submit a loan less than that, they will still process the application but as a general application.

• For General applicants, it is strongly recommended to have a loan sanction letter along with application (may be 80%).

They said that they are not financial expert so they rely more on banks to assess financial health of a candidate. They also consider other source of income such as FD, bank statement, IT returns etc but bank loan is preferred.

• If you are showing bank statement, try to show them past 4 months statement, and do not show them multiple accounts. Also, IT returns can be shown along with it as well, especially if the course is a longer one.

• IELTS is strongly preferred as English Language Proficiency proof. They said there are a number of reasons for which they do not consider TOEFL and recommend IELTS for any visa application. For SPP, 6.0 is required.

Also, they said that even if your course does not required IELTS/TOEFL scores, they still recommend to have IELTS scores in your application.

Some people raised question that they had given SAT or GRE or GMAT etc and TOEFL. Do they need to give IELTS as well? The answer was No. They said if you have given higher exams (like GRE, GMAT, etc), and are admitted to a reputed university/college, they do not need IELTS then.

But for other cases, yes IELTS is a must.

I've tried to list out the important highlights. There are lots of other things that I would like to share as well. However, since this post if getting extremely long (and my fingers are numb), I will post some more useful information in the same thread later. Please keep a tab on this thread for some more useful information.

I hope this information will be of some use to you. Thanks for taking time to read it.

Regards,
GS

cooldude10

Star Member
Apr 6, 2011
thanks GS, honestly was waiting for u to post ur experience.

As they said, spp and general processing time is same, have they mentioned any specific min. n max. time..
As am waiting from last 1month under general category.

Secondly, they have said, don't show multiple accounts, what who has shown multiple accounts?

Did they say anything regarding too much communication gap btw applicant and VO, infact no replies to email. I know patience is required, but if they can simply reply with "Your application will take so and so many more days", i dont think , anyone will disturb them unnecessarily.

piratesparade

Star Member
Apr 9, 2011
Stud do not mind but this all seems like a child bribe, whats productive in it = candy + chocolates, nothing new : blah blah

Sab479

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Our experince is quite different from what has been explained in the seminar.Perhaps we are living on a different planet.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Cooldude: The didn't mentioned anytime frame except that the deadline for SPP for Sep 2011 intake is Aug 15. Many people (especially in business families) maintain several account in name of mother, sister etc to save taxes. Then they submit all bank statements instead of one since the funds are disbursed in several accounts.

@ Pirates: I don't mind. We live in a world of free speech. If this info helps then please use it. If it doesn't then please discard it.

Information has different value for different people. Personally speaking, for me the seminar was very useful since I'm not planning to use any consultant. I can't speak the same for everybody else.

@ Sab: I can understand. Not all that glitters is gold. I'm just sharing what they told us in the seminar (the official statements).

-GS

kiratray

Star Member
Mar 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-7-11
IELTS Request
Med's Request
premed
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Passport with CHC
VISA ISSUED...
yet to be issued
Thanks ...Its really useful information for people like me who have yet to apply for study visa.
Few of my doubts are cleared.

Could you please answer my following questions to make me doubt free :
1) As I am going for a course which has tution fee of $33000 and I am getting a Loan of $33000.
My Dad's account have money around $14000.I am currently earning around $550 per month.
What all I can show in my financial proofs?
2) One of my Dad's friend is ready to sponsor me and he is having $22000 as fixed deposits.Can I
use this as financial proof if I ll give a strong reason for me bring sponsored by him?
3) We have property under my Dad's name and its worth $65000.Will it be a good option to show
it in financial proofs.

If you can provide me few suggestions on what all we can show as financial proofs I ll be thankful to you.

Regards
Kirat

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Pirates: I didn't mind that at all. I'm sure you will agree that there are things more important for our consideration than this.

Let me tell you a real story. When I was a small kid, I used to learn Taekwando (a Korean marshal art). Once I casually asked my teacher the best way to win a fight. He smiled, and told me that the best way to win a fight is to never let it begin in the first place. Moral of the story: No fight, be it of words, cultures, or physical can result in a 100% win to either side. Both side loose: some loose less (winner) and some loose more (looser). But in the end, they both loose something.

The key to progress is collaboration where both side wins and not clash where both side loose.

@ Kirat: They mentioned that we need to show funds equal to at least 80% of first year tuition fees + living expense. They take these numbers from the offer letter. If somebody is sponsoring you, you need a letter from him stating this and a proof of his income/funds (they said affidavit is nor required, a letter will do good). Are you applying as SPP or General?

- GS

Sab479

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
GS_Stud said:
@ Cooldude: The didn't mentioned anytime frame except that the deadline for SPP for Sep 2011 intake is Aug 15. Many people (especially in business families) maintain several account in name of moth, sister etc to save taxes. Then they submit all bank statements instead of one since the finds are disbursed in several accounts.

@ Pirates: I don't mind. We live in a world of free speech. If this info helps then please use it. If it doesn't then please discard it.

Information has different value for different people. Personally speaking, for me the seminar was very useful since I'm not planning to use any consultant. I can't speak the same for everybody else.

@ Sab: I can understand. Not all that glitters is gold. I'm just sharing what they told us in the seminar (the official statements).

-GS
@GS It was just a comment according to my experience, otherwise I appreciated your effort and contribution. I am sure this info will be useful for a lot of people.

kiratray

Star Member
Mar 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-7-11
IELTS Request
Med's Request
premed
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Passport with CHC
VISA ISSUED...
yet to be issued
I am applying under general category.
One more query : My classes are going to start in September and I am planning to apply by end of this month.
Do I have sufficient time for getting visa.

