+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before or after arrival? (Urgent)

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
Was that permit for a lower level (high school) or for your intended post secondary program? It’s really pretty straightforward. If you are holding a valid study permit for elementary and moving to high school, or if you are holding a study permit for high school and moving to post secondary, then yes it applies to you.
Btw I forgot to ask something, I did the DLI change before the new rules were implemented. Is there a chance I can be exempt from it? Cuz the new rules came out April and I did the change in the first week of March.

Reactions: Farhan Islam SOurov

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Btw I forgot to ask something, I did the DLI change before the new rules were implemented. Is there a chance I can be exempt from it? Cuz the new rules came out April and I did the change in the first week of March.
You only got a new LOA about a month ago though? Try to keep your story consistent.

Reactions: rogelcorral

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hey guys, I'm an international student and I've received my study permit and visa approval.

About a month ago, I got a better offer for a new university, so should I change DLI's from now or can I land first, then show my old university that I used for the study permit, then do the change once I get my permit? and would that cause any problems? as I'm enrolled in the new university too.
In your original post you were asking if you should change DLI after getting a better offer from another uni a month ago. Now you are saying you already changed your DLI. So, which of your statement is true?

Reactions: wonderbly

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
In your original post you were asking if you should change DLI after getting a better offer from another uni a month ago. Now you are saying you already changed your DLI. So, which of your statement is true?
In March, I had another university that I received an offer from and did the change on my GCKey for the first time. Then last month I got a third offer and decided to go with the 3rd one. But I was asking in general. If I go with the second option which was done before the new rules, am I exempt?

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
You only got a new LOA about a month ago though? Try to keep your story consistent.
In March, I had another university that I received an offer from and did the change on my GCKey for the first time. Then last month I got a third offer and decided to go with the 3rd one. But I was asking in general. If I go with the second option which was done before the new rules, am I exempt?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Personally, right now I would suggest you make up your mind first on which institution you really want to attend.

Regarding your question, when you changed your DLI, did IRCC gave you a reply? Send a webform as you have a very complicated case. You did not mention all pertinent information in your original post. And now you are adding info as you go along.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
This new policy has already been in place since December 2020/January 2021. if you search past threads there was someone who encountered issues with changing DLI outside Canada as far back as December 2020.

If you changed your DLI already in march, chances are you are already in trouble.

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
Personally, right now I would suggest you make up your mind first on which institution you really want to attend.

Regarding your question, when you changed your DLI, did IRCC gave you a reply? Send a webform as you have a very complicated case. You did not mention all pertinent information in your original post. And now you are adding info as you go along.
I have made my mind on the 3rd university, but now that I found out about re-applying, I'm considering going to the 2nd one if it doesn't require me to re-apply as I've done the change before like I mentioned. I've also sent 3 webforms and it's been 2 months and no one has responded yet.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I have made my mind on the 3rd university, but now that I found out about re-applying, I'm considering going to the 2nd one if it doesn't require me to re-apply as I've done the change before like I mentioned. I've also sent 3 webforms and it's been 2 months and no one has responded yet.
Then I wish you the best in your plans.

This is why I advocate proper research before executing a plan. While it cannot be avoided to change DLI or program, the headache could be lessened if one makes an extensive research first. Don’t go for the hit-and-miss type. “Haste makes waste” as the saying goes.

All the best.

ali_121

Jul 17, 2021
You need a new study permit if you want to change schools now. IRCC changed rules and you need to be ”actively” studying in the university attached to your study permit. So complete a semester or year at the current school and then change schools.
There was a poster on here in December who changed his DLI before travelling. 2 weeks later IRCC cancelled his SP and informed him not travel and that he should send them his new DLI's LOA and they will let him know how to proceed. I know that one of his last posts here in February/March was that 80-something days later he was still waiting for update from IRCC. You can search this forum for his thread.

Choice is yours.
If you look at the bottom of that page, it was last modified in 2018.

This is the latest (June 2021):

Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.
If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.
If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.
You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

I got an email from IRCC after sending a webform regarding changing DLI and this is what they said. I'm confused as hell.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you are changing schools or programs of study, here are some tips to help you determine if you should apply to modify the conditions on your current valid study permit.

Transition between levels of study (primary, secondary and post-secondary):

• As of April 11, 2019, if you are moving to the next level of study (primary, secondary and post-secondary), you are no longer required to apply for a new study permit, provided your current study permit is still valid.
Changing Post-secondary schools:

• If you are a student with a valid study permit for training or postsecondary studies in Canada, you can transfer between programs of study and designated learning institutions (DLI) and transfer between public and private institutions withoutapplying for a new study permit,
    • however, you must notify IRCC through your online account that you have transferred to another DLI.
Conditions imposed:

• If conditions were imposed on the study permit (i.e., the work conditions attached to your study permit, etc.):
School in Québec:

Moreover, the Government of Canada is closely monitoring COVID-19 and its impact on IRCC clients.

Processes are being introduced to provide for the entry of international students. This change to travel restrictions affects all international students, regardless of where they are travelling from or when their study permit was approved.

Since October 20, 2020, international students may travel to Canada, if they are:

• In possession of a valid study permit or letter of introduction, and
  • Attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by the province or territory.
The list of DLIs that have COVID-19 readiness plans approved will be updated regularly and is available on our website.

