+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB Question

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
It is important to note that an application for the CERB covers a single four-week period. Applicants will have to confirm their continued eligibility for the CERB by reapplying for the benefit every four weeks, for a maximum of 16 weeks (or four periods).
There, saved you the trouble of an actual google search..

Apr 13, 2020
Hi all,
A large number of new immigrants who moved to Canada in the past few months (before COVID-19) have been unable to secure employment. Unfortunately, they are not eligible for the CERB since they do not meet the eligibility criteria. As you may be aware, most of these new immigrants have had to pay 6-12 months rent in advance, most especially in Ontario and B.C. because they are new. They have exhausted the funds they brought to Canada that was intended to sustain them for 6 months, on paying rents in advance.

Thank you.

Instagram - @Newbieincanada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,
A large number of new immigrants who moved to Canada in the past few months (before COVID-19) have been unable to secure employment. Unfortunately, they are not eligible for the CERB since they do not meet the eligibility criteria. As you may be aware, most of these new immigrants have had to pay 6-12 months rent in advance, most especially in Ontario and B.C. because they are new. They have exhausted the funds they brought to Canada that was intended to sustain them for 6 months, on paying rents in advance.

Thank you.

Instagram - @Newbieincanada
They would need to try and apply for welfare not CERB.

Unknownxyz

Apr 14, 2020
Hi, I received PR under spousal sponsorship. I came in November and I started working in December and lost my job because of Convid-19. Can I apply CERB and will I have to pay it back? Please confirm.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I received PR under spousal sponsorship. I came in November and I started working in December and lost my job because of Convid-19. Can I apply CERB and will I have to pay it back? Please confirm.
When did you lose your job and did you make over 5K?

Pradeep94

Feb 24, 2020
What happens to the current Spousal applications if we as a sponsor apply for Canada emergency benefit, will that have any impact on the current application?

sponsor1987

Apr 15, 2020
Hello,

I am a sponsor in the same boat as OP. My wife immigrated here and has received her PR 2.5 years ago under a spousal sponsorship application. She has worked most of 2018 and most of 2019. She was a contractual worker. Her last contract was in September and she had to terminate it prematurely for personal reasons (it would have only lasted until December regardless). Her income was in excess of 5000 in both 2018 and 2019. She currently is unemployed and has been unable to secure employment.

Myself, 1.5 years into taking my undertaking have developed a serious medical condition that places me in a high-risk group. I am working from home for the foreseeable future. As such, the feasibility of her 'just working at a grocery store' is understandably unsafe for me. Between my wage and some good financial planning before all of this happened, we can subsist on one income for a time however our hit to our savings is quite significant if this draws out for months and months. I am personally concerned about being compelled to choose between our savings decreasing significantly while the job market is dry or to ask my wife to work in a position that may put both of us at risk. She has been applying for 'remote' work for some time now but no one seems to be hiring at all.

Trudeau announced today the CERB applies to people making "$1000 or less" but specifically did not mention whether being unemployed at all fell under this conditional statement. Not being a contract worker, nor ever using EI before myself, I am unfamiliar with the nuance of being a contract worker and being 'unemployed' between jobs when it comes to EI or EI-related claims (which I have assumed the CERB to be). If my wife is eligible--and I do understand eligibility does seem to be changing week to week--this post seems to suggest that this would not be clawed back from myself. Like others, I am reticent to take that at its face due to the financial repercussions of the information being inaccurate.

I'd like to reiterate a question posted by someone else in this thread asking if anyone is aware of an official statement that can be referenced at a later date that excludes sponsors from repaying the CERB back for a sponsored spouse? It would be helpful to have something officially documented to give me peace of mind come tax time 2021 should this be an issue in the future.

Thank you all!

ddzel

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
Hello,

I am a sponsor in the same boat as OP. My wife immigrated here and has received her PR 2.5 years ago under a spousal sponsorship application. She has worked most of 2018 and most of 2019. She was a contractual worker. Her last contract was in September and she had to terminate it prematurely for personal reasons (it would have only lasted until December regardless). Her income was in excess of 5000 in both 2018 and 2019. She currently is unemployed and has been unable to secure employment.

Myself, 1.5 years into taking my undertaking have developed a serious medical condition that places me in a high-risk group. I am working from home for the foreseeable future. As such, the feasibility of her 'just working at a grocery store' is understandably unsafe for me. Between my wage and some good financial planning before all of this happened, we can subsist on one income for a time however our hit to our savings is quite significant if this draws out for months and months. I am personally concerned about being compelled to choose between our savings decreasing significantly while the job market is dry or to ask my wife to work in a position that may put both of us at risk. She has been applying for 'remote' work for some time now but no one seems to be hiring at all.

Trudeau announced today the CERB applies to people making "$1000 or less" but specifically did not mention whether being unemployed at all fell under this conditional statement. Not being a contract worker, nor ever using EI before myself, I am unfamiliar with the nuance of being a contract worker and being 'unemployed' between jobs when it comes to EI or EI-related claims (which I have assumed the CERB to be). If my wife is eligible--and I do understand eligibility does seem to be changing week to week--this post seems to suggest that this would not be clawed back from myself. Like others, I am reticent to take that at its face due to the financial repercussions of the information being inaccurate.

I'd like to reiterate a question posted by someone else in this thread asking if anyone is aware of an official statement that can be referenced at a later date that excludes sponsors from repaying the CERB back for a sponsored spouse? It would be helpful to have something officially documented to give me peace of mind come tax time 2021 should this be an issue in the future.

Thank you all!

From what I understand she would not be eligible for CERB or EI due to having left the job voluntarily. Regardless of whether the contract was going to be terminated in December, she left voluntarily prior to that.

Reactions: canuck78

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

Thank you all!

Click on the link
Scroll down to “ Who can apply “

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html
-You have not quit your job voluntarily

There’s your answer