+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in name in PR Card after splitting name in Indian Passport

Abdul Khan

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Vishalv,
I am in same situation . I got my renewed Indian passport with name split.I want to travel to Indian in a month. Can I travel with new passport and old PR card.
I will really appreciate your help.
Hi Vishal, Just wanted to see if you got it done for you. I am in the same situation. I got the Indian Passport, do I need to get the Ontario Name Change Certificate too? Do I have to explain that in the form that I already got the indian passport wth correct name and now I need a certificate?
How did you do it? Thank you!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Abdul Khan

Jun 17, 2019
Hello,

I am an Indian Passport holder staying in Canada on PR. My Indian passport didn't have surname and I fiilled my Canadian PR application based on that and now my PR Card, COPR , SIN has the name in same format.

Recently, I renewed my expiring passport in India and used the option to split my first name and last name (provided an affidavit and local newspaper ad to India Passsport office as supporting documents). Now, the problem is my PR Card and Passport names don't match. This is causing problem at the airport (both Canada and US), where the Kiosk machine can't scan my PR card. Immigration officer told me get it fixed in the PR card.

Now based on the older threads and the CIC website, I know, I have to apply for PR card renewal, but my question is that do I have to get the legal name change certifcate from Service Canada?

CIC website has the following information, but it is not very clear to me if my updated Indian passport would be enough for the PR card renewal application?

Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:

• a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, or
  • one of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
    • a marriage certificate;
    • divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;
    • revocation of declaration or annulment of union.
If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:

• a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.
Hi,

Just wanted to see if you got your PR card with split name. What was the process? I haven't applied for the Province Name Change Certificate. Is it required? Thank you1

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Yes, I got my name updated in PR Card without any provincial name change certificate. So, what I did was, I wrote a letter of explanation and submitted the documents that I used in India to get my passport updated (These were mandatory documents asked by passport office - Affidavit of name change, name of change notice in two newspaper).

Reactions: chits.krishnan22

Jas88sidhu

Sep 8, 2015
Hi
Did u travel from India to Canada with renewed passport ?did you receive any difficulty at indian airport with different name on passport and PR card??
I am in same situation.I renewed my passport in Ontario and is travelling to India very soon with same PR card,

Please help
Hi
i am in similar situation, i renewed my passport and added husband's Last name on my indian passport and my PR card still have the my full name in my last name , so wondering if you have any issues with different last name on PR card and Indian Passport while travelling?

Thanks

Jun 6, 2017
Yes, I got my name updated in PR Card without any provincial name change certificate. So, what I did was, I wrote a letter of explanation and submitted the documents that I used in India to get my passport updated (These were mandatory documents asked by passport office - Affidavit of name change, name of change notice in two newspaper).
Hi,

I have couple of questions. I currently reside in Ontario and got my names split on Indian passport here in BLS Toronto office. Now I want to update the same on PR card. Based on your experience, one doesnt need provincial name change certificate. So can I just write a letter addressing the issue with required docs - although for splitting names on passport here, no affidavit of name change was asked.
So what specific docs will be required?

Appreciate your response. Thanks in advance!!

sangpll2009

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Hi,

I have couple of questions. I currently reside in Ontario and got my names split on Indian passport here in BLS Toronto office. Now I want to update the same on PR card. Based on your experience, one doesnt need provincial name change certificate. So can I just write a letter addressing the issue with required docs - although for splitting names on passport here, no affidavit of name change was asked.
So what specific docs will be required?

Appreciate your response. Thanks in advance!!
Could you share the procedure you followed please?

Jun 6, 2017
Could you share the procedure you followed please?
Unfortunately, a written letter with some documents didnt suffice for my application. I received an email from CPC stating I need to submit Legal name change document with Police record check within 30 days (which is highly impossible), else have to go with new file submission.
Lets see if any extension in the timeline works or have to start all over again. :(

karthicktalk

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
Unfortunately, a written letter with some documents didnt suffice for my application. I received an email from CPC stating I need to submit Legal name change document with Police record check within 30 days (which is highly impossible), else have to go with new file submission.
Lets see if any extension in the timeline works or have to start all over again. :(
What happened after that? If we are not able to provide within 30 days, do they send PR card with old name?

Jun 6, 2017
What happened after that? If we are not able to provide within 30 days, do they send PR card with old name?

****UPDATE****

Successfully received legal name change document after correctly uploading all the documents within a month (this happened back in March 2021). Process is smooth and relatively easy. Only thing is you need to notarize every document through a lawyer for them to authorize. Then uploaded this certificate along with new passport and other relevant documents and received new PR cards with name split. That takes around 2 months. Due to pandemic, everything was online and every correspondence was through Case processing centre. We then gradually changed other relevant identity cards/docs like Driver's License, photo card if any, health card etc.

Overall, I would say it takes around 3-5 months starting from application of name change certificate until receiving your new PR cards. Also, expect around $500 including both process, but worth doing it to make your life easy.

Also, please note that you must have Legal name change certificate even its for splitting your name in the PR card. A simple written document recequesting name split didnt help in our case.

Good luck!

Sabhi4Saini

Jan 8, 2024
****UPDATE****

Successfully received legal name change document after correctly uploading all the documents within a month (this happened back in March 2021). Process is smooth and relatively easy. Only thing is you need to notarize every document through a lawyer for them to authorize. Then uploaded this certificate along with new passport and other relevant documents and received new PR cards with name split. That takes around 2 months. Due to pandemic, everything was online and every correspondence was through Case processing centre. We then gradually changed other relevant identity cards/docs like Driver's License, photo card if any, health card etc.

Overall, I would say it takes around 3-5 months starting from application of name change certificate until receiving your new PR cards. Also, expect around $500 including both process, but worth doing it to make your life easy.

Also, please note that you must have Legal name change certificate even its for splitting your name in the PR card. A simple written document recequesting name split didnt help in our case.

Good luck!

Hi, I just reached this page after searching so much on the internet, and I found this page has some real information. So, i am in the same position. My Indian passport expiry is in 6 months, and i also dont have surname on my passport, I just have Given name, I actually wanted to add a surname to my passport. Please help me with little information as you have already done it. As i was reading on Bls website, they ask for government Id's with surname and newspaper ads. At the moment I don't have any id with my surname added. I heard in India it is easier to update surname on passport as my parents did that already. But I am current residing in Toronto. please guide me with little information. Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I just reached this page after searching so much on the internet, and I found this page has some real information. So, i am in the same position. My Indian passport expiry is in 6 months, and i also dont have surname on my passport, I just have Given name, I actually wanted to add a surname to my passport. Please help me with little information as you have already done it. As i was reading on Bls website, they ask for government Id's with surname and newspaper ads. At the moment I don't have any id with my surname added. I heard in India it is easier to update surname on passport as my parents did that already. But I am current residing in Toronto. please guide me with little information. Thanks
You can do a legal name change in Ontario, just google. On the basis of that, you should be able to update Canadian docs and change Indian passport. (I've no direct experience with the Indian passport part, but plenty of others have done this);

Reactions: Sabhi4Saini

Sabhi4Saini

Jan 8, 2024
Hi, I just reached this page after searching so much on the internet, and I found this page has some real information. I found some of you guys actually did all this.
So, i am in the same position. My Indian passport expiry is in 6 months, and i also dont have surname on my passport, I just have Given name, I actually wanted to add a surname to my passport. Please help me with little information as you have already done it. As i was reading on Bls website, they ask for government Id's with surname and newspaper ads. At the moment I don't have any id with my surname added. My aadhar is also same without the surname, only one name.
I heard in India it is easier to update surname on passport as my parents did that already by just giving ad in newpaper and then aadhar card update and then there name was updated on their passport. But I am current residing in Toronto. please guide me with little information. Thanks

Sabhi4Saini

Jan 8, 2024
You can do a legal name change in Ontario, just google. On the basis of that, you should be able to update Canadian docs and change Indian passport. (I've no direct experience with the Indian passport part, but plenty of others have done this);
Yeah brother, I went through the internet and I find name change in Ontario is not much of a hassle,

I just wanted information regarding how to update surname on passport here in Canada.

But I appreciate your reply, thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah brother, I went through the internet and I find name change in Ontario is not much of a hassle,

I just wanted information regarding how to update surname on passport here in Canada.

But I appreciate your reply, thanks
Other threads here have addressed, I think it's through the company that provides passport-related consular services here.