+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CHC Seminar Highlights: Important information regarding student visa application

tania2010

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
GS_Stud said:
Friends,

Canadian High Commission in New Delhi conducted a seminar and QA session for students who wish to apply for a study visa (SPP and General ) on 12 April 2011. The presenters were the two visa officer who process student visa in CHC New Delhi and they answer a lot of question by students and their parents during the session.

I found the visa officers very humane and helpful even during that short contact period. I'm not sure why people had been cursing them on this and other forums.

I'm providing highlights of the information shared and summary of the discussions that happened in the seminar for benefit of my fellow brother and sisters in this forum:

Presentation by Visa Officers

The presentation was short, simple, and easy to understand and was divided into four sections:
  • Visa Officer Assessment
  • Application Submission
  • Tips
  • On Agents

Visa Officer Assessment

This was the most important section. They explained what they look for in a student visa application for acceptance, and what things force them to reject application. The most common sentence I heard during the complete seminar was "submit <an application, document, or proofs> that makes common sense".

They told us that they start assessing the application with a belief that the candidate is a genuine student, and that S/He has sufficient funds for his/her study. And then they validate this belief by the documents that we provide along with the application.

They also gave us several other important tips and information which I will try to put in this list as summary points. If you need clarification, more information about any one of these then please add ur note in this thread and I will try to answer.

• Submit ONLY required number of documents. No more and no less. If they need more information, they will ask.
The reason they gave was very interesting. They said that they have to validate/assess every single paper coming in the application. So if an application has 20 papers, it will be submitted four times longer than an application that had required 5 papers attached {20 and 5 is just an indicative, not any real number}.

They said that the processing time of SPP and General applications is same (they {CHC} have not made SPP processing any faster). However, since SPP application contains lesser number of documents, they take less time in processing those and the result is that SPP application gets cleared faster compared to general application which had more required number of documents.

• Submit all required information and make sure the information is correct(such as DOB of your parents etc in the family info form).
They say that they use and verify every single row of the information you provide in the form.

• Never submit any false information or forged documents.

It may lead you to a Canada Visa ban (for all types of visa) for next 2 years. Also, even after 2 years it will be in system and every time a visa officer will see your application, he will see an alarm.

They told us that they have internal fraud detecting teams in place who keeps on checking for fraudsters. They also said that mistake is one thing and fraud is another. They also gave example of common frauds like inventing a job for fake experience. They say that it is OK not to have a job or a gap period but please do not invent a job just for fake experience. They verify every information and this may lead to a ban if you are found out cheating with the system.

• They told us that you can add a small note or a 1 pager to explain any inconsistency in your document and it helps them to assess , say a gap year or anything you want them to know but they don't want a 10 page book explaining everything in your application that makes sense. { @ Nazia, does it answers your question}

• They say that they review the past studies and the current course for a possible match.

However, it is NOT that they will not allow a visa if the course do not match. If the course is not matching then they simply investigate it a bit more than usual. They said that they have issues visa to genuine students whose prior course was not matching with the enrolled one but they keep their guard up for any abuse of the visa system by immigrants.

• If you are an experienced candidate, and had done any kind of job, submit proof such as offer letter or past 6 month payslip etc along with your application. It helps them to assess.

• For SPP, they want a 80% loan sanction letter along with application. If you submit a loan less than that, they will still process the application but as a general application.

• For General applicants, it is strongly recommended to have a loan sanction letter along with application (may be 80%).

They said that they are not financial expert so they rely more on banks to assess financial health of a candidate. They also consider other source of income such as FD, bank statement, IT returns etc but bank loan is preferred.

• If you are showing bank statement, try to show them past 4 months statement, and do not show them multiple accounts. Also, IT returns can be shown along with it as well, especially if the course is a longer one.

• IELTS is strongly preferred as English Language Proficiency proof. They said there are a number of reasons for which they do not consider TOEFL and recommend IELTS for any visa application. For SPP, 6.0 is required.

Also, they said that even if your course does not required IELTS/TOEFL scores, they still recommend to have IELTS scores in your application.