Thanks and Regards
Kir

Obeid_oo

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GS_Stud said:
Friends,

Canadian High Commission in New Delhi conducted a seminar and QA session for students who wish to apply for a study visa (SPP and General ) on 12 April 2011. The presenters were the two visa officer who process student visa in CHC New Delhi and they answer a lot of question by students and their parents during the session.

I found the visa officers very humane and helpful even during that short contact period. I'm not sure why people had been cursing them on this and other forums.

I'm providing highlights of the information shared and summary of the discussions that happened in the seminar for benefit of my fellow brother and sisters in this forum:

The presentation was short, simple, and easy to understand and was divided into four sections:
  • Application Submission
  • Tips
  • On Agents

Visa Officer Assessment

This was the most important section. They explained what they look for in a student visa application for acceptance, and what things force them to reject application. The most common sentence I heard during the complete seminar was "submit <an application, document, or proofs> that makes common sense".

They told us that they start assessing the application with a belief that the candidate is a genuine student, and that S/He has sufficient funds for his/her study. And then they validate this belief by the documents that we provide along with the application.

They also gave us several other important tips and information which I will try to put in this list as summary points. If you need clarification, more information about any one of these then please add ur note in this thread and I will try to answer.

• Submit ONLY required number of documents. No more and no less. If they need more information, they will ask.
The reason they gave was very interesting. They said that they have to validate/assess every single paper coming in the application. So if an application has 20 papers, it will be submitted four times longer than an application that had required 5 papers attached {20 and 5 is just an indicative, not any real number}.

They said that the processing time of SPP and General applications is same (they {CHC} have not made SPP processing any faster). However, since SPP application contains lesser number of documents, they take less time in processing those and the result is that SPP application gets cleared faster compared to general application which had more required number of documents.

• Submit all required information and make sure the information is correct(such as DOB of your parents etc in the family info form).
They say that they use and verify every single row of the information you provide in the form.

It may lead you to a Canada Visa ban (for all types of visa) for next 2 years. Also, even after 2 years it will be in system and every time a visa officer will see your application, he will see an alarm.

They told us that they have internal fraud detecting teams in place who keeps on checking for fraudsters. They also said that mistake is one thing and fraud is another. They also gave example of common frauds like inventing a job for fake experience. They say that it is OK not to have a job or a gap period but please do not invent a job just for fake experience. They verify every information and this may lead to a ban if you are found out cheating with the system.

• They told us that you can add a small note or a 1 pager to explain any inconsistency in your document and it helps them to assess , say a gap year or anything you want them to know but they don't want a 10 page book explaining everything in your application that makes sense. { @ Nazia, does it answers your question}

• They say that they review the past studies and the current course for a possible match.

However, it is NOT that they will not allow a visa if the course do not match. If the course is not matching then they simply investigate it a bit more than usual. They said that they have issues visa to genuine students whose prior course was not matching with the enrolled one but they keep their guard up for any abuse of the visa system by immigrants.

• If you are an experienced candidate, and had done any kind of job, submit proof such as offer letter or past 6 month payslip etc along with your application. It helps them to assess.

• For SPP, they want a 80% loan sanction letter along with application. If you submit a loan less than that, they will still process the application but as a general application.

• For General applicants, it is strongly recommended to have a loan sanction letter along with application (may be 80%).

They said that they are not financial expert so they rely more on banks to assess financial health of a candidate. They also consider other source of income such as FD, bank statement, IT returns etc but bank loan is preferred.

• If you are showing bank statement, try to show them past 4 months statement, and do not show them multiple accounts. Also, IT returns can be shown along with it as well, especially if the course is a longer one.

• IELTS is strongly preferred as English Language Proficiency proof. They said there are a number of reasons for which they do not consider TOEFL and recommend IELTS for any visa application. For SPP, 6.0 is required.

Also, they said that even if your course does not required IELTS/TOEFL scores, they still recommend to have IELTS scores in your application.

Some people raised question that they had given SAT or GRE or GMAT etc and TOEFL. Do they need to give IELTS as well? The answer was No. They said if you have given higher exams (like GRE, GMAT, etc), and are admitted to a reputed university/college, they do not need IELTS then.

I've tried to list out the important highlights. There are lots of other things that I would like to share as well. However, since this post if getting extremely long (and my fingers are numb), I will post some more useful information in the same thread later. Please keep a tab on this thread for some more useful information.

I hope this information will be of some use to you. Thanks for taking time to read it.

Regards,
GS

Hi

thanks for the useful info

maan2010

Jul 31, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Request
01-June-2011
Med's Done....
03-June-2011
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
11-August-2011(Stamped on August 5, 2011)
LANDED..........
4-September-2011(Insha'Allah)
GS_Stud said:
Friends,

• Application Submission
  • Tips
  • On Agents

Visa Officer Assessment

• They told us that you can add a small note or a 1 pager to explain any inconsistency in your document and it helps them to assess , say a gap year or anything you want them to know but they don't want a 10 page book explaining everything in your application that makes sense. { @ Nazia, does it answers your question}

Regards,
GS
Thank you so much GS for your time and post. really relly useful info for all applicants.

piratesparade

Star Member
Apr 9, 2011
Gs stud this , Gs stud that . We just have to be mere parasites here , thats da very truth !

What about those who get their chance not putting much and those who r waiting for the ages for being a third world . Doesn't that sound to be unacceptable .

The moral of da story :

All hails, no real tales ....