+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change of expiry date on PR card, if lost !!

architrato

Nov 30, 2012
Hi,
i ve been informed by one of immigrants that in case of losing a PRC, CIC then will re-issue new one to the immigrant , basically five years validity from the re-issuance date !!

i wonder if it is true or not ????????????

thanks all.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If it is lost, you will have to inform immigration that is it lost and apply for a new one. As you apply for a new one, you will have to fill out your address history for the past 5 years. If you meet the residency requirements of 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years or if you are a PR for less than 5 years that you can still have 730 days in Canada before your first 5 years have passed, you will get a new PR card valid for another 5 years.

newcommer2018

Oct 18, 2018
Hi @Leon!!
I am facing exact same situation as mentioned in the first query.
In my case, I am not in compliance with my RO. The card is expiring next year and I need to travel outside Canada as well. If I inform IRCC that I have lost my PR card then would they issue me a PR card with the expiry date as per the original card or will they issue a 5 year card from the date of application?

Regards.

newcommer2018

Oct 18, 2018
If it is lost, you will have to inform immigration that is it lost and apply for a new one. As you apply for a new one, you will have to fill out your address history for the past 5 years. If you meet the residency requirements of 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years or if you are a PR for less than 5 years that you can still have 730 days in Canada before your first 5 years have passed, you will get a new PR card valid for another 5 years.

Hi @Leon!!
In my case, I am not in compliance with my RO. The card is expiring next year and I need to travel outside Canada as well. If I inform IRCC that I have lost my PR card then would they issue me a PR card with the expiry date as per the original card or will they issue a 5 year card from the date of application?

Regards.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi @Leon!!

Regards.
I don't know exactly the answer. But regardless of the expiry date of the replacement PR card. CBSA can still check your RO when you entered back into Canada.
(even if you cross the land border from US without a PR card, they can still check your RO)

Reactions: dpenabill

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi @Leon!!

Regards.
So basically you're saying that you'd like to pretend you lost your card in order to game the system and get a PR card renewal in as 'lost', and on the hope that IRCC won't, ummm, check your RO compliance now?

There's a line from Spinal Tap that would seem to apply - it's a fine line indeed.

newcommer2018

Oct 18, 2018
I don't know exactly the answer. But regardless of the expiry date of the replacement PR card. CBSA can still check your RO when you entered back into Canada.
(even if you cross the land border from US without a PR card, they can still check your RO)
The current card was supposed to expire next year and I want to ask them for a replacement card. Whether CBSA would issue the replacement card with the new expiry date or old expiry date is my question?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
The current card was supposed to expire next year and I want to ask them for a replacement card. Whether CBSA would issue the replacement card with the new expiry date or old expiry date is my question?
As I said. I do not know the exact answer. Hopefully others can asnwer your question.

Reactions: newcommer2018

newcommer2018

Oct 18, 2018
So basically you're saying that you'd like to pretend you lost your card in order to game the system and get a PR card renewal in as 'lost', and on the hope that IRCC won't, ummm, check your RO compliance now?

There's a line from Spinal Tap that would seem to apply - it's a fine line indeed.
Sarcasm was not requested.