Some people raised question that they had given SAT or GRE or GMAT etc and TOEFL. Do they need to give IELTS as well? The answer was No. They said if you have given higher exams (like GRE, GMAT, etc), and are admitted to a reputed university/college, they do not need IELTS then.

But for other cases, yes IELTS is a must.

I've tried to list out the important highlights. There are lots of other things that I would like to share as well. However, since this post if getting extremely long (and my fingers are numb), I will post some more useful information in the same thread later. Please keep a tab on this thread for some more useful information.

I hope this information will be of some use to you. Thanks for taking time to read it.

Regards,
GS

v nice work GS...love it really..

kamy1

Apr 22, 2011
got aa refusal under spp ni jan 2010 can i apply under spp in sept 2011 session Huh??
plz help urgent bcoz my documents for general are ready ...abt to apply in 1-2 days ...

kkumark

Jun 26, 2011
Hello Gs ...
I have a problem plz solve :::
1. I am a graduate, completed B.Tech (information technology) in india ,,,i got offer letter for post secondary diploma ( 2 years diploma ) from sheridan college......but my prob is that post secondary diploma means it is low level to b.tech ...few consultants were saying if and only if I apply to the next level to my qualification ( eg: post graduate diploma or masters ) then only I can get visa......how far it is true and can I get visa with post secondary diploma as I am a b.tech holder ?

2. And I am planning to apply under SPP ...so what are the documents exactly required to submit to the embassy for SPP category ?

.plz brother....give me reply

jai2488

Jun 27, 2011
kavya said:
One more question GS,

You know for current situation I wont be able to apply for this SPP, Because I am not going to get student loan. I got it in my AC. But in case if I can get an offer letter with fundings from university. Does that mean I can apply for SPP?... and also you said that it may be possible that in general one I can get visa by sep if I apply in July isnt it. I just want to make everything ready by the time.

Thanks a lot again,

I think u are a good guide for the we guys
@ GS

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all the info. Was very useful . I have got into a 2yr MS program , my tuition comes around $13500 and living around $12000. Now my university has guaranteed me a funding in the form of stipend that is enough to cover both living and tuition and also may be save a little bit. Isn't that enough a financial proof or do I have to show additional financial backing like parents bank stmt or in the form edu loan? I'm done with medical last friday and will file visa application this week or next monday.Do i have enough time? Will be applying through general category.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamy1 said:
got aa refusal under spp ni jan 2010 can i apply under spp in sept 2011 session Huh??
plz help urgent bcoz my documents for general are ready ...abt to apply in 1-2 days ...
Hi kamy1,

There are many set of thoughts over whether you can reapply in SPP or not. On the official website, there is no instructions about whether you can/cannot reapply for SPP.

The four different set answers I've heard over this are:

1. You cannot reapply SPP in the same year twice.
2. You can reapply in the next academic session for SPP.
3. You can reapply within few days of rejection, but as a General candidate and not as SPP.
4. You can reapply within few days of rejection, again as SPP.

Unfortunately, there is no information available on CHC website which tells us which of the four statements are true. You have to pick one and apply.

GS

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kkumark said:
Hello Gs ...
I have a problem plz solve :::
1. I am a graduate, completed B.Tech (information technology) in india ,,,i got offer letter for post secondary diploma ( 2 years diploma ) from sheridan college......but my prob is that post secondary diploma means it is low level to b.tech ...few consultants were saying if and only if I apply to the next level to my qualification ( eg: post graduate diploma or masters ) then only I can get visa......how far it is true and can I get visa with post secondary diploma as I am a b.tech holder ?

2. And I am planning to apply under SPP ...so what are the documents exactly required to submit to the embassy for SPP category ?

.plz brother....give me reply
Hi Kkumark,

Post Secondary diploma means a diploma that can be done after class 12th. If you apply for a post secondary diploma after doing B.Tech (graduation already) then there are very less chances of getting a visa.

Instead of getting higher education, you are getting a lower education (lower then you current credentials).

Not just the visa, even for your academic qualification and job prospects this will not help you at all. You might consider going for a PG diploma or a Masters level degree course instead of a lower level secondary level diploma.

