Changes on Oct 11, 2017 - Executive summary/FAQ C-6

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
What source is the following information based on?
- A press conference given by the minister himself on October 4, 2017 in Brampton
- Bill C-6 as passed by parliament in June 2017
- Here is the news release: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/10/government_of_canadaimplementsnewlegislativechangestothecitizens.html

Which changes will come into effect on Oct 11, 2017?
- You need to be present in Canada for 3 out of 5 years to be eligible.
- You can count days before becoming a Permanent Resident, but they only count as half-days and you can gain at most a year of pre-PR credit (730 half-days = 365 full days is the maximum)
- You need to have fulfilled the tax filing requirements during three years
- You only need proof of language and pass the knowledge test if you are ages 18 to 54
- There used to be an additional provision that you had to have several years in which you were present at least 183 days. That additional provision is gone.
- Note that the "intend to reside" clause has been gone since June already.

Can I use the current forms to apply?
No, you have to wait for the new forms. If you apply as a 3/5 person with the old forms, your application will be refused. You can still apply with the old forms, but you will be assessed according to the 4/6 rule (see below).

When will the new forms be available?
On October 11 the latest, on the IRCC website. Rest assured that there will be about 50 posts in this forum once the new forms become available :)

Does that mean currently pending applications are now assessed according to 3/5?
No, what counts is not the regulations the day "IRCC opens your envelope". It is exclusively the regulations that were in force the day you sent the application. So all pending applications as of today and all applications sent in before October 11 will be assessed according to the old rules!

Do I now need police certificates only for the last three years?
The police certificate threshold ("have you been present in another country for more than 183 days in the previous four years") is independent from all the rule changes above. There has been no indication by IRCC that they intent to change the regulations regarding police certificates. So you should expect that four years is still the rule.

How does the tax filing requirement work, do I have to have three tax returns filed?
No, it does not say "You must have filed three tax returns". It says "In at least three of the past years, IF you were required to file, THEN you must have filed". But if, for example, you were a stay-at-home-dad or stay-at-home-mom and didn't have any income in a year, you weren't required to file, so that is OK. Off topic remark: For the future, always file taxes, even if you don't have to. You will actually get money back!

For the Pre-PR credit, do days as a visitor count?
Yes, it doesn't matter if you were a visitor, student or worker. Note, though, that it is on you to prove your presence in Canada as a visitor. Canada only knows when you entered as a visitor. It is then your job to prove that you were in Canada as long as you claim. This is easy, for example, if your spouse was working and you were living with them.

I stayed in Canada back in 2003. Does that count?
Nothing that is more than five years ago ever counts.

My language test results expired. Can I still use them?
Yes, if their expiry is the only problem, you can still use them.

Transitional cases: I applied under 4/6 but I am over 54, will I still be required to write the test?
Yes, according to section 17.1 and 18 of Bill C-6, the rules when you applied are relevant.

Transitional cases: I applied for my dependent child under 4/6 who is older than 14 but younger than 18, will they still be required to write the test?
No, according to section 17.1 and section 19, the new age range applies. This is only true for minors! If you are over 54, see above.

One request:
I know it's a lot to ask for in this forum, but please: Factual questions only. Debate/Opinion in the other threads.

Last edited:

AnilGurung

Nov 9, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPO-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-1-2014
Med's Done....
05-02-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/2014
LANDED..........
1/03/2014
awesome!
Thanks!!!!!

scorpio_g

Sep 12, 2017
What source is the following information based on?
- A press conference given by the minister himself on October 4, 2017 in Brampton
- Bill C-6 as passed by parliament in June 2017

Which changes will come into effect on Oct 11, 2017?
- You need to be present in Canada for 3 out of 5 years to be eligible.
- You can count days before becoming a Permanent Resident, but they only count as half-days and you can gain at most a year of pre-PR credit (730 half-days = 365 full days is the maximum)
- You need to have fulfilled the tax filing requirements during three years
- You only need proof of language and pass the knowledge test if you are ages 18 to 54
- There used to be an additional provision that you had to have several years in which you were present at least 183 days. That additional provision is gone.
- Note that the "intend to reside" clause has been gone since June already.

