+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing visitor visa to open work permit

reply_awaited

Oct 29, 2012
Hello,

I am in canada on a visitor visa and my husband is on a work permit. His work permit is valid till Dec 2013 and so is my visitor visa. I am planning to apply for an open work permit. I do not have a job offer. Can anybody please advice as to which application i need to fill out for initial open work permit and what additional documents do i need to attach?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

reply_awaited said:
Hello,

I am in canada on a visitor visa and my husband is on a work permit. His work permit is valid till Dec 2013 and so is my visitor visa. I am planning to apply for an open work permit. I do not have a job offer. Can anybody please advice as to which application i need to fill out for initial open work permit and what additional documents do i need to attach?

Thanks.

1. Determine if you are eligible, your spouse's work permit has to be in NOC A,B or O for you to apply.
2. Follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
3. Include a copy of your spouse's work permit.

reply_awaited

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

yes, I am eligible to apply for open work permit.

I have few questions regarding the IMM 5710 application. If anybody can guide me, it would be of great help.

Do i need to select option (d) for the below question.
Ques 3. I am applying for one or more of the following:
a) a work permit with the same employer
b) a work permit with a new employer
c) restoration of temporary resident status as a worker
d) Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit

Section : Details of intended work in Canada

I do not have a job offer in my hand right now. So, can you please let me know what do i fill in these fields. Fields cannot be left blank as the form will not validate.

Ques 2. Details of my prospective employer
a)Name of employer
b) Complete address of employer

Ques 3. Intended location of employment in canada
Province
City/Town
Address

Ques 4. My occupation in canada will be
a) Job title
b) Brief discussion of duties

Ques 5. Duration of expected employment
From date
To date

Section: Employment

As i am currently unemployed since July 2012, what should i fill in these fields. I am not able to leave these fields empty, as the form will not validate.

Current activity/occupation
From date
To date
Company name
City/Town
Country

Waiting for the reply. Thanks in advance.

Sep 4, 2012
reply_awaited said:
Hello,

Thanks.
Hi reply_awaited,

can you please share what documents did you show for your Visitor Visa application. I am planning to bring my wife after marriage. This would help me a lot.

Thanks

verveiko

Aug 3, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Passport Req..
08-03-2013
LANDED..........
29-03-2013
You want to apply for open work permit, so you should write in all fields connected with employer and place of employment - n/a or not applicable, that's what I did for my open work permit.

Jan 16, 2013
I filled IMM5710 application for my spouse with the below ones

1.restoration of temporary resident status as a worker
2.Not Applicable
3.Toronto
4.Application developer
5.From 2013-03-01 to 2013-Dec-31

But when i tried to upload it ,its throws error like below
Your answer is incomplete. Provide the necessary information below to continue.
Error occurred while validating your Document, please verify your document and retry

Samaira8587

Jan 21, 2013
Could you please let me know Did you get your visitor visa issued in the first time and for how long id they grant you? What all documents you attached for the visitor visa and did you showed a very strong bank statements? I am in a great difficulty because everybody says Embassy dos not grant visitor visa easily so please help and share your experience.It would be a great help.Thanks!

meenucanada

Feb 3, 2013
Hey All,

I have arrived in a canada a fortnight ago on visitor visa as my husband is wrkng here on work permit...plz guide me how to apply for open work permit.....officer at port of entry told me that i should hv applied frm my home country or now call up at visa office....to know more,,,i keep calling but ivr runs and no one replies
plz guide i badly need to work...

reply_awaited

Oct 29, 2012
Samaira8587 said:
Could you please let me know Did you get your visitor visa issued in the first time and for how long id they grant you? What all documents you attached for the visitor visa and did you showed a very strong bank statements? I am in a great difficulty because everybody says Embassy dos not grant visitor visa easily so please help and share your experience.It would be a great help.Thanks!
Samaira8587,
I was issued with visitor visa in the first attempt. It was applied together with my husband's work permit. We submitted the application and marriage certificate. We didn't show any bank statements.

reply_awaited

Oct 29, 2012
meenucanada said:
Hey All,

I have arrived in a canada a fortnight ago on visitor visa as my husband is wrkng here on work permit...plz guide me how to apply for open work permit.....officer at port of entry told me that i should hv applied frm my home country or now call up at visa office....to know more,,,i keep calling but ivr runs and no one replies
plz guide i badly need to work...
Hi,
You can fill out the application and attach the documents which are mentioned in the document checklist of the package.