+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified passport

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Hi everyone
As my husbands passport stamps needed to be translated for the renewal of his PR card we took copies of his expired passport and his current one to get certified . The paper was too thick for the lady to staple and put the paper corner on so she is stamping each page. I thought this would be fine until I started thinking about how that would stop anyone from removing a page from the certified copy? I know it would be hard to add one but would be very easy for anyone to remove a page since they're not stapled together. Is this going to be a problem when we send all his documents in?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you stapling each set of passports separate? Maybe go to Staples or a comparable binding shop type set up they will have a workable solution to this.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah I suggested this to her but she says she needs to be the one who staples it. Do you know if it's even nessacary to send a certified copy of the whole passport after getting the stamps translated?

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
kelsey199200 said:
Yeah I suggested this to her but she says she needs to be the one who staples it. Do you know if it's even nessacary to send a certified copy of the whole passport after getting the stamps translated?
CIC does ask for a photocopy of all pages of all passports.

When I went to the translation services, they photocopied it for me, but I brought better quality copies once the translations were ready — the ones taken by them got included in the package that stayed with me (not the one to send out). Each photocopy page got stamped.

So: translations for that passport came in first, along with the certification, then all pages of the specific passport and each and every one of them stamped; everything was stapled together. It's how the process of certification goes, I'm surprised your translator is dealing with it differently and not stapling together just stamping, as far as I know both are done, not just one or the other.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
We live on a big island so there's not many option for Arabic translations so we sent the copies of the pages with stamps to a translator in Vancouver, he sent those back certified and stapled/ stamped. So that only included the pages with stamps and my understanding was the passport copy ( pages with and without stamps) needs to be certified so I copied all the pages and took it to a notary. She said there was too many pages and they were too thick for her to staple so she just stamped them all as she could not staple. I'm confused now as how would that stop someone from removing pages of a passport that don't want immigration to see

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kelsey199200 said:
Photocopy of each passport page for all passports covering 5 year RO window needs to be provided. Only the translated pages need certification. Typically I would expect a page/s having a listed/bullet commentary stating e.g stamp 1 on Country X passport number Y in the name of Z is an entry stamp for country A, airport b, date c, time d. This replicated for each translated stamp. What exactly is the issue with it needing stapling? Is there a concern about you substituting pages? Maybe understanding this will help smooth things? Alternatively go somewhere else if its not too late.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
kelsey199200 said:
We live on a big island so there's not many option for Arabic translations so we sent the copies of the pages with stamps to a translator in Vancouver, he sent those back certified and stapled/ stamped. So that only included the pages with stamps and my understanding was the passport copy ( pages with and without stamps) needs to be certified so I copied all the pages and took it to a notary. She said there was too many pages and they were too thick for her to staple so she just stamped them all as she could not staple. I'm confused now as how would that stop someone from removing pages of a passport that don't want immigration to see
You don't need to take it to a notary. I'd recommend you use MOSAIC in Vancouver next time, I've used their services since 2010 and they never disappointed — and they have tons of experience with CIC; I believe it was a CIC initiative to begin with but I'd have to double check that.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kelsey199200 said:
So the certification is done. Was it done by a member in good standing of a Provincial organization for translators and interpreters? If yes then you don't need a notary. If translator not on the list then he/she must swear an affidavit on the accuracy of the translation and to their language capability. Only the translator can do this not you.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks everyone for replying. I've already got the translated copies certified, thought I had to get the passport certified as well since only the pages with stamps are certified from the translator. I just want everything to be straight forward with the documents and don't want to receive the dreaded questionnaires or additional documents / secondary review etc...I'm concerned they will think I've removed pages.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All clear now. You should be ok with your documents. How many days do you have? Applying at the 730 days mark with 'hard to prove presence' e.g unemployed the entire period and not a full time student would increase risk of RQ.