+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changes on Oct 11, 2017 - Executive summary/FAQ C-6

bbears27

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Personally, I would do it before you apply. Definitely, not during as it causes delays. If you know you are going to change it, I would do it now then submit. The forms ask for all previous names so if some dates or trips are listed under your maiden name, they will still find you. I would change your name on the PR card and passport from your home country before. I think it would be easier.
That is what I have planned to do but since I'm eligible by early January 2018, I wouldn't have my new passport by then. I takes a while to renew my passport and change my surname and PR card too (I heard it takes at least 3 months). So I decided to just do nothing on my documents and wait to apply citizenship first.

Reactions: blueangel371115

mcgyver

Apr 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
16-04-2015
Med's Done....
29-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-06-2015 Decision Made: 30-06-2015 PP Submitted...: 1-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015 PP Returned....: 11-08-2015
LANDED..........
01-10-2015
Per new checklist, it specifies: original police certificate or clearances from each country where you were present for a total of 183 days or more in the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application.

So I believe it would be: if you submit your application on 25OCT17, the time taking into account would be 25OCT13 - 25OCT17.

This is really a weird situation because it makes a common applicant do exactly the same thing twice in life. Let me explain with a common scenario of an immigrant.

If someone completes 3 years in Canada today as a PR, and therefore becomes eligible to apply for citizenship, that most likely means he landed 3 years ago as a PR. Where was he before that? Most likely in his home country. So, for how long was he in his home country before he landed 3 years ago? Mostly likely the entire year prior to landing; not just 183 days! After all, he had to go through the pain of waiting and waiting as his PR case was being processed... (Again, I am describing a typical scenario). Perhaps he never left his country ever before coming to Canada.

So, in other words, in the 4th year prior to applying for citizenship, he was most likely in his home country for 365 days out of 365 days! As a result, he now has to collect an original police clearance from his mother land.

BUT WAIT! Didn't he have to submit an original police clearance from his native land a long time ago as a requirement for his PR application?

Thence, he needs to do it 2 times in life, in total. The process is bureaucratically so challenging in some countries that each time is bad enough.

Last edited:

Krutika

Star Member
May 5, 2016
Hi all, quick question on 4(b) ..
"What is your name as shown exactly on your most recent immigration document?"

Help shows 3 options for immigration documents, PR Card, COPR or Record of Landing ..

My middle name is long, so last two letters/characters are cut off on my drivers license, health card, and PR card ..
However, my COPR document has it listed correctly (I guess their system had enough characters to accommodate the name).

Now, the most recent one would be the PR Card, as far as I can tell ..

Should I list my middle name as it is in PR Card (which is not correct) or COPR (which is correct) ?
Also, is there a way I can just not use my middle name ..? I'd rather just use first and last name officially, if possible ..

Thanks in advance for your help guys !

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
For question 11, May I know what to put for Name of Contact, email address, phone number when you are a student? Thank you

duplex

Sep 3, 2012
I am having a question for question 6, it states that "List any other names used including name at birth, maiden name, previous married name(s), aliases and nicknames."

My name on PR/CoPR/passport have always been the same, so question 4 and 5 are simple. However, since my first name is not easy to pronounce so I go by a typical English name (e.g. Peter while my original name might be e.g. Jung-En Kim) for others to call me easily after I moved to Canada. However, in my bank account/gas/water/electricity bill it is always my official name. This English name (Peter) is only used by my friends/colleagues/etc.

In this case, for question 6 do I put "nick name" in provide details, "Kim" in Last name, and "Peter" in Given name, or I don't have to bother with it and just put down "N/A" as well? Will adding a nickname here cause delay/trigger RQ?

Thank you for sharing your input/experience.

CECapplicantXX

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Filed Recived on 11-07-2013
IELTS Request
Included with App
Hi everyone,

Do we need to translate entry and exit stamps on the passport?

I have been to countries where their entry stamps are in different languages.

Thank you

Reactions: Malibaba

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
For question 11, May I know what to put for Name of Contact, email address, phone number when you are a student? Thank you
Others have asked same. Perhaps for a certain answer, call IRCC at 888-242-2100 or just put a contact/chair in the department office of your faculty or the university main office.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
This is really a weird situation because it makes a common applicant do exactly the same thing twice in life. Let me explain with a common scenario of an immigrant.

If someone completes 3 years in Canada today as a PR, and therefore becomes eligible to apply for citizenship, that most likely means he landed 3 years ago as a PR. Where was he before that? Most likely in his home country. So, for how long was he in his home country before he landed 3 years ago? Mostly likely the entire year prior to landing; not just 183 days! After all, he had to go through the pain of waiting and waiting as his PR case was being processed... (Again, I am describing a typical scenario). Perhaps he never left his country ever before coming to Canada.

So, in other words, in the 4th year prior to applying for citizenship, he was most likely in his home country for 365 days out of 365 days! As a result, he now has to collect an original police clearance from his mother land.

BUT WAIT! Didn't he have to submit an original police clearance from his native land a long time ago as a requirement for his PR application?

Thence, he needs to do it 2 times in life, in total. The process is bureaucratically so challenging in some countries that each time is bad enough.
There are many arguments to have about this, but unfortunately your logic has errors. The PCC submitted for the PR application did not cover most of that last year in the home country. In particular it takes a while before convictions show up in the PCC.

One might still argue that they ask for too much of course. But it is not unnecessary. Also imagine the processing times if case workers were expected to find the original application in the archive to confirm the pcc is in order.

Reactions: torontoguy87

Nawazt

Oct 8, 2017
Hi Spyfy.... Can i use photocopy of police certificate which i submitted prior coming to Canada? Or do i request new one from my home country.

mcgyver

Apr 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
16-04-2015
Med's Done....
29-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-06-2015 Decision Made: 30-06-2015 PP Submitted...: 1-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015 PP Returned....: 11-08-2015
LANDED..........
01-10-2015
There are many arguments to have about this, but unfortunately your logic has errors. The PCC submitted for the PR application did not cover most of that last year in the home country. In particular it takes a while before convictions show up in the PCC.

One might still argue that they ask for too much of course. But it is not unnecessary. Also imagine the processing times if case workers were expected to find the original application in the archive to confirm the pcc is in order.
spyfy, I think you are right. I overlooked that people submit PCC's at an early stage in the PR application processing so PCC's would partially cover the final year or even leave out that year entirely! Good thinking.

About your last line, no, I would not expect the IRCC Officers to dig out some old PR files. My hope would be that they would think that because the applicant had gone through the PR processing once he must have sent the PCC from the native land anyway. But then it might not have covered the final year. So, you are right.

Last edited:

tamu_anand

May 23, 2017
I am struggling to print the form. When I hit the print bottoms, no thing happens. Checking the security of file, it also says printing: not allowed. I filled the form in one more time, no change. Please share your experiences.
I am able to print it by using the print button in that application (not the print within adobe pdf) - when I do it this way all the buttons like "save/reset/print" disappear and you can print out the filled document

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
spyfy, I think you are right. I overlooked that people submit PCC's at an early stage in the PR application processing so PCC's would partially cover the final year or even leave out that year entirely! Good thinking.

About your last line, no, I would not expect the IRCC Officers to dig out some old PR files. My hope would be that they would think that because the applicant had gone through the PR processing once he must have sent the PCC from the native land anyway. But then it might not have covered the final year. So, you are right.
Yeah, but just to clarify: I am totally aware of the hassle to get another police certificate. So just let me be clear that I completely understand the frustration despite the fact that on a formal level I am right.