If your DLI does not have an approved COVID-19 readiness plan, you will not be able to travel to Canada for now.

Travellers should not make any travel plans until they have met all requirements and received all necessary authorizations. Like all travellers to Canada, international students and accompanying family members will be subject to all public health measures.

To learn more about this process and see who is eligible, please consult our website.

We invite you to visit our website regularly. It will be updated as the situation evolves.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Denis, agent 4176
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you are not the intended recipient or if you received this communication in error, please delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

Note The information provided may change without notice. If there is conflicting information between the text in the email and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the Citizenship Act or their regulations, the Act and/or Regulations prevail. This email was sent to you in the language of your choice. The information on the IRCC website is available in both official languages. The masculine form is used for convenience; it refers to all genders.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I got an email from IRCC after sending a webform regarding changing DLI and this is what they said. I'm confused as hell.

Good day,

If you are changing schools or programs of study, here are some tips to help you determine if you should apply to modify the conditions on your current valid study permit.

• As of April 11, 2019, if you are moving to the next level of study (primary, secondary and post-secondary), you are no longer required to apply for a new study permit, provided your current study permit is still valid.

• If you are a student with a valid study permit for training or postsecondary studies in Canada, you can transfer between programs of study and designated learning institutions (DLI) and transfer between public and private institutions withoutapplying for a new study permit,
    • however, you must notify IRCC through your online account that you have transferred to another DLI.
  • If you are outside of Canadaand your application:
    • is still in process, you must notify IRCC by submitting your new letter of acceptance via the IRCC Web form,
    • has already been approved, you will need to submit a new study permit application and pay the applicable fees.
Conditions imposed:

• If conditions were imposed on the study permit (i.e., the work conditions attached to your study permit, etc.):
School in Québec:

Moreover, the Government of Canada is closely monitoring COVID-19 and its impact on IRCC clients.

Processes are being introduced to provide for the entry of international students. This change to travel restrictions affects all international students, regardless of where they are travelling from or when their study permit was approved.

Since October 20, 2020, international students may travel to Canada, if they are:

• Attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by the province or territory.
The list of DLIs that have COVID-19 readiness plans approved will be updated regularly and is available on our website.

If your DLI does not have an approved COVID-19 readiness plan, you will not be able to travel to Canada for now.

Travellers should not make any travel plans until they have met all requirements and received all necessary authorizations. Like all travellers to Canada, international students and accompanying family members will be subject to all public health measures.

To learn more about this process and see who is eligible, please consult our website.

We invite you to visit our website regularly. It will be updated as the situation evolves.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Denis, agent 4176

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you are not the intended recipient or if you received this communication in error, please delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

Note The information provided may change without notice. If there is conflicting information between the text in the email and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the Citizenship Act or their regulations, the Act and/or Regulations prevail. This email was sent to you in the language of your choice. The information on the IRCC website is available in both official languages. The masculine form is used for convenience; it refers to all genders.
No confusion to me. Are you in Canada or in your home country? Do you have an approved study permit or is it in process?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018

Good day,

Conditions imposed:

School in Québec:

Sincerely,

Denis, agent 4176

Totally your choice, man. The info from the IRCC website is very clear. As @Naturgrl said, are you inside Canada? Are you transitioning levels from one school inside Canada to another school inside Canada?

Again, choice is yours and yours alone.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Good day,

Conditions imposed:

School in Québec:

Sincerely,

Denis, agent 4176

Unfortunately sometimes customer service is unaware of new rules. You should follow the rules updated in June 2021.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But I'm moving from high school to post-secondary so this doesn't require a new permit as per the guidelines written. The other is if your already studying in a university and want to change which is not my case.

Moving to the next education level
If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels. This could be:

• primary to high school
  • high school to post-secondary
  • post-secondary to high school or
  • any other move between school levels
You should really reapply for a study permit and it would be best to apply before coming to Canada in case your 2nd application gets denied. Being in Canada will not improve the chances of getting your study permit approved for your new school or program. If there is limited time you also may not get approval/refusal for this semester so you will either have to attend the first program or wait in Canada without studying or working.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

Good day,

Conditions imposed:

School in Québec:

Sincerely,

Denis, agent 4176

Did you let them know you are still outside Canada?

If you've read through the recent discussions on this topic in this forum, you'd see that I had the similar experience with IRCC officials not know about the new policy until I pressed. Below are the screenshots of my email discussions with them.

As everyone have said to you many times already even before today, the choice is yours. This is about your future, not ours. You don't need to convince us here - we already understand the rules and I personally have applied it as required by applying for (and receiving) my new study permit.

First image is IRCC's response to me when I asked them about changing DLI and to confirm that my dependents don't need to re-apply (I was already told this on Twitter but I needed to be doubly sure), and also if my new application will be finalised before my booked trip in July:

2 days later, I got the email below from the same IRCC office, apologising for the mail they sent above:

I responded to their email above with this:

30 minutes later, they responded with this (not sure why they claim not to know I was still outside Canada cos I CLEARLY stated that in my initial webform. Also, why would I have emailing my local VO (Pretoria Office) if I was already in Canada?:

Reactions: rogelcorral