Can I use the current forms to apply?
No, you have to wait for the new forms. If you apply as a 3/5 person with the old forms, your application will be refused. You can still apply with the old forms, but you will be assessed according to the 4/6 rule (see below).

When will the new forms be available?
On October 11 the latest, on the IRCC website. Rest assured that there will be about 50 posts in this forum once the new forms become available :)

Does that mean currently pending applications are now assessed according to 3/5?
No, what counts is not the regulations the day "IRCC opens your envelope". It is exclusively the regulations that were in force the day you sent the application. So all pending applications as of today and all applications sent in before October 11 will be assessed according to the old rules!

Do I now need police certificates only for the last three years?
The police certificate threshold ("have you been present in another country for more than 183 days in the previous four years") is independent from all the rule changes above. There has been no indication by IRCC that they intent to change the regulations regarding police certificates. So you should expect that four years is still the rule.

How does the tax filing requirement work, do I have to have three tax returns filed?
No, it does not say "You must have filed three tax returns". It says "In at least three of the past years, IF you were required to file, THEN you must have filed". But if, for example, you were a stay-at-home-dad or stay-at-home-mom and didn't have any income in a year, you weren't required to file, so that is OK. Off topic remark: For the future, always file taxes, even if you don't have to. You will actually get money back!

For the Pre-PR credit, do days as a visitor count?
Yes, it doesn't matter if you were a visitor, student or worker. Note, though, that it is on you to prove your presence in Canada as a visitor. Canada only knows when you entered as a visitor. It is then your job to prove that you were in Canada as long as you claim. This is easy, for example, if your spouse was working and you were living with them.
You rock!

aska-phd

Star Member
Oct 14, 2014
Spyfy: What does it mean exactly four years for police certificate? Is it four years from the date of application?
And, Should we submit the police certificate with the application? Is it one of the requirements?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Spyfy: What does it mean exactly four years for police certificate? Is it four years from the date of application?
And, Should we submit the police certificate with the application? Is it one of the requirements?
Yes, four years back from the date of application. Yes, if you have been in another country for more than 183 days in the past four years, you need to submit the police certificate with the application.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
Hey spyfy,

Do I need to do IELTS again? I had already done it back when I was applying for PR. Most definitely expired.

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
I am going to be travelling then. Is it a problem if I ask a friend in another province to mail it for me?

aska-phd

Star Member
Oct 14, 2014
Yes, four years back from the date of application. Yes, if you have been in another country for more than 183 days in the past four years, you need to submit the police certificate with the application.
Thank you. Just to fully understand. If I submitted my application on Oct. 11, 2017 then back to Oct. 11, 2013,
The question is ,during this period of time, if I stayed in another country more than 183 days, I must submit a police certificate from that country. Now my concern is, I stayed from July 1, 2013 till Jan. 10 2014 in another country, do I still need a police certificate from this country?

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
If I were you guys, I would pay the fees today. I am doing it now for me and my husband. I am almost 100% sure IRCC payment system will go down at some point considering the influx of citizens-wanna-be like myself :)

boven2012

Star Member
Feb 1, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
03-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2012
Med's Request
03-08-2013
Med's Done....
17-08-2013
LANDED..........
20-01-2014
Hi Spyfy,
Thanks for the update and neat work!
Just wondering if there any change in the citizenship fees with the new rule?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you. Just to fully understand. If I submitted my application on Oct. 11, 2017 then back to Oct. 11, 2013,
The question is ,during this period of time, if I stayed in another country more than 183 days, I must submit a police certificate from that country. Now my concern is, I stayed from July 1, 2013 till Jan. 10 2014 in another country, do I still need a police certificate from this country?
What counts are the days from October 11, 2013 to January 10, 2014. That is less than 183 days. So if you never went to that country again, you are below 183 days and don't need a police certificate.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012

boven2012

Star Member
Feb 1, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
03-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2012
Med's Request
03-08-2013
Med's Done....
17-08-2013
LANDED..........
20-01-2014
If I were you guys, I would pay the fees today. I am doing it now for me and my husband. I am almost 100% sure IRCC payment system will go down at some point considering the influx of citizens-wanna-be like myself :)
But are you sure about the exact fees? is there any change?