+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in name in PR Card after splitting name in Indian Passport

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hello,

I am an Indian Passport holder staying in Canada on PR. My Indian passport didn't have surname and I fiilled my Canadian PR application based on that and now my PR Card, COPR , SIN has the name in same format.

Recently, I renewed my expiring passport in India and used the option to split my first name and last name (provided an affidavit and local newspaper ad to India Passsport office as supporting documents). Now, the problem is my PR Card and Passport names don't match. This is causing problem at the airport (both Canada and US), where the Kiosk machine can't scan my PR card. Immigration officer told me get it fixed in the PR card.

Now based on the older threads and the CIC website, I know, I have to apply for PR card renewal, but my question is that do I have to get the legal name change certifcate from Service Canada?

CIC website has the following information, but it is not very clear to me if my updated Indian passport would be enough for the PR card renewal application?

Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:

• a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, or
  • one of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
    • a marriage certificate;
    • divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;
    • revocation of declaration or annulment of union.
If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:

• a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.

fromleo

Jun 13, 2018
Hello,

I am an Indian Passport holder staying in Canada on PR. My Indian passport didn't have surname and I fiilled my Canadian PR application based on that and now my PR Card, COPR , SIN has the name in same format.

Recently, I renewed my expiring passport in India and used the option to split my first name and last name (provided an affidavit and local newspaper ad to India Passsport office as supporting documents). Now, the problem is my PR Card and Passport names don't match. This is causing problem at the airport (both Canada and US), where the Kiosk machine can't scan my PR card. Immigration officer told me get it fixed in the PR card.

Now based on the older threads and the CIC website, I know, I have to apply for PR card renewal, but my question is that do I have to get the legal name change certifcate from Service Canada?

CIC website has the following information, but it is not very clear to me if my updated Indian passport would be enough for the PR card renewal application?

Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:

• one of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
    • divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;
If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:

• a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
hey Bro,
did you receive any information on this issue.
I am in same situation.

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hello,

• divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;

Are you currently residing in Ontario ? If yes, I can advise the steps needed to rectify the issue.

thedippaar

Oct 22, 2012
Are you currently residing in Ontario ? If yes, I can advise the steps needed to rectify the issue.
Hi Vishal - I have the same issue with name split for first and last name; got the Indian passport corrected. Can you provide the details to get it fixed on PR card, as mine is up for renewal soon?

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hi Vishal - I have the same issue with name split for first and last name; got the Indian passport corrected. Can you provide the details to get it fixed on PR card, as mine is up for renewal soon?
I have the same issue and reside in Ontario, please help.

If you reside in Ontario, you can split your given name by applying for a name change certificate.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name#section-0

Once you obtain the name change certificate, you can then change the name in bank account, driving license, health card by visiting any Service Ontario centre.

You can then change your name in SIN by visiting any Service Canada centre.

Then you can change the name in your PR card by submitting a renewal application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

Simultaneously, assuming you are an Indian passport holder, you can split your name in your passport too.

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/new_ppt.php

As someone who has done all the above process, I can say that it will take around 5 to 6 months. Good luck :)

thedippaar

Oct 22, 2012
If you reside in Ontario, you can split your given name by applying for a name change certificate.

Once you obtain the name change certificate, you can then change the name in bank account, driving license, health card by visiting any Service Ontario centre.

Then you can change the name in your PR card by submitting a renewal application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

Simultaneously, assuming you are an Indian passport holder, you can split your name in your passport too.

As someone who has done all the above process, I can say that it will take around 5 to 6 months. Good luck :)

Thanks Vishal, for sharing this information.
Have few q's...my PR is expiring in May'19 and I plan to submit for PR renewal in March.
- Do you think by March I can complete the name change and be ready for PR renewal submission? I know you stated 5-6 months, and I am assuming that includes PR renewal. How long it takes for everything else excluding PR renewal?
- During renewal, do we need to send the old PR card? I have few travels planned out of country after March'19, if so can I travel out of country while the PR renewal is submitted?

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Thanks Vishal, for sharing this information.
Have few q's...my PR is expiring in May'19 and I plan to submit for PR renewal in March.
- Do you think by March I can complete the name change and be ready for PR renewal submission? I know you stated 5-6 months, and I am assuming that includes PR renewal. How long it takes for everything else excluding PR renewal?
- During renewal, do we need to send the old PR card? I have few travels planned out of country after March'19, if so can I travel out of country while the PR renewal is submitted?
If you submit the Ontario name change application now, you can expect to receive it in 6-8 weeks. It is reasonable to expect your name change certificate by end of February.

The whole process of name change including everything is around 5-6 months. Excluding PR renewal, the whole process including changing the passport might take around 4 months. There is a good chance that you might be ready to apply for PR renewal by name change by March.

If you are renewing the PR only to update the name change, then you don't need to send in the current PR card. A photocopy will be sufficient.

U005

Feb 1, 2019
Hello,

• divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;

Hi
Did u travel from India to Canada with renewed passport ?did you receive any difficulty at indian airport with different name on passport and PR card??
I am in same situation.I renewed my passport in Ontario and is travelling to India very soon with same PR card,

Please help

Last edited:

U005

Feb 1, 2019
Hi Vishalv,
I am in same situation . I got my renewed Indian passport with name split.I want to travel to Indian in a month. Can I travel with new passport and old PR card.
I will really appreciate your help.

Reactions: Abdul Khan

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hi Vishalv,
I am in same situation . I got my renewed Indian passport with name split.I want to travel to Indian in a month. Can I travel with new passport and old PR card.
I will really appreciate your help.
Ideally, you shouldn't have an issue. As a backup, I would suggest to carry the Ontario name change certificate with you just in case.

ca.nishant

Jun 30, 2014
Hello,

• divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;

HI , I am in the same situation however i have yet to change the name on my passport.They say to give ad in 2 english newpaper. One local and one for India. As you have done this exercise , i wanted to ask how did you give ad in Ontario newspaper. I am surfing online however all i am able to find is indian newspaper ads but no information on how to book a name change ad in ontario ( brampton ) newspaper. Can you please help by letting me know the correct process.
thanks

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hello @vishalv - Could you please expand on what steps are needed here. I live in Ontario

Splitting the name doesnt require you to place ad in the newspaper. All you need is to submit a letter stating the reason why you want to split your name.

Reactions: MANVEERS90