+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances of student visa approval?

Oct 1, 2019
I have just hit 30 and my profile lost 5 points. I couldn't get the magical figures 8777 in IELTS and my Master's degree has been evaluated by WES as Two or More certificates(One year Masters Equivalent). I had already for Express Entry, I didn't get any invitation and my profile expired. I have an underlying condition for which my medical grade could be B. I'm fairly confident that if I keep taking the IELTS exam, I might actually achieve the score in a couple of attempts. But meanwhile, I don't want to waste my time as the more I age, the more I lose points. I've recently come to know that doing a masters program for at least 8 months would boost the CRS score. I wish I had known about it sooner. My plan is that since I already have 4 years of work experience and If I complete Masters in an year or two, I would be close to achieving my PR dream. My biggest fear is that student visa rejection. What are the odds of this happening?

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
I have just hit 30 and my profile lost 5 points. I couldn't get the magical figures 8777 in IELTS and my Master's degree has been evaluated by WES as Two or More certificates(One year Masters Equivalent). I had already for Express Entry, I didn't get any invitation and my profile expired. I have an underlying condition for which my medical grade could be B. I'm fairly confident that if I keep taking the IELTS exam, I might actually achieve the score in a couple of attempts. But meanwhile, I don't want to waste my time as the more I age, the more I lose points. I've recently come to know that doing a masters program for at least 8 months would boost the CRS score. I wish I had known about it sooner. My plan is that since I already have 4 years of work experience and If I complete Masters in an year or two, I would be close to achieving my PR dream. My biggest fear is that student visa rejection. What are the odds of this happening?
Using a study permit to immigrate and stay permanently in Canada should very likely result in a refusal

Oct 1, 2019
Using a study permit to immigrate and stay permanently in Canada should very likely result in a refusal
Thanks for your reply. Right now, I don't have an active application and I withdrew it almost 6 months ago. Is it still going to impact my student visa?

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
What was the subject in your masters? Based on that you need to choose masters in Canada that improves your situation. Give us more details

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As long as you pick a good / reputable university in Canada and the Master's program you select aligns to your previous education and work experience, you shouldn't have any issues getting the study permit approved.

Stay away from private universities like University Canada West. Bad reputation, bad education, poor reputation with employers = much lower chances a study permit will be approved. Do your research and stick with public universities.

Oct 1, 2019
As long as you pick a good / reputable university in Canada and the Master's program you select aligns to your previous education and work experience, you shouldn't have any issues getting the study permit approved.

Stay away from private universities like University Canada West. Bad reputation, bad education, poor reputation with employers = much lower chances a study permit will be approved. Do your research and stick with public universities.
Thanks for the reply. It's valuable info. Just how bad is University Canada West?! Even I heard it has a bad reputation and I don't even know much about Universities in Canada!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply. It's valuable info. Just how bad is University Canada West?! Even I heard it has a bad reputation and I don't even know much about Universities in Canada!
Really bad. It's a waste of money.

Also, lower chances the study permit will be approved since IRCC knows it's a bad school.

Again, stick with public universities. Stay away from all private schools.

Reactions: wonderbly

Aesopzai

Nov 22, 2014
All depends on ur SOP. Clear justification for every step ur taking like why ur going to canada for studies, career advancement etc..also choose a public university etc..and ur all set to go.. rest depends on fate.

itsmecan

Jun 10, 2021
It depends on your goal. If your end goal is to use it for immigration, why not. If you really want to have a good education then definitely go for public. Most people in this forum bad mouth private universities like UCW because employers in Canada don't value it as much. Is it bad? Depends on who you are hearing from. It is an approved DLI and easier to get into as no requirement for GMAT, etc. You just need to create a solid story line and rest is all luck!

Reactions: thegodfather99

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
It depends on your goal. Most people in this forum bad mouth private universities like UCW because employers in Canada don't value it as much. Is it bad? Depends on who you are hearing from. It is a approved DLI and easier to get into as no requirement for GMAT, etc. You just need to create a solid story line and rest is all luck!
It's reputation precedes it. I am here in Canada and I attended a Tech/Business summit few weeks ago in Saskatoon and there were people from all over Canada there. UCW, Crandall and Ambrose university were particularly mentioned in discussions as employers tend to avoid graduates from there - not because they are private, but because of lack of quality.

I know people go the study route for the ultimate goal of getting a PR, but to that, after you've completed your program you will need a long term job in the professional NOC to pursue a PR application. If employers won't hire you, you will have a hard time meeting that requirements.

Also, as mentioned above, VOs knows that this school accepts every Tom, Dick and Harry and that their admissions requirements are not as stringent, therefore they will most likely be attended by students who do not genuinely want to study. Hence, the higher refusal rates we see for private universities and colleges in general.

Like you said, if you opt for a private DLI, you'll need a lot of luck to accompany your application.

Last edited: