+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified Translations

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
I am getting my paperwork together to apply for a Canadian study permit.

Can someone please explain to me, as if I'm a five year old, the exact steps to be followed regarding translations done overseas (ideally by Argentine citizens but any help is appreciated).

My understanding is this:

1) Scan/take photographs of documents to be translated.
2) Send documents to translator to be translated from Spanish to English.
3) Translator translates the documents and provides their professional credentials (the affidavit).
4) A notary then validates the signature/seal of the translator and certifies that the copies are true.
5) Everything gets added to my application and uploaded to IRCC.

No-one actually gets to see the original documents? Really, it's the interaction between the translator and notary that I don't understand, and this concept of certified copies, when the original had remained with me.

Can someone explain?

Edit: I think I'm overcomplicating this. It seems that we have certified translators in Argentina, as they belong to a government institution with stamp/seal etc and provide a legalisation document with the translation (which acts as an affidavit in any case), so no notary is needed for this.

Last edited:

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I'll speak of my own experience, someone might say something different.

For my SP application, I used a translator in Colombia sent to my by the company that assessed my application. I paid around 10-15 USD per page. No affidavit. The translator does provide certification information as official translators. This was all handled online (submitted the documents on their website, received a quote, and paid online).

I used those documents to submit my SP and wife's SOWP and it was approved. I have been using them since then for my PGWP, PGWP extension, TRV, parents and in-laws TRV, and haven't had any issues.

The only times I have used Canadian official translators and notary are:
- When translating my driver's license to apply for a full G driver's license in Ontario (no notary, just official translator).
- When applying for my wife's medical degree credential assessment through Physicians Apply (official translator and notary).

Reactions: PabloSektman

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
Thank you for your input. I think I was overcomplicating things with the notary. As you say, affidavit is also not needed as the translators are official government sanctioned workers that provide all the certification required.

I will submit as per your experience!

Gracias!

Reactions: andrews17