+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in name in PR Card after splitting name in Indian Passport

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by india_user25, May 13, 2018.

  1. Hello,

    I am an Indian Passport holder staying in Canada on PR. My Indian passport didn't have surname and I fiilled my Canadian PR application based on that and now my PR Card, COPR , SIN has the name in same format.

    Recently, I renewed my expiring passport in India and used the option to split my first name and last name (provided an affidavit and local newspaper ad to India Passsport office as supporting documents). Now, the problem is my PR Card and Passport names don't match. This is causing problem at the airport (both Canada and US), where the Kiosk machine can't scan my PR card. Immigration officer told me get it fixed in the PR card.

    Now based on the older threads and the CIC website, I know, I have to apply for PR card renewal, but my question is that do I have to get the legal name change certifcate from Service Canada?

    CIC website has the following information, but it is not very clear to me if my updated Indian passport would be enough for the PR card renewal application?

    Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:

    • a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, or
    • one of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
      • a marriage certificate;
      • divorce decree;
      • registration;
      • declaration of union;
      • revocation of declaration or annulment of union.
    If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:

    • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
    • an official document linking the old and new names.
  2. hey Bro,
    did you receive any information on this issue.
    I am in same situation.
  3. Are you currently residing in Ontario ? If yes, I can advise the steps needed to rectify the issue.
  4. I have the same issue and reside in Ontario, please help.

Share This Page