+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing program/course after reaching to Canada

mdpandya

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Hi

Can we change our program after reaching to Canada? if we can then, is there any problem in getting PGWP or PR after successfully completion of changed program in public funded polytechnic institute?

I am planning take admission in Petroleum Engineering Technology, NAIT, Edmonton and like to shift from there to Bachelor of Applied Technology Petroleum Engineering, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary.

Please respond!

Thanks!

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
mdpandya said:
Hi

Can we change our program after reaching to Canada? if we can then, is there any problem in getting PGWP or PR after successfully completion of changed program in public funded polytechnic institute?

I am planning take admission in Petroleum Engineering Technology, NAIT, Edmonton and like to shift from there to Bachelor of Applied Technology Petroleum Engineering, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary.

Please respond!
Thanks!
1. If you had read the FAQs on CIC web then you would not have posted this quesiton.

2. If your change your course only and the degree level remain the same (from Bachelors of arts to say bachelors of Science) you are not required to inform CIC regarding this shift and you can go join this new course without any problem. However, If you change the level of your degree as well (from Bachelors to Masters or from Masters to Bachelors) then you would be required to inform CIC and submitt application for change condition.

Quote from CIC web: "If you are changing schools and/or your program of study but remain at the same level (e.g., secondary level), you do not need to modify your study permit.

However, if for example you are a student at the primary school level and you are moving on to secondary school, or if you are a secondary school student and you are moving on to post-secondary studies, or if you are moving from post-secondary studies to secondary studies, you need to submit an application to modify your study permit at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta."

mdpandya

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
I completely understand and have been through the CIC website and kinda aware about it. If you can read my query carefully, I have the major doubt regarding the work permit and PR after successfully completion of changed program in Canada. At what extend it may affect to get PGWP/PR?

Kindly, help in this!

Thanks!

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
mdpandya said:
I completely understand and have been through the CIC website and kinda aware about it. If you can read my query carefully, I have the major doubt regarding the work permit and PR after successfully completion of changed program in Canada. At what extend it may affect to get PGWP/PR?

Kindly, help in this!

Thanks!
In that case read CIC web carefully, you will find your answer

BR,
Inam

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
mdpandya said:

Kindly, help in this!

Thanks!
1. There is no problem in getting PGWP after this change.

Quote: "In cases where a student has transferred between educational institutions, the student must have graduated from an institution described in the eligibility criteria above, and the combined time in institutions meeting these criteria must be at least eight months."

It can be deduced that you are eligible for PGWP with changing your educational institutes and it doesn't affect the PGWP. You have to meet the basic conditions of PGWP (a. full time student, b. Participating institutes, c. More than 8 months long course, d. Not on some specific scholarship; see website for details)

2. PR is a long way down the road so don't worry about it. This change won't affect getting PR either.

Chill and relax,

BR,
Inam

H

HBK

mdpandya said:
Hi

Please respond!

Thanks!
As said by members you can change your program easily without notifying CIC,if your program is at the same level.

You can change your course from higher to lower level courses.. But, you will have to apply for "Application to change conditions in study permit at CPC, Alberta" and the office will decide if you should be given a permission. They might refuse your application or they might accept if there is some genuine facts in your case

And reguarding PGWP and PR, it will not make any difference as long as your both institutions are public funded.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
H

HBK

Exodus123 said:
Inam, help the poor guy.
what do you mean by poor guy? huh?
this forum is all about sharing info. thats it. and that's why we all are here.

mdpandya

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Alright!

One more query....If I change program with same level i.e. diploma to diploma, post-grad to post-grad and so on...in this case can I change my program from SPP college to non-SPP college like SAIT Polytechnic(Public Funded)? Does it make any issues?

Thanks!

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
mdpandya said:
Alright!

One more query....If I change program with same level i.e. diploma to diploma, post-grad to post-grad and so on...in this case can I change my program from SPP college to non-SPP college like SAIT Polytechnic(Public Funded)? Does it make any issues?

Thanks!
I think it will not make an issue as SPP has got you your visa and you can change college once you are in Canada but WAIT for someone else's reply who is more sure about it.

mdpandya

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Seems fair enough!

I have still confusion about the "program level" change. Correct me, if I am not: If I want to change program from diploma or post-grad diploma to under-grad(2 years' Canadian applied bachelor degree) then do I need to apply to CIC? Help me in this, did I get it correct or not.

Thanks!

mdpandya

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Anybody......please respond to my above query!!!!

And how can I contact to a user in this forum? I need to contact these two persons 'JR86' and 'nour140' as they applied in the same program in which I did(Bachelor of Applied Technology in Petroleum Engineering, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, AB). So I need to contact them for more detailing regarding the program and preparing the file for visa.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
mdpandya said:
Seems fair enough!

I have still confusion about the "program level" change. Correct me, if I am not: If I want to change program from diploma or post-grad diploma to under-grad(2 years' Canadian applied bachelor degree) then do I need to apply to CIC? Help me in this, did I get it correct or not.

Thanks!
Yes Post grad diploma to under grad will be reported to CIC.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
mdpandya said:
Anybody......please respond to my above query!!!!

And how can I contact to a user in this forum? I need to contact these two persons 'JR86' and 'nour140' as they applied in the same program in which I did(Bachelor of Applied Technology in Petroleum Engineering, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, AB). So I need to contact them for more detailing regarding the program and preparing the file for visa.
When your post count exceeds 10, you will be able to send personal messages.