For SPP, complete checklist is available here: http://www.vfs-canada.co.in/images/SPP%20Checklist%20English%20Version.pdf

GS

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jai2488 said:
@ GS

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all the info. Was very useful . I have got into a 2yr MS program , my tuition comes around $13500 and living around $12000. Now my university has guaranteed me a funding in the form of stipend that is enough to cover both living and tuition and also may be save a little bit.
Hi Jai,

Thanks for your kind words.

First of all congrats for getting a full scholarship in this era of economic depression. You are very lucky!

For the benefit of others, could you please tell the process and criteria of getting a grant and which Uni provide it in Canada? A lot of prospective students may benefit from your advice.

Isn't that enough a financial proof or do I have to show additional financial backing like parents bank stmt or in the form edu loan?
If you are getting grant covering your tuition fees and living expenses, then you do not need to show any other financial proof. One of the students asked this question in a seminar conducted by CHC New Delhi and this information is directly from them.

I'm done with medical last friday and will file visa application this week or next monday.Do i have enough time? Will be applying through general category.
I applied as a general applicant, with no scholarship, no pre-medical, and no study loan in New Delhi and received visa in just 11 working days (about 2.5 weeks). use the "University" checklist and apply.

One person who had applied using University checklist got Visa in 4 days in CHC, Chandigarh.

If you had applied for Fall session then there shouldn't be a problem. For July intake, it might be a bit hectic but you might get through for that as well (with reference to your educational grant).

GS

sam_libra

Star Member
Jan 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May - 2013
AOR Received.
May - 2013
File Transfer...
May - 2013
Med's Done....
March - 2013
Passport Req..
June - 2013
@GS_Stud

Could u pls tell ma one thing as u have told minimum 6 bands required in IELTS...what about if any one going for PG Diploma....do they need more then 6 for PG diploma...thnx

tania2010

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
sam_libra said:
@ GS_Stud

Could u pls tell ma one thing as u have told minimum 6 bands required in IELTS...what about if any one going for PG Diploma....do they need more then 6 for PG diploma...thnx
it depends on ur college or uni admission criteria..but i think for PGD mostly colleges n unis require 6 band n no less than 5.5 in each course...check English language requirements for international students in college u r interested...hopefully u understand now...best of luck..pray 4 all of us!!!!!!!!!!

sam_libra

Star Member
Jan 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May - 2013
AOR Received.
May - 2013
File Transfer...
May - 2013
Med's Done....
March - 2013
Passport Req..
June - 2013
Hi Tania m not talking about the university or colleges...i knew there are heaps of colleges giving admission with 6 band....m talking about CHC...do they have any problem if anyone going with 6 band for PG Diploma?? because i have heard that they need 6.5 band for PGD. Thanks

tania2010

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
sam_libra said:
Hi Tania m not talking about the university or colleges...i knew there are heaps of colleges giving admission with 6 band....m talking about CHC...do they have any problem if anyone going with 6 band for PG Diploma?? because i have heard that they need 6.5 band for PGD. Thanks
This is some information provided by a student from new Delhi...hope it would be helpful 4 u!!!!!!!

Canadian High Commission in New Delhi conducted a seminar and QA session for students who wish to apply for a study visa (SPP and General ) on 12 April 2011. The presenters were the two visa officer who process student visa in CHC New Delhi and they answer a lot of question by students and their parents during the session.

I found the visa officers very humane and helpful even during that short contact period. I'm not sure why people had been cursing them on this and other forums.

I'm providing highlights of the information shared and summary of the discussions that happened in the seminar for benefit of my fellow brother and sisters in this forum:

Presentation by Visa Officers

The presentation was short, simple, and easy to understand and was divided into four sections:
Visa Officer Assessment
Application Submission
Tips
On Agents

Visa Officer Assessment

This was the most important section. They explained what they look for in a student visa application for acceptance, and what things force them to reject application. The most common sentence I heard during the complete seminar was "submit <an application, document, or proofs> that makes common sense".

They told us that they start assessing the application with a belief that the candidate is a genuine student, and that S/He has sufficient funds for his/her study. And then they validate this belief by the documents that we provide along with the application.

They also gave us several other important tips and information which I will try to put in this list as summary points. If you need clarification, more information about any one of these then please add ur note in this thread and I will try to answer.

Submit ONLY required number of documents. No more and no less. If they need more information, they will ask.
The reason they gave was very interesting. They said that they have to validate/assess every single paper coming in the application. So if an application has 20 papers, it will be submitted four times longer than an application that had required 5 papers attached {20 and 5 is just an indicative, not any real number}.

They said that the processing time of SPP and General applications is same (they {CHC} have not made SPP processing any faster). However, since SPP application contains lesser number of documents, they take less time in processing those and the result is that SPP application gets cleared faster compared to general application which had more required number of documents.

Submit all required information and make sure the information is correct(such as DOB of your parents etc in the family info form).
They say that they use and verify every single row of the information you provide in the form.

Never submit any false information or forged documents.

It may lead you to a Canada Visa ban (for all types of visa) for next 2 years. Also, even after 2 years it will be in system and every time a visa officer will see your application, he will see an alarm.

They told us that they have internal fraud detecting teams in place who keeps on checking for fraudsters. They also said that mistake is one thing and fraud is another. They also gave example of common frauds like inventing a job for fake experience. They say that it is OK not to have a job or a gap period but please do not invent a job just for fake experience. They verify every information and this may lead to a ban if you are found out cheating with the system.

They told us that you can add a small note or a 1 pager to explain any inconsistency in your document and it helps them to assess , say a gap year or anything you want them to know but they don't want a 10 page book explaining everything in your application that makes sense. { @ Nazia, does it answers your question}

They say that they review the past studies and the current course for a possible match.

However, it is NOT that they will not allow a visa if the course do not match. If the course is not matching then they simply investigate it a bit more than usual. They said that they have issues visa to genuine students whose prior course was not matching with the enrolled one but they keep their guard up for any abuse of the visa system by immigrants.

If you are an experienced candidate, and had done any kind of job, submit proof such as offer letter or past 6 month payslip etc along with your application. It helps them to assess.

For SPP, they want a 80% loan sanction letter along with application. If you submit a loan less than that, they will still process the application but as a general application.

For General applicants, it is strongly recommended to have a loan sanction letter along with application (may be 80%).

They said that they are not financial expert so they rely more on banks to assess financial health of a candidate. They also consider other source of income such as FD, bank statement, IT returns etc but bank loan is preferred.

If you are showing bank statement, try to show them past 4 months statement, and do not show them multiple accounts. Also, IT returns can be shown along with it as well, especially if the course is a longer one.

IELTS is strongly preferred as English Language Proficiency proof. They said there are a number of reasons for which they do not consider TOEFL and recommend IELTS for any visa application. For SPP, 6.0 is required.

Also, they said that even if your course does not required IELTS/TOEFL scores, they still recommend to have IELTS scores in your application.

Some people raised question that they had given SAT or GRE or GMAT etc and TOEFL. Do they need to give IELTS as well? The answer was No. They said if you have given higher exams (like GRE, GMAT, etc), and are admitted to a reputed university/college, they do not need IELTS then.

But for other cases, yes IELTS is a must.

I've tried to list out the important highlights. There are lots of other things that I would like to share as well. However, since this post if getting extremely long (and my fingers are numb), I will post some more useful information in the same thread later. Please keep a tab on this thread for some more useful information.

I hope this information will be of some use to you. Thanks for taking time to read it.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Tania,

You original reply is correct. We must contact the college/uni to check their admission guidelines.

For CHC, IELTS is not a requirement but as additional input. There is no minimum score.

That student from New Delhi whom you have quoted does not knows much about the process.

GS

tania2010

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
GS_Stud said:
Hi Tania,

You original reply is correct. We must contact the college/uni to check their admission guidelines.

For CHC, IELS is not a requirement but as additional input. There is no minimum score.

That student from New Delhi whom you have quoted does not knows much about the process.

GS
AGREE...GS where u frm??